Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P slow wifi

robweis62
Tutor

R7960P slow wifi

I have a R7960P Router and I am getting 800 mbps when i am plugged into the router with ethernet.  However, I am getting just 150 mbps through wifi.  My internet provider says I should get 90% of my speed through wifi.  Any suggestions?

• I do not have Dynamic QoS checked off
  • I am on firmware V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

Secondly...I can log into my admin account through my computer - but for some reason the App will not accept the password - why would this be?  It was working before I did a firmware update...and it stopped working

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: R7960P slow wifi

@robweis62 wrote:

However, I am getting just 150 mbps through wifi.  My internet provider says I should get 90% of my speed through wifi.  Any suggestions?

Yes, your ISP is either deluded, trying to pull the wool over your eyes or "inexperienced".

The idea that you will get 90% of 800 Mbps over wifi is fanciful.

You are talking about wifi speeds here. They depend as much on the wifi clients you are using as on the source of the wifi.

150 Mbps is as fast as many devices can handle when connecting to 2.4 GHz wifi.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

@robweis62 wrote:

Secondly...I can log into my admin account through my computer - but for some reason the App will not accept the password - why would this be? 

And that app is?  Nighthawk? iOS? Android? Version?

Local wifi access or remote (Anywhere Access)?

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 4
robweis62
Tutor

@michaelkenward  - thank you for your kind reply

I'm gonna spend some time to educate myself.  What i find odd is that my compuer plugged right into the router was getting 800mbps last night when i wrote you but was only getting 300mbps when i was working this afternoon.  I feel like Comcast is charging me for something I'm not getting

i was also surprised Comcast told me i should  get those speeds with wifi....so thanks for the article

The modem I have is  a Linksys CM3024

As for the app

The app quickly redirects me to an admin page...But i actaully clicked on anytime access - and it works...sort of.  I can't get to any of the options other than seeing i have 2 devices

Its showing two routers now...one that is connected and one that is diconnected.  Very odd...it never showed that before the last firmware update.  I guess i should remove that device, right?  If i remove the old device - will i be able to access things again?

- Maybe this is the reason my admin password is not working?  would i have to set up a different admin password for the new device?  would the passowrd i have be tied to the old device?  Have you seen this behavior before?

Message 3 of 4

@robweis62 wrote:

The modem I have is  a Linksys CM3024

Straightforward cable modem, with no built-in router to get in the way.

@robweis62 wrote:

The app quickly redirects me to an admin page...But i actaully clicked on anytime access - and it works...sort of.  I can't get to any of the options other than seeing i have 2 devices

I think you mean Anywhere Access. (Netgear used to call it Remote Management.)

Remote Management is now Anywhere Access in the Nighthawk and Orbi apps | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This is not the easiest thing to get tio grips with. The manual for the R7900P describes this in the section Manage the Router Remotely.

It works by using Netgear's cloud service (mynetgear) to direct your app at the router. This works only of you have already set up Anywhere Access on the router.

You need to use that only if you are not connected to the wifi from the router.

@robweis62 wrote:

Its showing two routers now...one that is connected and one that is diconnected.  Very odd...it never showed that before the last firmware update. 

Without knowing why you see that, it is hard to diagnose what is going on. You have now changed the subject completely. We aren't talking about wifi speeds any more.

It may be that the "two" routers arfe really the same thing, one is the "cloud" version that the app would see in Anywhere Access while the other is the local version that the app would see with a local wifi connection. Might be worth reading up on Anywhere Access.

How do I enable or disable Anywhere Access on my router using the Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR ...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7