Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 Firmware 1.0.4.4 Wireless Drops

apil1
Apprentice

R8000 Firmware 1.0.4.4 Wireless Drops

I updated my R8000 router to firmware 1.0.4.4 this week, and have been getting 5GHz WiFi drop only on Android phones.  I do not use 2.4GHz unless the device is not dual-band to know if it is also an issue.  As I sit here watching the wireless signal disappear on my phone, I am on my Windows 10 laptop and continue to have an active connection during the times my phone cannot find a signal.  I also have an Amazon Fire TV Stick on the 5GHz network running Netflix and no disconnects.  My phone does not show in attached devices, even after it reconnects.  Using the WiFi Analytics app, I show 100% signal strength and -50 dBm where I am sitting.  I have beamforming and smart connect turned on, but have not had issues with those settings before now.  I tried reverting to 1.0.4.2, but the issue persists.

I did not reset the router after this update because I generally have not found any issues updating.  Do I need to try this first or are there known general issues with WiFi dropping?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
apil1
Apprentice

WiFi Analyzer doesn't pick up any other 5GHz networks in the area, so interference shouldn't be an issue.  Since I removed the bridge, the connection has been fine on 1.0.4.4.  Not sure when it went defunct, but the last router reboot must have disconnected the bridge for good and it kept trying to send connection requests.  Best guess is either Windows dealt with the issue gracefully, or Android phones being lower priority on the router kept getting the boot.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 17

All Replies
apil1
Apprentice

I went overkill and reset the router, updated the firmware back to 1.0.4.4 by uploading the file myself instead of using the Internet, reset the router again, then manually configured all the settings.  Android phones were still dropping.  I had recently enabled IPv6 as 6to4 Tunnel trying to see if my ISP supported resedential IPv6 addressing, which I've disabled now, but I also came to realize that my WNCE4004 Wireless Bridge had gone rogue and was refusing to reconnect to the 5GHz network.  Even after resetting it, I was unable to get it to connect to the 5GHz network.  I do currently use a EX7007 Range Extender for getting signal to cover the basement, but do not believe those should have been in conflict.

I've unplugged the bridge and left it powered off.  Checking my phone for 20 minutes and no drop outs, not long enough to be conclusive, but long enough I believe I should have seen one by now.  I may try re-enabling IPv6 tomorrow to see if my phone starts dropping again, but right now have a big suspicion the bridge was essentially causing a DOS on the 5GHz network if not just one of the two channels.

Message 2 of 17
joelbb
Guide

I have no solution, just want to say that the 1.0.4 firmware is not ready for prime time. It has caused endless problems for me.
Message 3 of 17
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

You may try changing channels for 5Ghz and check if it will help. Disable QoS as well.

Message 4 of 17
apil1
Apprentice

WiFi Analyzer doesn't pick up any other 5GHz networks in the area, so interference shouldn't be an issue.  Since I removed the bridge, the connection has been fine on 1.0.4.4.  Not sure when it went defunct, but the last router reboot must have disconnected the bridge for good and it kept trying to send connection requests.  Best guess is either Windows dealt with the issue gracefully, or Android phones being lower priority on the router kept getting the boot.

Message 5 of 17
n750dave
Tutor

I've had my R8000 since October 2014, and in those three years I've had no issue of any kind.  All updates have worked without a hitch... until now.

When I updated to 1.0.4.4, my Android devices and my Chromebook had connectivity issues on 2.4g and 5g as described by april1, above.

I went back to 1.0.4.2 and my problems disappeared.

Living in a rural area, there are no other 5g broadcasts to compete with, so I'm pretty sure that this was not the issue with 1.0.4.4.

Any thoughts?

Message 6 of 17
apil1
Apprentice

If it's both channels, might want to try updating, reseting the router, then configuring by hand, do not restore a backup.  Also download the firmware and upload it to the router manually, do not update by internet.

My issue seemed to be a device that was continually trying to connect on the 5GHz network but failing, which apaprently caused lower priority devices to be denied a connection, or Android were being sensitive to continually being forced to change channels because I enable smart connect.

Message 7 of 17
n750dave
Tutor

I need to amend my post, above.  I spoke too soon! Soon after going back to 1.0.4.2, my Android devices began, again, to cycle endlessly between being connected and disconnected from the R8000. 

I then downloaded the 1.0.3.54 firmware and installed it on the R8000, and now (several days later), not one hiccup, not one disconnect/reconnect cycle.

At this point, my thoughts are that if it is the Android devices causing the problem, why would the problem go away when I downgraded the firmware to 1.0.3.54?  In my mind the problem has to be with the 1.0.4.4 and 1.0.4.2 firmware releases.

I'm frustrated because I want the security of the most recent firmware release, but it is not worth the problems it causes my Android devices.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance!

Message 8 of 17
SmallTrader
Apprentice

I tried 1.0.4.4 for R8000 and experienced random WiFi dropout issue as described people above.

The difference is the WiFi drop out is on the 2.4GHz band and it is a Win10 machine. In addition, 1.0.4.4 has worse speed performance than 1.0.3.54 over WiFi according to SpeedTest. About 20 - 25% less WiFi speed.

Downgraded to 1.0.3.54 and all is well again. It looks like 1.0.4.* release have problems or at device compatibility issues with both Windows and Android. This is a shame as 1.0.4.* is supposed to have more security fixes.

IMHO. Netgear should be doing more regression testing before releasing. I guess rapid release is the current bandwagon - let the public be the guinea pig / beta testers.

I hope NetGear can look into these issues and fix them in a a future release.

Message 9 of 17
chigos85
Guide

hello guys, I'm Italian, I also had the same problem with the firmware 1.0.4.4 now I entered the 1.0.3.54, a question you the antennas have you open all, how can I improve the reach of the wifi? thank you so much

italiano:

ciao ragazzi, sono italiano,anche io ho avuto lo stesso problema con il firmware 1.0.4.4 ora ho inserito il 1.0.3.54, una domanda voi le antenne le avete aperte tutte, come posso migliorare la portata del wifi? grazie mille

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 10 of 17
paultheowl
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice. I upgraded to 1.0.4.4 and my wifi was also unreliable - android devices were connecting to the wifi, but not connecting to the internet, and my extender was unreliable. Factory reset it twice, and still the same problem.

Downgraded to 1.0.3.54 and everything works again.

I wish I had backed up my settings 😞

Message 11 of 17
n750dave
Tutor

To answer the antenna question, I have my R8000 mounted on the wall at a height of 7 feet. All six antennas are set at a 90 degree angle from the plane of the base.

Having it mounted up high makes the biggest difference in WiFi coverage.

Message 12 of 17
TerryPh
Virtuoso

NETGEAR is actively looking at the problem. I myself have big problems with 1.0.4.4.1.1.42 and 1.0.4.4.1.1.41, extensively for past 3 eeks. Talking endlessly to advance tech support, after exchange/return new, problems still persist until I downgrade to FW1. 0.3.54, which has been flawlessly stable. Sure enought, I love to take advantage of security update and Cirlce parental control (which does not matter to me at all, since my children are all grown up) , but not without internet connection or flawed FW,

I kow NETGEAR is putting up a beta FW, and I am actually beta testing it. Still have minor problem but I guess they are trying to fix it.

So for now, FW 1.0.3.54 is most stable and does not give any problems at all.

Message 13 of 17
ChrisCookDev
Aspirant

Having updated earlier today, I'm experiencing the same Android specific issues.
As a result, how would I sign up to test the beta firmware?
Message 14 of 17
TerryPh
Virtuoso

The beta version still has problem. The best bet is to fully downgrade to older version 1.0.3.54, also do it with full reset 30-30-30 resetting.
Message 15 of 17
NetSeeker
Initiate

We have two of these at my work and after the update I had the same problem. No wireless connectivity on all Android devices. They connect to the router but then give the "connected but no internet message" while all other devices are connecting fine. Took awhile to figure this out. Backdated the firmware two versions to V1.0.3.54_1.1.37 and we are back up and running. I did a full reset and used backed up config files and loaded them to save myself some time on configuring both.

Message 16 of 17
ChrisCookDev
Aspirant

@TerryPh wrote:
The beta version still has problem. The best bet is to fully downgrade to older version 1.0.3.54, also do it with full reset 30-30-30 resetting.

Hi TerryPh,

Despite that you mention the beta version still has issues, I'm very keen to try it rather than downgrading, as I've a nice plethora of different devices to test with the router. 

As a result, how did you approach signing up for trialling the beta version?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7