Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

@uxnguyen wrote:

@Mrfatboy @michaelkenward 

I forgot to mention what happened.  The update was successful and the router reboot but the firmware is still at version 1.4.1.50

That seems to happen from time to time.

The safest way to update firmware is described here:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If it doesn't do the update first time around, it may be a pain, but it can help to reset and reboot the router before you do the update.

Message 201 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

@michaelkenward 

I did tried the link you sent.  I just reset the router and gave it a couple more tries with different laptop (wire connection) with both Chrome and Edge.  Same issue.

I don't see the percentage status for the update in the browser GUI.  I only see the status bar.  It always get to around 2/3 (less than a minute) then the router reboot.  I'm not sure if it the status bar should get all the way to the end before the router reboot itself?

Message 202 of 288
walknbluez
Tutor

@michaelkenward 

I am having this same issue.  When you say "If it doesn't do the update first time around, it may be a pain, but it can help to reset and reboot the router before you do the update." do you mean a factor reset when you say "reset"?

Message 203 of 288
walknbluez
Tutor

After further research, it doesn't appear that there is a solution and most recommendations are to return the router.  I think I am going to go with a different brand as this was very frustrating. 

Message 204 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

It seems like there may have been a problem with the firmware just prior to the .50 version.  As mentioned prevsioulsy in thie thread, I had problems going to the .50 version.  After doing a manual download to my desktop, an update and then a reboot (hard power reset) on the router after waiting approx 5 min from when the weub interface showed the update was complete, I was fine on .50.

I just got the message for a new firmware update. This time I tried the check for update and then the update button  when it found ver .66.

After the animation finished, I could not access the admin page, but could ping the router.  I rebooted the router (hard reboot) and when it came up I still could not access it from my PC.  However. after a reboot on my PC, all is well and I am on ver .66.  This version seems snapier and I am already having better results (less DNS failures necesitating a retry).

Not sure what all the variables are, but it seems like the key hangup is realted to getting past the version prior to .50 (.42?).

Message 205 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

I just updated my r7960p successfully to 1.4.1.66

The steps I took to ensure success.

1. Turned off router for 5 minutes
2. Turn back on
3. Enter router GUI
4. Backed up Settings (just in case)
5. GUI was already reporting new version available
6. Used GUI to find and update to new version
7. When completed the GUI showed an ad for the netgear app.
Message 206 of 288

For people now reading this thread, at one time it seemed all of these Costco Netgear routers were bricked by a firmware update.  If you haven't ever got to the .50 version you may have one that will not update.  If you have gotten there, it's likely that you shouldn't have any issues.  I had to have mine replaced.  Others weren't so lucky in getting that done and many were returned.  

Good luck with this and the New Year.  

Message 207 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

I've .50 and had many failed attempts to update to .64 or .66.  Last try was on Fri and today all of the sudden I lost all internet connection.  I reboot the router and it looks like the router did a factory reset on its own as all the settings got lost (I logged in to the GUI and checked).  I tried to update the router one more time but still came back with .50.  Now, I can't access the GUI.  This is frustating!

Message 208 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

After rebooting my laptop, I can get back into the GUI.  However, the firmware update is a persistent issue.  I can't get pass .50 firmware (both manual and let the GUI search for latest version to update).  The update status bar just get about 2/3 or half way and the router reboot (maybe it run into an issue and just reboot prematurely).  Today is the first time I had all the router settings wiped out on its own.  It seems the router is flaky now after many failed firmware update attempts.  

Message 209 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

Has anyone been able to update the firmware using PC/laptop after failed attempt using the App?  When I first setup the router, I followed Netgear instruction by using the App.  The first thing it did was to update the firmware.  It didn't say what firmware was on the router and what version it update to.  After reboot, it said firmware update successfully.  Now, I'm not sure if it was actually updated that first time since it always says successfully update.  I'm wondering if updating via the App messed up the router which now prevent any further update.

Message 210 of 288
NickPasich
Aspirant

I've done both the  Check for new version from the Internet and Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk methods and they act like they're successful but I'm still stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 .... I've done a power-off for 5 minutes of no avail.  Using ncftp, a "pwd" showed  the location: ftp://updates1.netgear.com  ... I tried "put  R7960P-V1.4.1.66_1.3.26.chk" and got "server said: Permission denied." It appears that the partition doesn't have write permissions.

Message 211 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

I bought my router from Costco in Aug-2020.  Called NetGear support and they want me to buy Gearhead support for $139 to have a NetGear expert to fix my firmware update issue.  Seriously, $139? I'll take it back to Costco and get a Linksys.  

Message 212 of 288
walknbluez
Tutor

I'm done dinking around with this.  I just picked up an ASUS RT-AX82U and am getting rid of this netgear router. 

Message 213 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

My router is now updated the GUI Language Version to 1.4.1.66.2.1.46.1.  But the Firmware is still stuck at 1.4.1.50.1.3.10

Message 214 of 288
antinode
Guru

> [...] Using ncftp, [...]

"Using" _how_, exactly?  To do what, exactly?

> [...] a "pwd" showed the location: ftp://updates1.netgear.com ...

"FTP" and "TFTP" are spelled differently for a reason.

You seem to be trying to send a firmware file to a Netgear corporate
FTP server, _not_ to your own router, using FTP, _not_ TFTP.  Wrong
destination, wrong protocol.

> [...] I tried "put R7960P-V1.4.1.66_1.3.26.chk" and got "server said:
> Permission denied." It appears that the partition doesn't have write
> permissions.

Yes, Netgear probably doesn't want every confused person with an
Internet connection to be storing files on its FTP server(s).  This does
not amaze me. You seem to be out of your depth.

In the words of the philosopher Williams, "If you don't think too
good, don't think too much."

Message 215 of 288
NickPasich
Aspirant

Disregard my previous post ... It should read

I've done both the  Check for new version from the Internet and Locate and select the upgrade file on your hard disk methods and they act like they're successful but I'm still stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10 .... I've done a power-off for 5 minutes of no avail. 

Message 216 of 288
walknbluez
Tutor

Are you the resident snooty smart ass?

@antinode wrote:

> [...] Using ncftp, [...]

"Using" _how_, exactly?  To do what, exactly?

> [...] a "pwd" showed the location: ftp://updates1.netgear.com ...

"FTP" and "TFTP" are spelled differently for a reason.

You seem to be trying to send a firmware file to a Netgear corporate
FTP server, _not_ to your own router, using FTP, _not_ TFTP.  Wrong
destination, wrong protocol.

> [...] I tried "put R7960P-V1.4.1.66_1.3.26.chk" and got "server said:
> Permission denied." It appears that the partition doesn't have write
> permissions.

Yes, Netgear probably doesn't want every confused person with an
Internet connection to be storing files on its FTP server(s).  This does
not amaze me. You seem to be out of your depth.

In the words of the philosopher Williams, "If you don't think too
good, don't think too much."

Message 217 of 288
antinode
Guru

> [...] smart ass?

As we said when _I_ was a child: Better smart than dumb.

Message 218 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

@NickPasich 

Do you see the "GUI Language Version" got updated to 1.4.1.66.2.1.46.1?

Message 219 of 288
NickPasich
Aspirant

Yep... That's what mine is at.

@uxnguyen wrote:

@NickPasich 

Do you see the "GUI Language Version" got updated to 1.4.1.66.2.1.46.1?

Message 220 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

Thanks Nick! we have the same issue...

Message 221 of 288
NickPasich
Aspirant

Just downloaded and tried updating to the newest version

Download Link : https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7960P/R7960P-V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.zip

Both methods tried: "Firmware Update Assistant" and "Locate and select the upgrade on your hard disk".

Same thing .... Still stuck on Version 1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Message 222 of 288
Jchalups
Guide

Give up. I spent over 10 hours with 12 NetGear support folks. On the phone they disconnected me one by one as they ran into the same issue you are all experiencing. The model router is junk. I took it back to Costco who also has had a flood of returns on this model. You’re doing what NetGear should be doing. Trying to fix it, is their issue. Take it back. Or, have NetGear refund it. I would contact consumer frauds and file a complaint if Netgear is unwilling to refund. Mine went back. Do the same.
Message 223 of 288

@Jchalups is correct.  If it's not working, then it's a hardware issue.  Some number of people have gotten Netgear to replace them.  If you aren't one return it and get something else as it's not going to work.  I was fortunate to get a replacement and all the ugrades have gone well since then and it also has been very stable with my two extenders.  So save yourself some time and just get the return done (good thing it's Costco) and move on in the New Year.  

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 224 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

I'm just a little out of the 90 days phone support and they would not admit it's a hardware problem and want me to buy the $139 Gear support to have an Netgear expert to look at my case and decide if they will replace it as it's still under warranty.

I'm looking at the Linksys Velop AX4200 but it's $300 which is a little expensive.  Once I bite the bullet to get this one, I'll return this R7960P.

Message 225 of 288
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7