Re: R8000 Firmware 1.0.4.12 kills download speeds

aussiemacca
Aspirant

R8000 Firmware 1.0.4.12 kills download speeds

Hi all,

I recently updated the firmware in my R8000 from V1.0.4.4 to V1.0.4.12. The following day everyone in the house was complaining about the download speeds. I ran a speed test and hated the results, rolled back to V1.0.4.4 and ran the speed test that was good. To check it wasn't a dodgy install and the V1.0.4.12 firmware was dodgy, I installed V1.0.4.12 again. Once again the download speeds nose dived. So now I'm back to V1.0.4.4 and hoping someone from Netgear see this and the firmware bug in V1.0.4.12 is fixed soon.

Speedtest results, all within 30 minutes (it's a D:12Mbps/U:1Mbps plan, so the V1.0.4.4 are fine)

V1.0.4.12 - D: 0.83Mbps / U: 0.85Mbps

V1.0.4.4 - D: 7.87 Mbps / U: 0.95Mbps

V1.0.4.12 - D: 0.61Mbps / U: 0.58Mbps

V1.0.4.4 - D: 7.93 Mbps / U: 0.81Mbps

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
bancone
Guide

The same is happening to me.

After firmware version 1.0.4.12, I had to change my Internet settings since with my usual PPPoE setting, my speed dropped to 0,5 Mbps over a 15 Mbps ADSL.

I'd prefer to use PPPoE rather than the actual routed configuration with NAT, but for now this is the only way to make this router work at the right speed.

I have to say that the IPv6 bug is still there.

Since firmware version 1.0.4.2 IPv6 stopped working on my R8000 router. Router's IPv6 Address On WAN is OK, but no address is available on LAN.

Please fix these bugs.

Message 2 of 11
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Just to check that you have done a reset after the update to 1.0.4.12?

What speedtest site or app did you use to test the connection?

Message 3 of 11
aussiemacca
Aspirant

I reset the router after each change in firmware. The speedtest site I used was http://www.speedtest.net/

Message 4 of 11
aussiemacca
Aspirant

Hey the IPv6 issue is interesting. I had set it up (a long time ago) and it had been working well, but now having a look it isn't working anymore...maybe the issue that you flagged.

Message 5 of 11
bancone
Guide

Hello,

I did a reset, too, but nothing changed. All the bugs are still there:

IPv6: I get the address on WAN, but no addresses at all on LAN

Internet setup: no problems with DHCP, very slow speed with PPPoE

As ADSL device I use the one my provider has given me. Please remember that I had no problems at all with firmware 1.0.3.54 or older.

Thanks for your help

Message 6 of 11
aussiemacca
Aspirant

I'm not sure that the upstream device has any impact. The R8000 router works at speed with earlier firmware, but the latest kills the speeds, so the issue relates to the router.

But for clarity, the upstream device is a fibre->copper broadband termination box that is installed in (at least) thousands of homes across the country.

Message 7 of 11
bancone
Guide

My modem is this: https://assistenzatecnica.tim.it/at/portals/assistenzatecnica.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=InternetB...

Please remember that I never had problems with previous firmwares. I can also check with another modem, but I'm very confident that the problem is on your side. I hope you'll soon solve both bugs.

In two months, I'll switch the modem to a VDSL model.

Message 8 of 11
bancone
Guide

This kind of help is useless. I already know that I can switch back to an older firmware, but I will also loose the latest security updates, as per Netgear release notes. I hope Netgear read this post and solve these bugs, since PPPoE isn't working as it was with previous firmwares and IPv6 is completely broken.

I can live without these features, but not without security updates, especially if Netgear doesn't explain what these security updates are for.

If Netgear would not remove these bugs, I will be more than happy to buy another router from other vendors.

Premium routers are useless without support.

Message 9 of 11
bancone
Guide

After losing about two hours on phone with Netgear Support, I discovered that PPPoE connections have very slow speed if you have enabled Traffic Meter on your router.

Therefore, either you enable Traffic Meter or you use PPPoE connection with your Internet provider. You cannot have both.

Also, the IPv6 bug is still there and nothing can be done to solve this problem at the moment.

Message 10 of 11
SikTwistedFreek
Aspirant

Had the same problem. After updating to latest firmware I started experiencing lots of weird network problems. Download/Upload speeds dropped to about 10% of my 40Mbps speed. After messing around with different ideas and having the phone company check my lines, I figured out that it all started after the last firmware update. 

I downgraded (or is that upgraded :-D) to the previous firmware and my speeds were back to normal.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements