Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 - Consolidating SSID's

AlbyZ
Follower

R8000 - Consolidating SSID's

Is there a technical reason having the device configured with 3 seperate SSID's (or 2 is Smart Connect is selected)?

I have noticed if I connect to the default NETGEAR20 SSID, the device will end up on another SSID (5G-1 or 5G-2, which is fine, as I assume its intended behaviour), but can I change the SSID to be the same for all WIFI networks?

Or alternatively, if the SSID's must be different for whatever technical reason, can the 5G SSID be configured to not advertise?

Thanks,

Albert

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There should be no technical reason why more than one AP can use the same SSID, this is often how offices and hotels are set up, lots of APs spread over channels 1, 6, and 11 (for the 2.4GHz band) all with the same SSIDs. Client devices can distinguish between then by lower level data e.g. MAC Addresses.

Some Netgear routers have been coded/designed to avoid the same SSID on the different bands, it’s been debated on these forums previously with mixed opinions as to whether this is good or bad.

In a WiFi scan even where several APs have the same SSID, they should all be listed separately.

Where Smart Connect is used both 5GHz bands have to use the same SSID, but I’m not sure if this can or cannot be used also for the 2.4GHz band. All bands should have the option to enable/disable the SSID broadcast.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There should be no technical reason why more than one AP can use the same SSID, this is often how offices and hotels are set up, lots of APs spread over channels 1, 6, and 11 (for the 2.4GHz band) all with the same SSIDs. Client devices can distinguish between then by lower level data e.g. MAC Addresses.

Some Netgear routers have been coded/designed to avoid the same SSID on the different bands, it’s been debated on these forums previously with mixed opinions as to whether this is good or bad.

In a WiFi scan even where several APs have the same SSID, they should all be listed separately.

Where Smart Connect is used both 5GHz bands have to use the same SSID, but I’m not sure if this can or cannot be used also for the 2.4GHz band. All bands should have the option to enable/disable the SSID broadcast.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7