Highlighted
Tutor

R8000: Changing connected device priority is impossible. What's going on???

Firmware: V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

So, what's going on with QoS priority serrings in R8000? When I attempt to change the priority, after clicking "Apply" it just displays a blank page ("Waiting for 192.168.1.1..." in Chrome) for forever, eventully kicking me out of router's admin page.

Just in case I did a factory reset. Reentered all settings manually (not from a backup file). But it made no difference. What is going on here? I see reports of similar problems from other R8000 users here. What is the ETA for the fix?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: R8000: Changing connected device priority is impossible. What's going on???

The bizzare part is that I attempted to turn off QoS entirely (as some people suggest in other threads about the same problem), but that brings a whole other set of problems, which are are even worse.

After turning off QoS, some WiFi devices lose network access [almost] entirely. The devices are still able to connect to WiFi, WiFi connection and signal strength appear "normal" at first sight, but the affected devices cannot access Internet and cannot acces rounter admin pages (192.168.1.1). In my case with QoS disabled my Xperia phone retains normal WiFi connectivity (everything works), but my Galaxy Tab S3 loses connectivity entirely (WiFi still shows as connected, but there's no network access, no Internet access, no 192.168.1.1 access). Wired devices seem to continue to operate normally (can't say for sure, no extensive testing done).

All this is after factory reset on R8000. I don't know what is the difference between Xperia phone and Galaxy Tab and why they behave differently after disabling QoS in R8000. This is probably some random "decision" made by R8000.

Restarting the router, restarting the device, cycling the WiFi connection on the device: all these measures give that Galaxy Tab about 10-15 seconds of normal operation, after which network access ceases again. Swtching between 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands on Galaxy Tab has the same effect: 10-15 seconds of normal operation and then it's stuck forever.

Once I enable QoS, everything turns back to "normal": all devices, includingh the aforementioned Galaxy Tab, are able to access Internet without problems.

Judging by the symptoms, it is not possible to actually disable QoS in R8000. In R8000 "QoS disabled" actually stands for some totally screwed-up broken "residual" QoS mode, in which some WiFi dievices are assigned zero or almost zero bandwidth. In my case Galaxy Tab was given that treatment by R8000.

NETGEAR, what on Earth is going on? Fix it, and fix it NOW! 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Master

@AndreyT wrote:

Firmware: V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

So, what's going on with QoS priority serrings in R8000?

You have me? I'm on the SAME f/w on my R8000. That f/w as opposed to older f/w is DYNAMIC. From the HELP:

Dynamic QoS Help

Dynamic QoS improves online gaming and online streaming quality by prioritizing Internet bandwidth usage.

When the router detects online gaming and online streaming traffic, the router tries to limit background traffic

such as BitTorrent or FTP downloads to improve gaming and streaming.

You have NO control over QoS and no place to enter anything much less Priority?

Do you mean something else? Like make a change to a setting anywhere on the page (speed setting, etc.) and you get the error?

Have you tried another browser besides Chrome?

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
Tutor

@IrvSp wrote:

You have NO control over QoS and no place to enter anything much less Priority?

Have you tried another browser besides Chrome? 

I'm not really sure what you are talking about here.

Yes, this firmware does allow the user to disable QoS. It is in the "Dynamic QoS" settings page.

Yes, this firmware does have a place to enter "priority" for dynamic QoS. It is on the Dynamic QoS page: "Edit" button. But changing priority doesn't work anymore. It is broken.

And yes, I have tried other browsers: all of them end up in the same "stuck" state when attempting to change priority.

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Master

I meant like the 'old' QoS where you could control it much better. NG switched to Dynamic lately. That and it doesn't seem to 'stick' as you say. Only thing you can do basically is ON or OFF. For some people, even the speed test on the QoS page doesn't work either. Some it seems to have a 'hidden value' that slows down the LAN until manually changed even with QoS off.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements