R8000 DLNA Performance

TANWare
Star

R8000 DLNA Performance

I have issues still with what I can get for throughput on the network share of the USB 3.0. Saying this I have gone through every iteration available to squeeze every last ounce of speed from the system and have found the competition out there has similar performance issues. In the end I have primarily set this up for DLNA. So deciding it was time to test it out under load I found that its performance is there in spades.

I took 2 Android devices, a tablet on 5GHz channel 1, and a phone on channel 2 along with 2 PC’s, one on channel 1 and another on channel 2 of the 5GHz radios along with my BR player on the LAN at a 100mbit connection. I simultaneously streamed 5 HD 13000+Kbit movies to them. I tried individual movies along with then a mixture of the same titles. End result was not a single glitch, no pausing or artifacts at all. I should note that all wireless devices were 30’ away from the router as well and all files were on the 5TB USB 3.0 device.

For a simple, low cost, DLNA server I could not ask for more. To be honest I would have been happy supporting 2 streams and ecstatic with 3 of them but 5 flawless high rate HD streams, well you could have knocked me over with a feather.
Message 1 of 4
TANWare
Star

Re: R8000 DLNA Performance

In doing the wireless I found it best to chose the channels. The best combo for me is 2.4 at #5, 5G-1 on #40 and 5G-2 on 149. This gives a signal at my primary laptop of 2.4 - 99%, 5G-1 - 83% and 5G-2 99%. The easiest free utility to use I found below.

http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.php/2012/05/a-free-wireless-strength-meter-for-windows/
Message 2 of 4
TANWare
Star

Apparently there is a lot more to eek out here. I have a 1 TB drive on the USB 2.0 port. I just did a test of it's stand alone performance compared to that of the USB 3.0 not that everything else has been tweaked out. To my astonishment they are the same at 30' through one wall. That is reading to the PC 32MBs and writing to the drives 27 MBs. Using the Windows 7 gadget the Mbit rates or MBs were the same between the two drives with the occasional valley.

So other than on the LAN, where I know greater than USB 2.0 speeds are attainable, maybe they are cutting down to prevent interference?
Message 3 of 4
TANWare
Star

Some screenshots to show performance of only 2.0 on the 3.0 drive. The USB_Storage is then usb 3.0 with a 5TB 3.5 5900 rpm drive, the T_Drive is a usb 2.0 1TB 2.5 5400 rpm laptop drive in an enclosure. The usb 2.0 drive is a much slower HDD and more than likely accounts for the 1 MBs, or so, difference slower.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements