Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 FW 1.0.3.4

Roy2001
Guide

I installed this FW yesterday but wife keep getting disconnected. I have to switch back to 1.0.2.46.

Message 26 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

Im still on 1.0.3.4 but took the media drive off it. Put the exact same drive on my mac mini htpc shared dlna with kodi and its perfect. With no buffering etc... Its a 5 gb Seagate USB 3 so the problem is with the Nighthawk for sure. 2.4 band showed back up too. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Message 27 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

I am also attaching a Seagate 5TB USB drive, looks like if I read the files on it or play the movie, wifi would have the problem.

Message 28 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

Just tried the same test with a USB 2.0 media share and 1TB drive mostly just to prove a point. Already knew what would happen. It stutters miserably through the R8000 but when it's on any other Dona server on my net it is fine. I've tried it with OS X using Kodi on a mini, OSX using A DLNA server app on a Mac Pro, and Kodi Linux on a laptop. Hope this gets fixed soon...
Message 29 of 58
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jvaillancourt Do you still unable to see the ReadyCloud option?

@scrufy, @Roy2001 Did you guys try the hard reset after firmware upgrade?

Check if you have "Enabled 20/40 MHz Coexistence" selected.

Message 30 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

I gave up and just plugged the drive into my Kodi server running on an old Linux laptop.

The readyshare has issues. Now the drive streams hd 1080p movie files just fine in mkv or mp4 using usb 2 on Kodi and dlna and that laptop is at least 5 years old. usb 3 on ready share just stutters and is basically unusable for dlna. Once I disabled ready share I have the 2.4 channel usable again. So.. I'd surmise that it is a bug. Doesnt look like it has much attention so could be awhile if it gets addresed.

Message 31 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

oh and forgot to mention yes coexist is /was selected. Also downgraded and then re upgraded fw just in case I had a corrupt install.

Message 32 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

@ElaineM, I tried the latest firmware again, the experience is terrible. Every time I changed the settings I need to wait for 2 minutes to reboot, and after a while, some devices get disconnected again. Some devices have internet connection but cannot login to router until I reboot.

Also, with latest firmware, I have to unplug the cable modem to make it work, otherwise, router would force to use Motorola SB6121 as gateway.... 

A lot of trouble. Now I change back to 1.0.24... and went through the same procedure. Now I cannot edit/change the NAS drive name. I have NAS services based on the name...

Message 33 of 58
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you verify which wireless signal you're having problems with?

Is it on the 2.4 or 5?

I acknowledge that @scrufy can use 2.4GHz after disabling ReadyShare.

How about for you @Roy2001? Is it the same? Which wireless signal?

Do you always have problems on wireless connection on either bands? Is this accurate?

Try the hard reset below and see if it will help.

1. With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on the back of unit for 30seconds.

2. Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds.

3. Power on the unit while STILL pushing the reset button and count for another 30 seconds before letting it go.

Also, make sure no other devices that may interfere with the wireless signal.

Message 34 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

@ElaineM, the problem should be ReadyShare. It became so worse that I need to reboot several times a day. I cannot distinguish between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, some devices just lost connection while other devices can still visit some website but cannot log into the router. I have to push the power button to reset. Did everything but won't help. Now I am with latest firmware since rolling back won't help.

So yesterday I decide to disconnect the USB drive. Looks it is fine until today I decide to connect it back, and it had problem within 30 minutes. So I am without a USB again. WIll report back, but this really sucks. I am thinking to move to Kong mod DD-WRT.

Message 35 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

@ElaineM

The problem is CLEARLY 2.4 and Readyshare on newest fw.

very repeatable.

Message 36 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

Yes the problem is ReadyShare! This makes USB port not usable...

Message 37 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

Connecting HD to USB would make the R8000 stop working many times a day (sometimes after just 15min it would stop responding). Finally I decided to try Kong mod DD-WRT. It works well so far, after 36 hours, with NAS function turned on and I use it from time to time. FYI.

Message 38 of 58
JamesGL
Master

Hi Roy2001,

Can you revert it back to the official firmware and perform a factory reset. Observe again the connection.

Message 39 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

@JamesGL, I have done that, same result..... Router itself works fine, but not with the 5TB USB HD.

Message 40 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

DD-WRT is stable and has more controls for R8000. I have used it for more than a week and recommend it. Search for Kong mod. Sorry netgear, I like your beautiful hardware but prefer opensource firmware 🙂

Message 41 of 58
avtella
Prodigy

With DD-WRT you lose Broadcom's proprietary NAT acceleration which is not open source, I believe Tomato however supports it. Under normal condition it should not be too problematic but if you have like a 200-300+ Mbps ISP speeds you may run into issues.

Message 42 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

I am surprised there is no firmware update for more than half year. dd-wrt copy/write speed is not as good as netgear firmware, but I have 4T/5T hard drive connnected to R8000, I lost wifi a few minutes after I reboot the router. It is really easy to reproduce the bug...

Message 43 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

Well, I've had enough. Months and no visible effort to fix this. The broken firmware is still linked even though it has a very obvious, repeatable bug.

Last Netgear product for me I guess. This was a current flagship product when I first reported it.

I'll never understand why there is such a consumer expectation double standard when it comes to software.

Would you tolerate buying a car and the stereo doesnt work? How about the lights? 

I'm an engineer and write my own tools at work in several languages so I do have a little insight. 

Message 44 of 58
scrufy
Tutor

oh forgot to mention, there is also a bug in changing the 5 ghz channels. I went open source months ago though and will leave it that way until my next router purchase.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 45 of 58
Roy2001
Guide

Netgear has abandoned R8000? The old R7000 got the firmware update recently but no R8000 update for 7 months.

Message 46 of 58
Eluder
Star

Ya, it's pretty sad, I've had a pretty bad experience with my R8000 so far, it's quite unstable, especially compared to my previous (non netgear) AC1900 router.

This is my first, and last Netgear from the looks of it, unless Netgear can pull a rabbit out of its behind and give us some amazingly stable and feature rich firmware soon.

Message 47 of 58
thecaretakeruk
Aspirant

I suffer from the known ipv6 issue with PPPoE where the router won't issue a ipv6 address on the LAN. There is a long thread about it on the ZEN Internet forums. It does seem specific to Zen Internet PPPoE connections. Negear have tried fixing this for the R7000 and have issued beta firmware for users affected to try to resolve it. There is no such help for R8000 users.

Message 48 of 58
JamesGL
Master

Hi Roy2001,

Please check your inbox.

Message 49 of 58
thecaretakeruk
Aspirant

If there is a beta firmware, I'd be happy to try it....

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7