Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P firmware not upgrading

BobtheBuilder99
Aspirant

Re: R7960P firmware not upgrading

Totally agree.  I was considering Orbi, but I'll go with a different company with better customer service.  So many users complaining about R7960 not updating and no action by Netgear.

Message 276 of 288
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to contact NG support for there help and let them know what your having problems with. 

@DarrenM @ChristineT 

@BobtheBuilder99 wrote:

Totally agree.  I was considering Orbi, but I'll go with a different company with better customer service.  So many users complaining about R7960 not updating and no action by Netgear.

Message 277 of 288

@BobtheBuilder99 wrote:

There is something freaky about that model. It simply refuses to update for too many people. And Netgear just passes the parcel.

I can see why it would prompt people to go elsewhere. Netgear dropped a clanger here and has refused to take responsibility for its mistake. But I would not rule out everything it makes. Just check before ditching this one and buying something else.

Message 278 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

FYI for any interested.  Got the notice on the new firmware (.84) version.

Tried update from GUI - hung on updating the user iterface

Manually downloaded to desktop and sucessfully flashed, rebooted on its own.

However a problem with DNS now exists.

Whenever a local machine with DNS set to router needs to revalidate the cache.  It first timesout and then most often finds the address within 1 sec (occasionally I need to reload) does not matter which browser, (as long as the browser doesnt have its own dns setting) or local machine, or even which DNS service I specifiy to the router, same behavior.

However, If I bypass the router DNS directlly by specifying it at the machine (or in the case of Firefox, directly within the browser) it works great.

I know that this is the behavior because I montiored the traffic with Fiddler. 

Yes, I of course rebooted the browser, no difference. Also tried both wired and wireless conenctions from same machine alternately, same effect.

Anyone else see this behavior with V .84?

Message 279 of 288
Mrfatboy
Star

I saw the update the day it came out. I didn’t want to be the Guinea pig🤣. I guess I made the correct decision.

Have you tried to go back to .68? Does it fix the dna issue?
Message 280 of 288
CKopp
Apprentice

No, I did not try to role back to the .68 version.  My thoughts are that since the update was for security purposes, I would rather have it in place.  Instead, I just configured the local machines to point to cloudflare as the dns server.  Since there are only 4, it was not that big an issue.

Interestingly enough, my Ipad on the same network seems to work ok with the router. Not sure why?

Message 281 of 288
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Re-R7960P-firmware-not-upgrading/m-p/2157997...

@ralphslate wrote:

Sadly, I came here looking for the same answer, I have the same problem. Router tells me that an upgrade is available; I try to do it automatically, it doesn't upgrade, I download the file from the Netgear site, unzip it, put the .chk file on my desktop (or in a different directory - doesn't matter), upload it, seems to upload, reboots, and no change was made.

I am stuck on V1.4.1.50_1.3.10, I tried to upgrade to the R7960P-V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.chk file

How can this issue be open for more than a year? Is Netgear abandoning its router lines?

Message 282 of 288
BobtheBuilder99
Aspirant

My R7960P router is definitely at issue.  I'm unable to automatically update or manually update firmware.  During the update process, I get zero error messages displayed.  After the reboot, I still have the same firmware version.  I even had a Netgear support agent take me through uploading firmware using TFTP client with no luck.

Message 283 of 288
FURRYe38
Guru

Saw a few others say that nmrpflash worked:
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

So seeing some users say with recent FW update for the 7960P are having DNS issues so you may want to keep whats currently loaded on it. 

I was able to update mine but mines in wireless bridge mode. Not sure if that would result in anything different. 

@BobtheBuilder99 wrote:

My R7960P router is definitely at issue.  I'm unable to automatically update or manually update firmware.  During the update process, I get zero error messages displayed.  After the reboot, I still have the same firmware version.  I even had a Netgear support agent take me through uploading firmware using TFTP client with no luck.

Message 284 of 288
websnyper
Aspirant

I tried for hours earlier this week to get it to update, doing everything short of resetting to factory default since several folks had mentioned that did not correct it. I tried hardwired from laptop with trying to transfer the file and getting disconnected every time, tried with phone app, etc and with the automatic upgrade. None of it would work. I unchecked and rechecked the box to do auto updates as a last effort and left it be.

Then I gave up and a day or so later I logged back into router and noticed it had updated on its own. Then I started experiencing the DNS issues with significant impact (multiple attempts to get to a site and finally it would, same with nslookups and pings, etc). Luckily I was then able to set the router to disable the auto update and was able to then hardwire my laptop and specify a firmware file via the browser admin portal and it downgraded without issue (and my DNS issues immediately went away).

Sad to see the poor level of support the product gets from netgear with both the problems with the firmware upgrades but also with the DNS issues being reported with the latest build.

My netgear products throughout performance, etc have been godd, but the constant bugs with UI/reporting and other administrative features of these last couple of netgear products I have owned may well drive me to another brand for my next networking purchases.

Message 285 of 288
RayinAlaska
Aspirant

It will work if you use the Wizard once you logon to the router.  What I had to do was to download the new "firmware update" to the download folder in my computer, before loging into the router. Using the "Wizard" (look for it at the left side of the router's window). Then I "browsed" for the firmware I had downloaded to my computer and uploaded it to the router.

What I don't like about the Netgear instructions is having to download and install a cellphone app on my phone.  Neggear you also offer easy to understand installation instructions for novices who want to use their computers instead of cellphones to upgrade the firmware.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 286 of 288
websnyper
Aspirant

A ton of people here have experienced otherwise with the upgrade "wizard". 

It works right up until it stops working.

Message 287 of 288
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have to install the router using the Nighthawk mobile app. You CAN install the router using a PC and web browser. There is a link at the bottom of the first setup wizard page that said I don't have a mobile phone link. This starts the setup wizard in a web browser. 

Users should be able to update the router using this method:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

@RayinAlaska wrote:

It will work if you use the Wizard once you logon to the router.  What I had to do was to download the new "firmware update" to the download folder in my computer, before loging into the router. Using the "Wizard" (look for it at the left side of the router's window). Then I "browsed" for the firmware I had downloaded to my computer and uploaded it to the router.

What I don't like about the Netgear instructions is having to download and install a cellphone app on my phone.  Neggear you also offer easy to understand installation instructions for novices who want to use their computers instead of cellphones to upgrade the firmware.

Message 288 of 288
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7