Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7960p Router will not update firmware

aktanker
Initiate

R7960p Router will not update firmware

Hello,

Attempting to up date router firmware from 1.4.1.50 to 1.4.1.68_1.3.28. Each attempt has failed --rebooted modem and router. Attempting update via iphone Nighthawk app. After several attempts to update now app will not let me log out. any advice very much appreciated. Thanks

John

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
TurbodogTodd
Guide

Re: R7960p Router will not update firmware - success

Was able to update my router that was stuck on R7960P-V1.4.1.50_1.3.10.

Used the nmrpflash method. Updated to R7960P V1.4.1.64_1.3.25 then used the Netgear router software to update to R7960P-V1.4.3.88_1.3.50.

Method is here:

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

I put the firmware file in the same folder as the nmrpflash.exe file.

Was using my router as an endpoint, initially had failures until I noticed after the attempts my attached computer ip address was changed from 192.168.2.5 to 192.254.177.93, since my router was set up as an endpoint and assigning. Checked by running the nmrpflash "-L" command to check the connection name <net9> and ip <192.254.177.93>.

used the -a and -A commands to assign the ip address on my computer and target router. -A 192.254.177.93 and -a 192.254.177.94

ran the nmrpflash.exe with the the following command line and it worked.

nmrpflash -A 192.254.177.93 -a 192.254.177.94 -i net9 -f R7960P-V1.4.1.64_1.3.25.chk

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 35

All Replies
ssehg
Initiate

Re: R7960p Router will not update firmware

I'm having the same issue and get error "

Unable to download GUI language file from Netgear server

Were you able to figure it out? I have tried downloading the .chk file and manually updating the router and get the same error.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 35
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello

We truly appreciate your patience as we work to resolve the firmware not upgrading with your R7960p/R8000P. As a valued member of the NETGEAR family, we will be escalating your reported issues to our Customer Care team to authorize a product RMA or possible upgrade. We kindly ask that you don't share your resolution on the forums as we will need to consider an appropriate resolution on a case by case basis. Our Customer Care team will be in touch with you via email shortly to initiate the upgrade process. Please Pm me back with the info below.

Name:

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact: Schedule: (Include Dates, Times and Time Zone available to work with us)

S/N number:

DarrenM

Message 3 of 35

Hello, I am having the exact same problem. Help please (and thank you in advance for community's patience, i am not techie enough). Our Router hasn't been auto-updating (and even following manual steps, it isn't updating) for a while now. From the last successful update our firmware version is: V1.4.1.44_1.3.5 --- and our exact Model Number is: R7960P - Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router. In the field for model above this form here, this exact model number doesn't seem to be listed as an option unfortunately. Any and all help/pointers are most appreciated and welcome as the router has started to intermittently stop working. Many thanks.

Message 4 of 35
ssehg
Initiate

Just return the router if you can. Net gear hasn’t been helpful and will just waste your time over support calls. There hasn’t been a fix to it and no suggestions from netgear worked.
Message 5 of 35

thank you for your reply. oh wow. we didn't purchase it from Netgear directly but bought it at Costco quite some time back. Do we return and get a refund from Costco or to Netgear? - many thanks.

Message 6 of 35
aktanker
Initiate

Costco will accept the return of the router as long as it is within 1 year from date of purchase.

Message 7 of 35

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

Hello, I am having the exact same problem.

Possibly. But joining in on an old conversation isn't the best way to get Netgear's attention or even to catch the eye of anyone who actually understands these things. They are all too busy looking at new discussions.

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

....our exact Model Number is: R7960P - Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Tri-Band WiFi Router.

Not the same device as in the first message. Different firmware.

There is a new HotFix release that may not have reached the autupdate channels.

R7960P Firmware Version 1.4.1.82 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

A manual update is the most reliable option.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 8 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I was able to load my R7960P up and working fine.

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

thank you for your reply. oh wow. we didn't purchase it from Netgear directly but bought it at Costco quite some time back. Do we return and get a refund from Costco or to Netgear? - many thanks.

Message 9 of 35

Was that a single leap upgrade?

@abbysgrandpa1 seems to be jumping from V1.4.1.44. That's four or five behind the latest.

Some updates are so big that they need an intermediate stage.

And the firmware and hardware mentioned in the first message are nothing to do with the R7960P. Unless the R7900P listed there is wrong. There seems to be some confusion.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I was able to load my R7960P up and working fine.

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

Message 10 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

For the R7960P, there hasn't been any intermeddiate FW builds. One can go from a low version right into something higher. 

I believe I had .v44 on mine and when to 68. I see there is a hot fix. 

Also @abbysgrandpa1 sometimes the router auto udpate doesn't include newer versions of FW. NG may not assigned these to be auto updated so these won't be auto updated. So users can check the NG download page for whats available to manual download and installation. You always can manually update the router your self. Or Not. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7960P.aspx#download

Message 11 of 35

thank you for the reply and insights. apologies for "joining in on an old conversation thread". i am learning and appreciate that insight. will definitely do better going forward. As for the hot fix link: yes i downloaded both zipfiles available on netgear's site: V1.4.1.68_1.3.28 and also the specific V1.4.1.82_1.3.40_hotfix. I tried to manually apply the "68" update and sadly no-go. It goes through the process of "updating" (the usual progress bar; then shutdown of router; presumably loading it onto firmware?; then rebooting; then asking me to log back into the admin account) - but sadly it still displays my last (old) firmware rev where it's been stuck since. and there still is the "button/tab" that says "A router firmware upgrade is available" next to "Basic" and "Advance" tabs/buttons. Flummoxed and stuck at this point sadly.

Welcome any and all guidance and thank you again for helping me better understand where to post as well for future. most kind and many thanks in advance.

Message 12 of 35

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For the R7960P, there hasn't been any intermeddiate FW builds. One can go from a low version right into something higher. 

It doesn't happen very often, but it is something to bear in mind.

Unfortunately, complaints that "Each attempt has failed" provide so little diagnostic information that we are shooting in the dark.

Those processes usually throw some sort of error. Reporting that error can help to pin down the issue.

Message 13 of 35

thank you kindly and sorry i am out of synch in my replies, i just noticed this reply of yours after i posted my reply to earlier thread. per that post, yes i did download and manually applies the updates and still not updating sadly. thank you kindly in advance much appreciated the insights and help.

Message 14 of 35

i get no errors nor any pop-ups at all. as mentioned it goes through the process of updating (seemingly alluding that all is fine? at least it seems to my naive viewpoint) but then still stuck at that old firmware version with the "An upgrade is available" button/tab still displaying. thank you.

Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using to apply the FW udpates? 

Be sure you are clearing all browser caches before and after sending the FW file to the router. 

I presume you are unpacking the .zip file before hand? 

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

thank you kindly and sorry i am out of synch in my replies, i just noticed this reply of yours after i posted my reply to earlier thread. per that post, yes i did download and manually applies the updates and still not updating sadly. thank you kindly in advance much appreciated the insights and help.

Message 16 of 35

thank you. yes i unpack the zip file (to the local hard disk) which results in 2 files, one with a "dot chk" at the end and the other seems like a simple instructions file as a html. and it is this "dot chk" file that i "point to"/"upload" in the manual upgrade process. As for browser, i am using Chrome. also tried with Safari and firefox browsers just now and unfortunately no luck. yes, explicitly went in and cleared "cached images and files" options for all (thanks for the suggestion) and still no-go. It still goes through the full set of steps of "updating"; with no error messages nor any pop-ups; reboots; logs-me-out; i log back in; and still displays the old firmware version.

thank you again.

Message 17 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, try this, disconnect the router from the ISP modem. Just have the one wired PC conencted. 

Factory reset the router by pressing the reset button in back for 10 seconds then release. 

Use FF and go to 192.168.1.1. You should seen a use NH app web page to setup the router. Scroll down and select the bottom link, that you don't have the app. Select I'll setup the router manually. Get thru the setup wizard. 

Go in and try the FW update again sending the .chk file down. After the file is send and you see the router auto reboot. Exit and close the browser. After the router seems back online, check the log in page at 192.168.1.1 and log in and see the version...

