Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

I'm having the same issue. I'm surprsied by all of the rude and ignorent comments here. Consdiering I've been a software and hardware tech and have over 30 years experience, I'm not going to argue with some guy living in his mom's basement on here, but I can say that it's 3 years after this post was originally posted and with the same firmware I'm having the same issue. This is a new device, that was purchased last year. Netgear should support their products.

Message 226 of 240
aveatr
Guide

Return the router. It is a lemon.

Message 227 of 240

@digitalmaster wrote:

I'm surprsied by all of the rude and ignorent comments here.

A rude an ignorant observer notes:

SpellcheckSpellcheck

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 228 of 240

^ as demonstrated above.
Message 229 of 240
The_Smurph
Star

If you are still struggling with updating this router, please return it to Costco. You will not need the original box either. Don't feed the troll in here either, as he was already shunned at the start of this thread. I was offered a replacement and decided against it and returned the unit. Also, do 

par for any warranty service as Costco has its own agreements with Netgear for warranty.

I went with the Asus AX86U and went from hardwired speeds in the 450-500mbps range to 850-925mbp. My cellphone with 1x1 network card can hits speeds of 300mpbs OTA on the 5ghz network. Just return this POS and move on from Netgear as I have already begun recommending certain ASUS units to friends and family. 

Message 230 of 240

Thanks.I'm also considering tplinks mesh system. I give up on Netgear.

Message 231 of 240
Skhawar03
Tutor

Right, that's the way to go, I bought this routher in Dec 2019 and tried update in Jul 2020 Failed tried again in Dec 2020 and searched over internet and spent hours finally came to this conclusion that this is waste of time. I already called Costco support and they provided me all information required for return(store# for return and product id, note this model is discontinued) since I do not have receipt, Costco is great this router turned out as Lemon my old ASUS is still alive I will switch back on it until I find good replacement. 

Thanks,

Syed

Message 232 of 240
RozcalBd
Aspirant

Seriously... I've been in IT for 20 years and the only reason I purchased this piece of crap is because it had parental controls which my Unifi SEG, Fortigate, and Sonicwall do not currently have,which makes sense because residential is probably not their angle.    Anyway,  this is a piece of crap firewall and it will not upgrade past .50 as i have tried every method. It is, what it is,...crap...

@michaelkenward wrote:

@uxnguyen wrote:

I tried to update from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.64 with no success.

How did you do it and what happened?

Are you interested in fixing it?

@uxnguyen wrote:

Sad that the firmware update issues has been a long-standing problem and Netgear had done nothing to address the quality control issue.  

Most updates go through without problems. You only read about failures here. People don't turn here and say "my firmware update was great". (I have never had a failure and have done many many updates.)

Sadly, you will find similar tales of update woes with most brands. It is just that Netgear has a larger and more active user community.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@uxnguyen wrote:

@uxnguyen wrote:

Sad that the firmware update issues has been a long-standing problem and Netgear had done nothing to address the quality control issue.  

Most updates go through without problems. You only read about failures here. People don't turn here and say "my firmware update was great". (I have never had a failure and have done many many updates.)

Sadly, you will find similar tales of update woes with most brands. It is just that Netgear has a larger and more active user community.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@uxnguyen wrote:

@uxnguyen wrote:

which makes sense because residential is probably not their angle.    Anyway,  this is a piece of crap firewall and it will not upgrade past .50 as i have tried every method. It is, what it is,...crap...

Message 233 of 240

I returned mine and purchased a TPLink Mesh. I almost got a Netgear MESH, but despite the reviews, I did not have any hope in it working past 6 months as they don't seem to support their products. Good riddance! 

Message 234 of 240
uxnguyen
Guide

@RozcalBd Yes, I gave up on trying to update the FW. After 90 days, you are out of lucks.  I don't need technical support. I just need them to stand by their 1yr warranty and replace the defective product but no.  Before I can talk to someone to get a RMA, I need to buy the $139  support package.  It is funny that they don't consider FW update issue a defect as the HW is still "working".

Message 235 of 240
RayinAlaska
Aspirant

Mine fails to upgrade the firmware, not matter what I do.  It shows that the new firmware is available, but fails to download and upgrade.  I have never had this type of problem with any router.  I bought this router at CostCo last year.  I will never purchase another router from NetGear, and am returning to LinkSys.

Message 236 of 240

@RayinAlaska wrote:

It shows that the new firmware is available, but fails to download and upgrade. 

Never the best way to update firmware.

Here is now to get more control over the process.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 237 of 240
Skhawar03
Tutor

Why don't you call netgear support you must be under warranty of one year
Message 238 of 240
Skhawar03
Tutor

I think this had been discussed as not working for the vast majority here including myself.
Message 239 of 240

@Skhawar03 wrote:
Why don't you call netgear support you must be under warranty of one year

You can't call. Any phone number you find with a web search is almost certainly a scam, but you can initiate the warranty process on line.

Start the RMA process by checking MyNetgear.

How do I request a Return Material Authorization (RMA)? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Just another user.

Message 240 of 240
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements