Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Dropping Connection, tried everything

templarpsi
Aspirant

R8000 Dropping Connection, tried everything

Model: R8000

Firmware Version: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

I bought the R8000 model back in November 2019, and it worked great until the last 2-3 months, but this past 2-3 days I've noticed it has gotten significantly worse. I've tried everthing from resetting the modem, to factory reset, to even having the ISP come out and look at my modem. My modem works fine and the cable lines are great.  I tried doing a DNS flush, and nothing seems to work.

The lights on the router are white, they all do blink, but occasionally some of the lights that blink will be solid for a good amount of time maybe 1-5 seconds at a time, and that varies from the 2.4 to the 5ghz band light. When I'm browsing I'll get a DNS error a lot or when I enter a website, there would be a huge delay before it finds the wesbite or sometimes just get that DNS error.

The connection seems to be more unstable than usual, I'll have good connection for about 5-10 mins than itll drop in and out for a good few mins, and the cycle repeats. I'm not sure if my router at this point is going out, or how I can tell. 

I'm not sure what to do or if I should just purchase something complete different.

Message 1 of 6

Re: R8000 Dropping Connection, tried everything

@templarpsi wrote:

I bought the R8000 model back in November 2019, and it worked great until the last 2-3 months, but this past 2-3 days I've noticed it has gotten significantly worse.

Worse at what?

You haven't said much about what is going wrong on your router.

It loses the Internet connection?

The wifi dies?

@templarpsi wrote:

When I'm browsing I'll get a DNS error a lot or when I enter a website, there would be a huge delay before it finds the wesbite or sometimes just get that DNS error.

The exact message? Browsing what? Which browser?

Message 2 of 6
templarpsi
Aspirant

@templarpsi wrote:

I bought the R8000 model back in November 2019, and it worked great until the last 2-3 months, but this past 2-3 days I've noticed it has gotten significantly worse.

Worse at what?

----- in terms of keeping a stable connection. I would be browsing, than all of a sudden It'll take forever to load any page including google.com or just basic websites in general (yahoo, google. cnn, fox, school websites, etc), sometimes at the bottom left of my browser it'll be stuck at "resolving host" or whenever I type something in the address bar and hit enter, whatever I typed in would disappear and have a large delay of what typed in and suddenly it'll load my page. The DNS issue occasionally happens, but not all the time. As I'm writing this it's even happening now.  The connection seems just so unstable at times, I can be browsing and doing my normal school work and it works fine, than within a blink of an eye I start to experience all the issues mentioned above. What's really strange about any of the connection issues I just mentioned also is that my router lights are always blinking, even when the issues are happning, I just noticed the lights will stay solid for a good 4 seconds when the issues are happening and then blink, not sure if that helps but ya.

You haven't said much about what is going wrong on your router.----see first response above

It loses the Internet connection?----See first response above

As I said before I've tried contacting my ISP and they've came out twice and tested my lines and modem and said it was fine. They think its my router, and I'm starting to believe that as well. I've tried a DNS flush, clearing my browsing history and cookies. I use Chrome primarily but I notice this issue still persist on other browsers like microsoft edge, and firefox. I'm not super computer network saavy, but I can't seem to figure out what else I can do to fix the router or to can it and just get a new one. I've gotten to the point now where I have to reset my mode and router at least twice a day, and its annoying as F.

Message 3 of 6

Unfortunately, I still do not have much of an idea about what happens at your end.

Your detailed explanation seems to add up to "it doesn't work".

It seems that you are using a wifi connection. But you don't say. Have you tried using a wired connection in the router to check if that also freezes?

It seems that the wifi LEDs are behaving as expected, but you don't say which one are blinking or going "solid".

So, let's start at the beginning.

What is the modem, if there is one, in front of this router?

Message 4 of 6
templarpsi
Aspirant

Modem I'm using is---Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem, 6 Gbps Max Speed. Approved for Comcast Xfinity Gigabit, Cox Gigablast, and More, Black

Modem Lights: Works fine, nothing wrong.

COX Cable is who I have (Plan I have is--300 down, 30 up)

Router-R8000

Lights that are on Router

Power-Solid white light

Internet- Blinks White

2.4ghz-- will stay solid white for about 5-10 seconds than start blinking white

5gh1---will stay solid white for about 5-10 seconds than start blinking white for about 4-10 seconds/repeat from beginning step

5gh2---will stay solid white for about 5-10 seconds than start blinking white for about 4-10 seconds/repeat from beginning step

WPS-Solid---white light

Wifi On/Off-- Solid white light

Error's Im getting when browsing On Chrome, Firefox, internet explorer are- " No internet followed by below that message " DNS_Probe_Finished_No_INTERNET. This happens when it doesn't load a webpage such as google, yahoo, or anything for that matter, and it seems to happen sporadicly at times. 

When I run a windws network diagnostics some issues are always found such as the following:  Issues found----> The DNS server isn't responding (detected), than below it'll say " The DNS server isn't responding, Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn't exist. 

Troubleshooting Tried: Contacted ISP (They came out and said lines are fine, modem is fine, its getting the signal, possible router might be degrading or defective, mind you I've had the router for 14 months now)

---Restarted Router, Unplugged modem cables from coxial line and plugged everything in. 

---Factory Reinstalled modem from scratch and downgraded to firmware to V1.0.4.28_10.1.54, because based on what I read it seems like what's what most people have done considering the newest firmware is terrible.

---Replaced Ethernet Cords for mode to router 

--- Plugged router straight into desktop and i get the expected speeds from what the router can do at best, which I get usually 186-254 mb down, and 29-30 Up.

--Ran speed test on speedtest.net and always picking my home city, and I consistently range from 154-225 down, and always 29-30 up. 

Currently I have to reset my connection about 2-4 times a day, and its just not stable. I'm currently running the older firmware V1.0.4.28_10.1.54, and I still have issues, so at this point I have no idea what I need to do or if I should just get a new router.

I do use a wifi connection through my router, and all my devices(4) are either on 2.4 and I have 2 devices per 5ghz band

Not sure what else your wanting me to provide as I've pretty much summed up my experience with the router. I've said this from the get go, the issue is dropped connection constantly followed by a "resolving host" to DNS error of some sort, and within 30 seconds to a minute it works agian, and it repeats until I unplug everything which is just plain annoying.

Message 5 of 6
David501
Guide

I think you might be overcorrecting with all the cable changes and factory resets.

I have had the same problem with the latest Firmware and simply hitting the power button on the Nighthawk router - turning it off, waiting 10 seconds and turning it back on will usually re-establish a connection after the router reboots.

Here is one tip to exclude any other components from your troubleshooting efforts!

- Plug an ethernet cable directly into your computer from the Motorola moden and bypass the router completely. If you are getting a good internet connection and speed test results then this means the problem is the Netgear router (most probably the firmware version) and not you ISP, Motorola modem or any cables.

If you are getting a good connection by going the hardwire ethernet route directly from your modem then this is what I did below (cut and pasted from what I posted on a different thread about the same firmware problem).

I have had the exact same problem with the latest Fimware (V1.0.4.68_10.1.75) and have reverted back to the last 5 Firmware updates with the same problem.

I have finally found that R8000-V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 is the Firmware that works for me and is completely stable.

- I know you said you already tried this Firmware version and it still gave you problems but you may have inadvertently created another issue with all the resets and cable unplugging and replugging (I know I did that once and inadvertently put in a fauly ethernet cable that had a brocken plastic "lock" piece so the cable kept sliding out).

It has been frustrating reloading the older Firmwares on each occassion and not sure if the problem is on NetGear's side or my older 2012 computer - Lenovo T410- Older computers such as mine with an older wi-fi card might not be compatible with the latest firmware.

You could do what I did and download the past Firmwares from the NetGear download site for the NightHawk R8000 X6 AC3200 and get to a stable verion that suites your computer as I did but I have found V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 to work for me.

Best of luck - very frustrating!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7