Message 18 of 35

Hello and thank you again for suggestions.Ok, had to wait for family to finish zoom, etc so i could do this. Just completed the tasks per your suggestions. 1) unplugged router from Internet. 2) just had 1 laptop (that has the "dot chk" file unzipped on its local drive) hard-wired (ethernet) plugged directly into the router. 3) manually hard-reset router via the little-button on device. 4) selected "manual setup" option at bottom of screen. 5) did the manual firmware update with the aforementioned "dot chk" file from the local hard drive. 6) (crossed-my-fingers-and-mentally-called-upon-the-router-gods-and-goddesses-to-bestow-magic-on-my-router). 7) No errors nor popups or anything at all - similar experience of "all seems fine with update". 😎 Exited and closed browser. 9) re-launched it to the routerlogin dot net and signed back in --> and sadly, no dice. same version number still: v1.4.1.44_1.3.5 -- sigh.

i hope there's some magical remedy/fix. And once again i am deeply grateful for all the insights, help and direction - most kind of you all. thank you.

Message 19 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

And just checking you downloaded a more recent version of FW file for the R7960? What version are you attempting to install?

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

Hello and thank you again for suggestions.Ok, had to wait for family to finish zoom, etc so i could do this. Just completed the tasks per your suggestions. 1) unplugged router from Internet. 2) just had 1 laptop (that has the "dot chk" file unzipped on its local drive) hard-wired (ethernet) plugged directly into the router. 3) manually hard-reset router via the little-button on device. 4) selected "manual setup" option at bottom of screen. 5) did the manual firmware update with the aforementioned "dot chk" file from the local hard drive. 6) (crossed-my-fingers-and-mentally-called-upon-the-router-gods-and-goddesses-to-bestow-magic-on-my-router). 7) No errors nor popups or anything at all - similar experience of "all seems fine with update". 😎 Exited and closed browser. 9) re-launched it to the routerlogin dot net and signed back in --> and sadly, no dice. same version number still: v1.4.1.44_1.3.5 -- sigh.

i hope there's some magical remedy/fix. And once again i am deeply grateful for all the insights, help and direction - most kind of you all. thank you.

Message 20 of 35

correct yes. most recent (at least as of yesterday when i double checked the netgear download site before initiating those steps). the version i have downloaded and was attempting to update firmware with: V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

PS: i also tried the V1.4.1.82_1.3.40-HotFix that <michaelkenward> suggested earlier in response to my query a day or so ago - ( grateful for that suggestion and help as well ) and unfortunately, similar experience of update process "seemingly conveying all fine" with no errors/popups but still not updating the firmware 😞

Message 21 of 35
HoustonGuyNW
Aspirant

I have tried many times.  I paid for Netgear support and they tried several times and could not solve the issue of firmware updates being broke. When is this going to be fixed?  I have gone through the manual dowanload and use the web page version of the router interface to upgrade. NOT WORKING...... HELP !!!

The support guys all say its a known issue but it seems nothing is being done to solve the issue.  Great you know the problem exist.  Now fix it.

Message 22 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I just updated my R7960P thats in wireless bridge mode and it took using the v82 hot fix. 

I presume that yours maybe faulty or in some bad state and not able to take a FW update. I'd return the router to place of purchase and get another one. 

@abbysgrandpa1 wrote:

correct yes. most recent (at least as of yesterday when i double checked the netgear download site before initiating those steps). the version i have downloaded and was attempting to update firmware with: V1.4.1.68_1.3.28

PS: i also tried the V1.4.1.82_1.3.40-HotFix that <michaelkenward> suggested earlier in response to my query a day or so ago - ( grateful for that suggestion and help as well ) and unfortunately, similar experience of update process "seemingly conveying all fine" with no errors/popups but still not updating the firmware 😞

Message 23 of 35
sdwelling
Initiate

Spent hours on this today and I've pretty much given up. Both methods described fail repeatedly, with no errors thrown. Logs indicate no new firmware installed and don't show any errors. Other forums indicate that a hard reset does not work either. I was going to go direct from the command line in either windows or Linux, but that's going further than one should be expected to go. 👎👎
Message 24 of 35
CarloNav
Aspirant

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7