Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

I have the same problems with my R7960P. My current firmware is V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. There are three newer versions. The newest version is 1.4.1.68. I have been trying for over a month to update the firmware and cannot get it to take. All it does is reboot.

Message 251 of 288

@Sgt_Flash wrote:

I have been trying for over a month to update the firmware ...

How?

Manual update? Started by an app? Started by the router?

Message 252 of 288
Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

I have all three ways you mentioned several times over the last month or two and all my router does if reboot. I have tried using the app on my Samsung Galaxy S20+, I tried from my laptop via WiFi and ethernet, I have tried using my PC connected via ethernet directly to the R960P router. I have tried the app, manual, and by the router. I cannot get it to take. My show the unloading a spinning clock(?). It gets about half way and reboots. After it reboots it still shows the old firmware.
My router currently has firmware v 1.4.1.50. There is currently versions 1.4.1.64, 66 and 68 available. I have tried them all.

Message 253 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

Mine didn’t update until I put the firmware file on the desktop and used the router GUI to select it and upgrade it.
Message 254 of 288

@Mrfatboy wrote:
Mine didn’t update until I put the firmware file on the desktop and used the router GUI to select it and upgrade it.

That'll be this one:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 255 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

Basically yes. However it was key that the file be on the desktop. Every time I tried it from a sub folder or on another drive it wouldn’t work.
Message 256 of 288

@Mrfatboy wrote:
Basically yes. However it was key that the file be on the desktop. Every time I tried it from a sub folder or on another drive it wouldn’t work.

Wow. Never seen that before. Weird. Very useful tip too.

Message 257 of 288

@Mrfatboy if this works for all these Costco routers that would be great but as I recall it didn't work for many.  Hope it does now.  

Message 258 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

My fathers router is on 44. I’m a little afraid to try to upgrade his because I have to do it remotely through TeamViewer. If it doesn’t come back it would be very bad. 😳

If I do decide to try am going to attempt 68 directly while bypassing the others If I’m successful I will let everybody know.
Message 259 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

My experience was similar to Mrfratboy.  Only able to move off .50 version when the file was on the desktop. Next update (.66) required a reboot after it finished and a reboot of my PC to recognize the router.  .68 upgrade was done via Web browser, worked great.

Good luck!

Message 260 of 288

@CKopp wrote:

My experience was similar to Mrfratboy.  Only able to move off .50 version when the file was on the desktop. Next update (.66) required a reboot after it finished and a reboot of my PC to recognize the router.  .68 upgrade was done via Web browser, worked great.

Many thanks for that report. Very useful.

Does this mean that we are getting somewhere with a definitive solution to the problem, a year after it first cropped up here?

Enough positive reports and perhaps it can be marked Accept as Solution.

Message 261 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

No, it does not work for everyone.  I did tried all possible suggestions, including putting the FW image on the Desktop.

Message 262 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

Just to be clear. Did you put the actual file on the desktop or the folder with the file in it on the desktop? I did the former.
Message 263 of 288
uxnguyen
Guide

The actual file.

Message 264 of 288
Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

This did not work for me. My R7960P still will not update the firmware.

@Mrfatboy wrote:

Message 265 of 288
Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

That did not work for me.

@Sgt_Flash wrote:

This did not work for me. My R7960P still will not update the firmware.

@Mrfatboy wrote:

Message 266 of 288
Pcjunkman1978
Aspirant

My R7960p is doing the same thing it wont update the firmware! it's stuck on version
V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

Message 267 of 288
Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

@Pcjunkman1978 wrote:

My R7960p is doing the same thing it wont update the firmware! it's stuck on version
V1.4.1.50_1.3.10

The same here

Message 268 of 288
RayinAlaska
Aspirant

The problem with my router was solved by upgrading the firmaware manually.  Don't let the router upgrade itself automatically.

Message 269 of 288
Sgt_Flash
Aspirant

@RayinAlaska wrote:

The problem with my router was solved by upgrading the firmaware manually.  Don't let the router upgrade itself automatically.

I tried many times over the last couple of months. "NOTHING" works 4 me. I tired from the folder I downloaded to, I tried from the desktop. I tried using my smartphone via the Nighthawk app, I tried using my laptop. I tried connecting via wireless and and ethernet. It will not upload.

Message 270 of 288
tano26
Tutor

Same issue. Nothing has upgraded my frimware for over a year. 

Message 271 of 288
ralphslate
Initiate

Sadly, I came here looking for the same answer, I have the same problem. Router tells me that an upgrade is available; I try to do it automatically, it doesn't upgrade, I download the file from the Netgear site, unzip it, put the .chk file on my desktop (or in a different directory - doesn't matter), upload it, seems to upload, reboots, and no change was made.

I am stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10, I tried to upgrade to the R7960P-V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.chk file

How can this issue be open for more than a year? Is Netgear abandoning its router lines?

Message 272 of 288

@ralphslate wrote:

I am stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10, I tried to upgrade to the R7960P-V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.chk file

Have you tried either of the intermediate updates?

Firmware Version 1.4.1.64 or Firmware Version 1.4.1.66

Manually, of course.

@ralphslate wrote:

How can this issue be open for more than a year? Is Netgear abandoning its router lines?

It seems to be this particular model that is stuck, since the January update.

Message 273 of 288
cdoan
Tutor

your really annoying...

Define "annoying" you say? 

Just help them on a consumer level. With the way you reply, nobody wants to ask for help. Be nice about it. 

Message 274 of 288
santanderusa
Initiate

Model: Nighthawk R7960P  

To Netgear:

Do you know how many routers a normal user has to buy due to the normal changes of technologies and other matters?

Well, myself has already bought like 10 routers so far, this is ok but...

...after having this issue (not upgrading to the latest Firmware) for almost 2 to 3 years then I am going to use my free-will to try some other router company that dont make it that hard on me to have my piece of hardware up-to-date like Netgear is doing with my hardware.

Netgear, please invest a bit of money on solving this type of everyday problems so you can keep your pool of buyers happy and not pissed off as I am.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 275 of 288
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7