Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960P updating issues 1.4.1.64

bizadam
Tutor

R7960P updating issues 1.4.1.64

R7960P — Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Firmware version 1.4.1.64 will not update, have tried: automatiacally updating factory resetting the device, tried going through Advanced/Administration/Router Update and uploading the update manually from downloaded desktop. 

Not sure what to do next, I am sure other people are having issues with this as well but I have not found a fix yet. 

Current firmware version 1.4.1.44 1.3.5

Please help

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
bizadam
Tutor

Re: R7960P updating issues 1.4.1.64

Thank you Oldbob, I tried to same thing.
Do not buy netgear routers.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
PNWDavid
Tutor

Nice to see another report. Same problem here. 

Router is R7960P with 1.4.1.44_1.3.5 firmware.

GUI Language Version did update on one attempt to V1.4.1.66_2.1.46.1, but the firmware version remains the same after four attempts from the router's admin page. No errors are shown or logged on the router. I've reset to factory defaults, powered off for a couple minutes, but no joy so far.

We have two of these. The one that was acting as our egress router is stuck in a boot loop of some kind which led me to the Dec 20 vulnerability reports and this update attempt.

Back to searching...

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 13
OldBob
Luminary

I have had the same problem all along with the R7960P that only updates the GUI and not the firmware or maybe it IS updating but not updating the number so it looks like I need an update all the time..I posted a question myself before i saw this post so maybe someone will finally see our issue and get this corrected.  Love the router..but this feature has been a pain in my side and even customer support had no answers other than return router.

Message 3 of 13
bizadam
Tutor

I agree the router is great! I am just hoping that netgear sees this and resolves the issue with a firmware update or something. I am not as tech sophisticated as some, but am no novice. I don't think it should be this hard. I have looked at many other forums for answers but have not found any that worked for me obviously.

Tldr: netgear please help.
Message 4 of 13
PNWDavid
Tutor

@OldBob wrote:

I have had the same problem all along with the R7960P that only updates the GUI and not the firmware or maybe it IS updating but not updating the number so it looks like I need an update all the time..I posted a question myself before i saw this post so maybe someone will finally see our issue and get this corrected.  Love the router..but this feature has been a pain in my side and even customer support had no answers other than return router.

Hello @OldBob,

Yes, it's a disappointing response from Netgear for $300 routers. Appearances suggest they've  orphaned these things or are simply unable to keep up; their advisories indicates their entire router product line is affected by pre-auth vulnerabilities. We can't afford delayed or MIA responses like this so we've removed ours from service and are returning to open source routing solutions. It's a little more work up front but the flexibility is infinite. Good luck on your end! 

Message 5 of 13
Censo
Initiate

Faced the same problem, learned about vulnerabilites and tried to update from V1.4.1.50_1.3.10. No luck, tried auto update, manual update and update from the Android app. Is it a known bug or the router was hacked and firmware updates got disabled? Looks like I will have to return it to Costco.

Message 6 of 13
PNWDavid
Tutor

I've yet to see NetGear respond to this problem beyond the usual "taking it seriously" posts. I'd absolutely return the two we have if I could. Get the feeling they don't sell enough prosumer units to properly support them.

Message 7 of 13
Gabe4
Initiate

Same issue +several hours w online help only walked me through support through Nighthawk app and web interface update.  I am hearing impaired...where is chat etc.  I also have extended warranty, to no avail.

Message 8 of 13
OldBob
Luminary

I find this issue not being addressed by Netgear just appauling.  I have been a lifelong user of Netgear products and might be my last netgear router.  I love the router but not being able to update firmware could be its downfall..There are lots of posts about this issue and none show a resolution..Chats are as helpfull as people can be but they just bring you to the usual support options and same results.  Sending the router back was not an option as you dont necesarily get a new router back-sometimes reconditioned and you pay to send it back. 

Maybe in the search of this forum you can search for Chat if that is more helpfull to you

@Gabe4 wrote:

Same issue +several hours w online help only walked me through support through Nighthawk app and web interface update.  I am hearing impaired...where is chat etc.  I also have extended warranty, to no avail.

Message 9 of 13
bizadam
Tutor

Dear Netgear,

Do you care at all about your customers?

It seems that TP-Link and Asus have won my business. 

I am returning this item to Costco, I am so thankful for their return policy.

Sincerely,

Tom

Message 10 of 13

@bizadam wrote:

Dear Netgear,

Do you care at all about your customers?

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 11 of 13
OldBob
Luminary

"official" support never was able to help me even when under the warrantee.  Only offered for me to return my new router as my expense and they would send me a recondditioned one for which I also paid freight..That did not sound like a good option.  To date, my router app tells me it updated and yet never updates the number or it never updates..oh well..

Message 12 of 13
bizadam
Tutor

Thank you Oldbob, I tried to same thing.
Do not buy netgear routers.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7