Re: R8000 Firmware Update 1.04.18 Bricked Router

kenh412
Aspirant

R8000 Firmware Update 1.04.18 Bricked Router

Genie app showed firmware was 1.04.12 and needed update to 1.04.18. I initiated the update via the app. After update, it appeared to reboot. Now nothing works. Tried unplug, replug. Tried reset button. Still no WiFi lights, nothing. Everything worked fine prior to update.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 17
IrvSp
Master

@kenh412 wrote:
Genie app showed firmware was 1.04.12 and needed update to 1.04.18. I initiated the update via the app. After update, it appeared to reboot. Now nothing works. Tried unplug, replug. Tried reset button. Still no WiFi lights, nothing. Everything worked fine prior to update.

What are the color of the LED's?

Can you reach the router via a browser?

Do you have a WIRED connection to the router? On Windows open a COMMAND PROMPT and enter IPCONFIG /ALL and what is the Gateway IP Address?

"Nothing works" means nothing to me. Need details and what troubleshooting you have tried besides the power and reset?

"Bricked" routers usually have the power light no white, but either red/orange or blinking.

Message 2 of 17
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@kenh412

Please provide information that @IrvSp has asked for if you really want a helping hand here to solve your problem.

Your earlier post is so generic and does not provide enough what people need to diagnose and/or suggesting a fix for your problem

Best

Message 3 of 17
kenh412
Aspirant

The router appears to constantly try to restart. All lights will go white, then red power solid, red 2 solid, blinking 1 white (Ethernet connection to computer).

I tried genie app on computer, Ethernet connection. It said trying to repair internet connection. Asked for my password but won’t allow me to log in.

Called support help number. Tried several things. She said I need to replace device AT MY EXPENSE because I did the update via the genie app via my iPhone.

If it’s a huge no-no to update via the iOS iPhone app (instead of a wired Ethernet connection) then why on God’s green Earth would the app allow me to do that???

Everything worked fine with firmware 1.04.12. I updated my Netgear device to firmware 1.04.18 by downloading the Netgear firmware using the Netgear Genie app. The new Netgear firmware crashes my device and I need to buy a new router at my own expense??? I’m floored by the lack of support from Netgear!!! I’ve had multiple Netgear routers over the years. Loyal customer no longer!
Message 4 of 17
IrvSp
Master

I'd try calling again... different agent might give you a different answer?

Message 5 of 17
ninja661
Luminary

I have experienced issues with the Genie app as well and have discontinued - now use the Nighthawk app or the router admin portal to do any managerial functions of the router.  The Nighthawk isn't completely functional (as was the Genie app) but when I updated the router to the latest firmware, I had it automatically pull the update from Netgear and it seems to be chugging along happily - no bricks or hard reset necessary - but am still working with Netgear on several issues (re: cannot send email from the router and the Genie app with ReadyCloud/backup seems not to function quite happily on Windows 10 Pro.)

Message 6 of 17
ringo12
Guide

Hi, I am just another victim here by updating it through routerlogin.net.

Desperately awaiting a solution !

Message 7 of 17
ninja660
Guide

I had used the router’s check for updated firmware utility and it worked in a flash. I didn’t use the manual update (ie download the firmware from the R8000 page on netgear.com. The router is chugging along as I type this message. Have you tried a hard reset by using the reset button on the back of the router?
Message 8 of 17
ringo12
Guide

Yeah, indeed I have tried 30/30/30 hard reset many times but did not work so far.

Message 9 of 17
ninja660
Guide

When you have the router plugged in, do you get any lights aka power light on the router and have you tried the hard reset too via button on back side of the router - the older routers you needed to hold it for 30 seconds and watch the router lights some would go solid and then start flashing about 10 sec after pressed but the 30 sec would do a thorough reset, after 30 sec the router would do a restart cycle.
Message 10 of 17
ringo12
Guide

Yes, I have disconnected the power cable, then upon reconnecting I push the reset button for 60 seconds. Still only the amber power light remains.

Message 11 of 17
aliencds
Aspirant

Thank you Case850. I just bricked mine doing the update through the web interface over wifi. Used the TFTP instructions after panicking for about 15 minutes. Took me about a minute following those instructions and now i'm back in business. This router lives to die another day.

I did enable this router firmware auto-update feature. It does worry me a bit because now the router can just brick itself whenever it feels like it. Should I disable that?

Message 12 of 17
Pntsharma
Guide

Good to hear it helped you. I was in a similar situation and I know how it feels. Most of those instructions are scattered, I just put them together. Cheers mate!
Message 13 of 17
ninja660
Guide

I tried this tftp to dump the firmware file to the router and the router refused the connection via tftp. I could connect via ftp however after allowing the ftp app through the windows firewall and using the router credentials. Tftp as itself could not connect to the router at all.
Message 14 of 17
ringo12
Guide

Hi, when you say you could connect via ftp however after allowing the ftp app through the windows firewall and using the router credentials, do you mean you have disabled all internet security softwares ? Are you successful ? If yes, may I ask what router credentials did you put ? I have tried 192.168.1.1, both the R8000 factory preset password, "password"  and no password, neither one can connect.

Message 15 of 17
ninja660
Guide

I used the user name “admin” and the password as set when you first set up the router when in the way Netgear has the router login to change the password and not leaving it “password” ftp worked you could do most of the ftp commands but I didn’t look around that much.
Message 16 of 17
wcalifas831
Prodigy

Did you try unbricking it with the tftp method? Look up on youtube "how to unbrick a router" and follow those steps by using the program tftp2 and the firmware you want to load onto the router.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements