Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

PaulTracey
Star

No joy for me either.  @CKopp if you didn't already (sorry if you did) please tell us what firmware version you had before upgrading and confirm your model.  I think there is a path issue because when the firmware is coming from the desktop it at least uploads and reboots...but I'm left w/ the same V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.  @IdahoScott Because I spent an eon fixing QOS settings for each device, and also some time w/ a very buggy access control - I too haven't tried a factory reset before updating to the latest - because I didn't want to have to redo all of that work.  Also, it's time consuming having to reset all the wireless settings.  Because I won't have a replacement for some time, it would be even more maddening to successfully revert to factory, but then fail to upgrade to the latest and have to reset all those settings for the house...AND be running an much more vulnerable firmware version.

Message 126 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

Thanks @Mrfatboy I really hope it works for you, and then you and @CKopp can help the rest of us figure out the missing detail preventing a successful upgrade.   Because the firmware file apparently was pushed successfully to the router, this shouldn't be an issue but what browser are you using for the upload?  I've tried the latest Edge, and earlier Chrome.  Again because other have tried with Tftpd64 I can't imagine how that should make any difference.  Just to be sure it's not a browser cache issue reporting the firmware version I cleared both earlier and that made no difference.

Message 127 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

My Firmware before upgrade was :V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.  After I am on: V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.

My model is the Netgear R7960P that costco sold.  I attached the file I used. At lease I tried too (choose file option) not sure where it went?

Message 128 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

Success!!!! I’m upgraded to the latest👍

Using windows 10 and chrome.

I unplugged the router for 5 minutes. Went to take a shower🤣

Came back, plugged in and powered on.

Move the .chk to desktop ( took it out of zip folder also)

Logged into my Netgear admin panel. Clicked Advanced->Administration

Browsed to the chk file. Uploaded.

In the lower left hand corner there is an upload percentage. This was previously stuck on 1% for me on previous attempts. Went fast now.

Router rebooted.

It took about 2 minutes for entire process.

Good luck👍

Message 129 of 288

I was able to get V1.4.1.62_1.3.22 after being on  V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.  Again from a desktop load. 

Message 130 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

I also am on windows 10 pro (v2004) and used Chrome (Version 84.0.4147.125 (Official Build) (64-bit) this time.

Message 131 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

One other thought. in the past a couple of times I had noticed that the router was acting a bit flakey, so I rebooted it and it was fine (used to happen all the thime with my dlink gamesing router.

Based on what I did and people are now reporting I am wondering if the best chance might come from:

1. Power off the router for a couple min

2. Power on the router

3. Reboot PC to reaquire IP from DHCAP

3. Download new firmware and extract to desktop

4. From a wired connection, invoke the firmware update process from the console using the desktop file

Maybe?

Message 132 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

I hope everyone is using a wired connection 😳
Message 133 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

Wow, so happy to hear people having success, (because waiting for the Asus routers I'm interested in to be avaiable will be awhile) - and thank you all for the detailed steps.  Because I'm new here and don't know where to look for an attached file, @Mrfatboy did you have sucess w/ the firmware on Netgears download page?

I don't know why having it unplugged before the attempt would make a difference but I will try that soon along w/ using Chrome from start to finish.  I'm also running Win10 (2004 latest updates). 

Message 134 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

I'm using a wired connection and I saw the upload progress %status very quickly run from 1 - 100, then I saw the router reboot...but I didn't see it slow blink only a couple of lights for some number of minutes - which made me suspect that after reboot it didn't attempt to flash.  In fact the time to reboot was so quick I'm pretty sure that's what's happening with mine.  Finally earlier I unplugged all connections, rebooted the PC as just suggested and it didn't make a difference but I'm happy to try that again as well.  Again, I suspect my problem is that after the download the flashing process is not initiating for some reason.  Makes me wonder if there's some previous setting preventing.  One maybe unusual thing I've done is reduce the wireless power below 100% (because I live in a small house and want to minimize exposure if I don't need the coverage) but I doubt a wireless setting would impact it.  I might just be unluckly.  Curious to keep reading if anyone else fails in the way I'm seeing. 

Message 135 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

I downloaded the upgrade file from the Netgear website.
Message 136 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

Thanks @Mrfatboy and @CKopp for trying to help.  @CKopp , when you said "invoke the firmware update process from the console using the desktop file...is that equivalent to browsing to the routerlogin/start portal->Administration->Router Update etc? 

Message 137 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

Darn, no luck for me after unplugging all connections, rebooting and uploading using Chrome through the web portal app.  After my wife's meetings this week where she needs a connection, I may try the longer method to push the file to the router using Tftpd64 or windows' utility, but by all indications the upload process isn't the problem.  I'm not surprised but my hopes were going up seeing so many successes.  I am hesitant to attempt a factory reset to force a downgrade in case that doesn't work, since I won't have a replacement router to fall back on for probably over a month if I order the one I'm interested in today.  In the meantime, I'll definitely watch this thread to see if there's a trick I missed or got wrong.  Thanks all.

Message 138 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

What are you seeing? How far did you get?
Message 139 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

Not sure if this is a notable difference, but I allways access the router via its IP directly.  The default should be 192.168.1.1.

Once in (at 192.168.1.1/start.htm, I navigate to the Advanced/Administration/Router Update page.

Message 140 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

routerlogin is resolving to http://192.168.1.1/start.htm ok but thanks for any detail.

I'm just a bit sad because to add to the other problems I have w/ this router - I have a few duplicate IP's being assigned to important devices, which I can't seem to fix now either.  Just so many bugs...*sigh*  @Mrfatboy the upload of the update makes it to 100%, most led's turn off, then 3 red adjacent lights come on for a few seconds, the router shuts off, powers on, then boots up like normal (unfortunately).  I recal when flashing firmware successfully before, or after the reboot.  Oh and after the reboot my wireless network is now called "living room speaker" even though the SSID hasn't changed according to the admin portal!?!  I'm back to being extremely frustrated and tired.  Is there a press and hold the reset button type of option to return it to it's initial firmware??  or would my only chances be to try and down grade flash to a previous version.  At minimum I need to keep the wired computer running for my wifes meetings tomorrow. 

2 cents recommendation from a really old guy - replace your current router (Trendnet in my case) before it becomes too flaky - just so you have a backup in case your new router goes foobar like this Netgear.

Message 141 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

BTW, sad and tired + frustrated is more accurate.  Speaking of which I could take notes of which led's come on in what sequence but it's in another room and I'm just kindof tired.  If that would help diagnose a fixable problem I am willing, otherwise I need to take a break and fix something (like our screen door) that's fixable, to improve my mood 😉

Message 142 of 288

So those on V1.4.1.44_1.3.5 haven't been able to upgrade but a few of us on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 have been able too?  Isn't that the issue that started this dialog? That firmware 1.4.1.44 is blocking further upgrades.  Not sure much has advanced here unless I missed something.  

Message 143 of 288
PaulTracey
Star

sorry for the multiple posts...I just read one google article on a factory reset and duh...it resets all the settings - which I'd rather not do, but (as makes sense) not the firmware...

Tomorrow I'll try a factory reset, then for the heck of it try the firmware upgrade one last time, and if that dosen't work - apply a saved backup config file (doh, I forgot about that).

Message 144 of 288
andynbaker
Guide

I'm still on 1.44 and cannot upgrade to 1.62. I've tried uploading through the admin panel, and tried to handle it with tftp, but no dice. I tried moving to 1.50 fussy but can't get that to take either. I think I'll just return it while I can. I'm done messing with this stupid thing.
Message 145 of 288

To summarize, if you are on 1.44, now is the time to return your device to Costco and pick something else during their Network sale that is going on right now. 

Something about the 1.44 made it no longer possible to do firmware upgrades.  Mine was replaced with a 1.44 version that didn't have that issue and it made the leap to 1.50 and now 1.62.  

Take action now while Costco is giving you a variety of choices.  

Message 146 of 288
andynbaker
Guide

Just ordered a TP-Link C4000. As soon as it comes in the R7960p is going back to Costco. I'm done with Netgear. 

Message 147 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

Just to be clear, when I was on 1.50, I also had problems getting the upgrade to take place.  I am no longer sure what I was on before 1.50, but I know I upgraded once between when I bought it in April 2020 and now.

Message 148 of 288
andynbaker
Guide

Yeah i've tried to move to 1.50 like ten times at this point. Both through the GUI and through tftp. I had to borrow a windows machine to take a stab at the tftp approach but was never able to even get confirmation of upload. I have a raspberry pi that i think i could tinker around with and get tftp-hpa working, but i'm just done messing with it. I don't want to have to keep messing with this stupid thing that I expect to just work and keep my local network safe.

I've been really happy with these products up until now. I may be in a minority, but i like the netgear router GUI. And i've been impressed with what can be configured out of the box, like VPN, access control, etc. I've just been blown away by how piss poor the response has been with this issue, especially given the recent news of Netgear router hacks through remote router management.

I have no idea if the TP-Link product will be any better, but i doubt it can be any worse. And at this point I feel like I have no other option.

Message 149 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

Have any of you tried the 30-30-30 reset before the install?
https://www.router-reset.com/info/Netgear/R7960P
Message 150 of 288
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7