R8000 Can't Copy Large Files to ReadyShare

lennyr
Tutor

R8000 Can't Copy Large Files to ReadyShare

When trying to copy large files (a 7.1GB TV recording) from one computer on the network to the ReadyShare drive I consistently get an error that says "There was not enough space for this item" ... "Free up some space and try again." The destination drive has 1.1TB available, so I don't know why it is saying this. I get this error typically after about 4GB of the file has transferred.

Also, the transfer, before it bombs, is quite slow, averaging about 2MB/sec, peaking at about 30. The ReadyShare drive is a SATA3, 7200rpm drive and is connected to the R8000 via USB 3.0; the source PC is connected to the R8000 over gigabit Ethernet (directly, no switch or anything in the middle).

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8000 Can't Copy Large Files to ReadyShare

I don't use it but I believe if you format drive while attached it may work better.
Message 2 of 9
qwert
Aspirant

Was the HDD formatted to the NTFS or EXT system?

If a HDD is formatted to FAT32, it cannot take a file more than 4GB even if you connect the HDD directly to your computer. That's a limit of FAT32 format.
Message 3 of 9
lennyr
Tutor

Ah, forgot about that. It is FAT32. That is the only formatting that I could get it to even work with (otherwise the R8000 wouldn't see it).
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you try formatting the USB drive to use e.g. EXT4? EXT4 is a native Linux filesystem so should work well.
Message 5 of 9
Shadowlore
Guide

I've seen this happen in the past when someone has formatted an external drive with something like windows XP, in a FAT file system.

As stated above by multiple posters, I'd recommend formatting the drive in a different file system, preferably through the router interface, itself.
~ Shadowlore
Message 6 of 9
lennyr
Tutor

Thanks. This feels like a dumb question, but where in the R8000'd interface do I find the option to format the drive? I've looked and looked, but can't find it.
Message 7 of 9
PatrynXX
Aspirant

I'm having more of an issue that during that backup option it keeps dropping the drive. a 2.5 inch 3.0 Toshiba Canivo. Worked great on an earlier Netgear but not this one. Actually recognizes as 3.0 (blue light) The Linksys EA6300 oh no. Would kill the internet connection the moment I tried. and it's in NTSC. I'm putting this in here because it seems relative
Message 8 of 9
Shadowlore
Guide

lennyr wrote:
Thanks. This feels like a dumb question, but where in the R8000'd interface do I find the option to format the drive? I've looked and looked, but can't find it.
I believe it's under the advanced, storage settings. (I don't have an R8000 here at the office right now, so my apologies for that) However, I just installed an R8000 last week with a USB device attached and wound up formatting it on the PC, and that seemed to work fine, too. (The PC was a Windows 7 machine) I've seen issues with a handful of drives that insist on loading their own proprietary drivers as well.. but in that case, the drive would usually only report that it had 1GB or less available.
~ Shadowlore
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E