Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 DLNA question

Gert8
Aspirant

R8000 DLNA question

Hello,

I have a question. In the latest FW of the R8000 Netgear stops supporting DLNA. Does that mean the DLNA server functionality's of the R8000 itself are no longer supported? I didn't install the latest FW yet. I use a Synology NAS as DLNA server, so i guess the R8000 doesn't need to support this? But al my devices (NAS, TV's) are connected to the R8000 ofcause. Since i use the R8000 i have the issue that sometimes (once in a few months) DLNA suddenly doesn't seem to work. My NAS is accessible but my smart tv's don't 'see' it anymore. After a reboot of the R8000 this issue is fixed. So the R8000 does seem to have influence on DLNA in my network.

IF i perform an FW upgrade (in which DLNA won't be supported anymore) do a have the risc that DLNA won't work in my network anymore?

If that is the case, does someone have experience with an alternative FW (like DD-WRT) to 'fix' this? Of do i get other issues then?

Thank you in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Gert8
Aspirant

Well, i found the sollution thanx to Synology. I had to change a settings in the R8000. The setting Advanced > WAN Setup > Disable IGMP Proxying was selected (so the feature was disabled). I had to uncheck it so tha the feature IGMBP Proxying was enabled. Emmediately after that all my tv's found the NAS again and all dlna devices were registerd in the NAS. Thank yoy Synology!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
myersw
Master

Yes. Netgear in their infinite wisdom thinks folks want to give up things like DLNA and Time Machine so you can give them money for Armor, which you probably do not want. They evidently needed the memory space to implement Armor so out with the things folks bought the router for. 

Message 2 of 6
myersw
Master

When I ran DD-WRT on my r8000 it was more solid the the Netgear firmware, but that was a year ago so do not know about recent experiences. Just understand how to reinstall Netgear OEM firmware should you go the DD-WRT route.

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> IF i perform an FW upgrade (in which DLNA won't be supported anymore)
> do a have the risc that DLNA won't work in my network anymore?

No.  What it means is that the R8000 itself will no longer act as a
DLNA server.

> [...] I use a Synology NAS as DLNA server, so i guess the R8000
> doesn't need to support this? [...]

Right.

Message 4 of 6
Gert8
Aspirant

Well, i found the sollution thanx to Synology. I had to change a settings in the R8000. The setting Advanced > WAN Setup > Disable IGMP Proxying was selected (so the feature was disabled). I had to uncheck it so tha the feature IGMBP Proxying was enabled. Emmediately after that all my tv's found the NAS again and all dlna devices were registerd in the NAS. Thank yoy Synology!

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The IGMP Multicast on the [W]LAN should work, regardless of the IGMP proxy config for the WAN interface. But hey, welcome to Netgear ... so we never know.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7