Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Dropping connection to devices.

rheeboy
Guide

R8000 Dropping connection to devices.

I purchased a new Nighthawk R8000 (firmware V1.0.4.46) a month ago (April 2020) and I consistently have devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) that keep dropping their connections to the router.   The internet is definitely working because other devices that are connected to the router have no issues.   Also, when the connection is dropped on a device, I have to enter the network password multiple times (sometimes 10 or more time) to get the connection to work again.   Sometimes I even have to forget the network and/or restart my device for the connection to work.   Other than the connection issues, the router is working great.   Please help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
rheeboy
Guide

Re: R8000 Dropping connection to devices.

I just installed the recommended firmware this morning.  I'll report back in a few days when there's enough time to see if the problem has been resolved. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Try installing version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. Afterwards (once its fully rebooted), factory reset the router and manually install it. Don't install from a backup. Also, disable auto update. 

Then see how it does. 

Message 2 of 13
rheeboy
Guide

Thank you. How do you install firmware 1.0.4.28?
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

to download it go to the support site: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx

click downloads and then +view previous versions. Download the appropriate version and then extract it. 

After that you can follow the manual firmware upgrade process from the manual. And instead of using the new firmware, use the version you downloaded. 

Message 4 of 13
rheeboy
Guide

Thank you.  I'll give it a try over the weekend.   Also, is it good to use the SMART CONNECT feature or should I connect each device individually?

Message 5 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

I have similar problems with my ac1900 / c7100v dropped password table, mismatched ip's  private ip assignment internally, .. Looked for updates / patches . Reply is from netgear is non available. I want to setup acl list but afraid of waist of time

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Some people love smart connect for the single ssid function. Others prefer them seperate so they can assign which band devices connect to. its all personal preference. 

@MTWOODLAND please start your own thread. Your device isn't the same. 

Message 7 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

Thanks for some response , I have started a new conversation, so far no response, was cruising the chats and came across yours and possible general answers might be helpful... 

Message 8 of 13
Mbizdad
Initiate

Hi, keen to learn if the firmware update resolves this for you, I've been having the same issue for a few weeks now. I believe it's being caused by iDevices in the house, although haven't conclusively proven this as yet. Please post back once you do the update so I can try the same.
Thanks.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 13
rheeboy
Guide

I just installed the recommended firmware this morning.  I'll report back in a few days when there's enough time to see if the problem has been resolved. 

Message 10 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

Generalizing in the protocol DHCP, there was mention of idevices with connectivity issues, my iPhone 6 having problems with " handshakes" / request and acknowledge from router which causes a address assignment of 0.0.0.0 . Meaning the host does not recognize device, that being said I'm not sure if IPv6 link local fe80::: takes over. ? Any CCNA folks out there want comment / add / correct ??

Message 11 of 13
rheeboy
Guide

As an update, we still have some dropped connections needing multple password entries, but not as much as before the firmware update.  It's not a total solution, but at least its better than before.

Message 12 of 13
MTWOODLAND
Guide

Passwords could be just save option on either end, specially if it's only one / two of your nine thousand devices. check Cache settings / remember passwords / etc. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7