Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Blocked Sites - doesn't work

rpfutrell
Initiate

R8000 Blocked Sites - doesn't work

Dear NetGear - 

It really is an injustice that the block sites feature doesn't work on this product.  I agree with another who posted on here.  I didn't buy this router so I could purchase an additional subscription to "circle" for blocking sites, for the price of this router brand new, it should provide users with fully functional ACL, where I can block access to/from an IP or FQDN regardless if its protocol, but also by protocol annd port numbers!!

I love my router and considered it an investment for many years, each time I look into this feature now it just reminds me how underwhelmed I was went I found out that the feature doesn't even work!!!

Your customers deserve more and you should make this right in an update - it's only fair and unlike some others have posted, it really is not that more complex to add this feature, hell add $20-$30 for an additional chipset the price... Make the decision to support your customer base, especially the ones that thought this was already included!! please dont reply with the circle link either, it only makes it more insulting,,,,so do not make us feel like sheep needing to be sold a subscription -- give us the functionality you promised us when we bought the netgear brand and product description!!

Disgusted 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: R8000 Blocked Sites - doesn't work

Should is good - in reality blocking an https URL is simply not possible, because all the communication is encrypted. Further on, secured DNS is slowly becoming standard, to the encrypted DNS queries can't be detected in the data stream anymore, too.

The only point where you can do this is on the client device, typically on the Web browser. Nothing the router can do there.

Message 2 of 3
rpfutrell
Initiate

Re: R8000 Blocked Sites - doesn't work

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sold on that perspective, and this isn't rocket science for a big brand like NetGear.  If it can be done at the client level it can / should be incorporated into the main gateway/router and even subnet within your home.

If csomeone can put a proxy server between them and their gateway it should be something the tech guru's can figure the barriers.  However as most technology nowadays, these companies only see that subscription based SaaS in more lucrative... sad for those of us who know better.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7