Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R8000 DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I started to get the  DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error along with ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED since a recent update as well.  It is distressing and has been causing me anxiety.  I purchased the unit in March 2021 and it has been fine until now.  I have spent countless hours trying all of the fixes noted by others in the community and via online research to no avail prior to discovering that others in the community are having the same issue and have narrowed it down to a Netgear issue as well.    Netgear do you plan to issue an update with the fix in the next few weeks?  If not I am done and will cancel my subscription and buy another brand.  Please advise.....

@ links to members

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

1. this is the community support forum. Where members of the public helping out. Threatening things is likely to get you less help, not more. since we're just people helping out and not paid to do this. and we're not netgear.  

2. if you'd read the forums, you should see that most are simply downgrading to the prior version and fixing the issue. I'd recommend trying that first. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. this is the community support forum. Where members of the public helping out. Threatening things is likely to get you less help, not more. since we're just people helping out and not paid to do this. and we're not netgear.  

2. if you'd read the forums, you should see that most are simply downgrading to the prior version and fixing the issue. I'd recommend trying that first. 

Message 2 of 8
kevinfitzirl
Initiate

The only solution I have found to overcome this issue is downgrade the firmware to V1.0.4.68_10.1.75. I understand Netgear are aware of this issue and did issue new firmware today (Sept 17, 2021) but that did not resolve the issue (for me, anyway), but once I rolled back to V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 all was good again. 

Hope that helps. 

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thank you!!!

Message 4 of 8
drzwave2
Initiate

Downgrading is likely to result in security leaks.

We MUST DEMAND that Netgear simply release another quality release to fix this problem!

I have a lot of problem with getting my companies VPN working because it times out multiple times before the DNS finally goes thru.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Message 5 of 8
DMP11400
Tutor

I just received notice a few days ago about the firmware update and it completed seemingly w/o a problem. The version I upgraded to was V1.0.4.76_10.1.82. I have been having problems ever since. I see problems with an August update, but not with the newer one. Is this update a problem too?

Message 6 of 8
Icecat5055
Guide

I am also experiencing the same issue, I will get the "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error over and over again intermittently. I have never experienced dns issues until these recent firmware updates: 1.0.4.74, and the most recent version 1.0.4.76. Sometimes the website will never load causing some chaos with my online college classes. 

I will roll back to firmware 1.0.4.68 and see if that helps. My only concern are these vulnerabilities that have been recently exposed on older firmware. This is the whole reason I updated in the first place. See this article for an example of what made me update….

https://www.pcmag.com/news/thanks-to-disney-11-netgear-routers-need-to-be-patched-immediately

Is there a way to get this info directly to the dev team? This is a huge issue that needs to be fixed immediately. I know I am not the only person experiencing these issues, other forum users have expressed their concerns as well. From a security standpoint we can’t update our routers to old much more vulnerable software versions. This is completely unacceptable.

Message 7 of 8
Prettystandard
Initiate

Agreed, same issue here.  Very, very frustrating, particularly when using online forms and submitting information, then rendering the next page/confirmation. I also do not wish to roll back to a previous version.  It would nice to receive an acknowledgement that this is known, urgent, and an expected time to resolution.  I wonder when I hit "post" here if it will go right away, or if I'll have to refresh the page.

Forgot to mention that I've spent nearly all morning shopping for upgraded, mesh routers, and have avoided reading anything about the Netgear Orbi's (despite being highly rated) because this issue has caused me to be very Netgear averse.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7