Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Firmware V1.0.4.18, OpenVPN not working

R8000 Firmware V1.0.4.18, OpenVPN not working

Upgraded to the new V1.0.4.18 firmware for my R8000 that updates the OpenVPN service to use a more secure hash. Unfortunately, it seems to have made it even more secure by just not working! 

When I updated the firmware, it asked me to update the OpenVPN certificate, which I did. Created new profiles for my devices (iphone and MacBook) and installed them. OpenVPN services is checked on, but it isn't responding. Tried turning the service on and off and rebooting the router, but the VPN service doesn't seem to be running. No response from the UDP port locally or remote. DynamicDNS is up to date and has the correct public IP for my router. 

Help?! 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: R8000 Firmware V1.0.4.18, OpenVPN not working

I did another powercycle of the router and I got presented with the update VPN certificate again. Now everything seems to work as expected.

Thanks for the help and sorry to be so cranky. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies

Ugh. That's an awful solution since I've got a lot of customization on the router (DHCP clients, customized settings for wifi to deal with interference, etc...)

If that's the best solution, I'll just go get another router that's not Netgear. My time is valuable, I'd rather just spend another $150 on something that works then wasting a day trying to write down my configuration and then hopefully reload it correctly. 

Message 2 of 11
cebailey33
Aspirant

1. Do you have the latest OpenVPN Client?

2. Did you go to routerlogin.net -> Advanced tab -> VPN -> Check enable VPN box then download the proper packages?

3. Did you clear all the files in (Windows) 'C:\Program Files(x86)\OpenVPN\config' before pasting the new files into it

4. Did you rename your VPN NIC to "NETGEAR-VPN"? (this is an absolute must unless you changed the client1.ovpn config file to search for a different VPN NIC name)

I also have an R8000, followed the steps exactly as detailed, and mine was working immediately after the update.  It would indicate you're doing something wrong in your steps.

You might want to uninstall OpenVPN, clear the OpenVPN directory, and start over following the steps exactly; it'll take 5-10 minutes.

Message 3 of 11

@cebailey33 Nah. It's not the profile. It's the service itself. It doesn't appear to be running on the router, despite being checked on. I've tried touching the ports and it's not listening on the router. So, to me that suggests that the service isn't running. 

As @Case850 suggests, I probably have to do a hard reset and start all over, which is terrible. Just irritated by shoddy code/hardware and computers being terrible in general. I deal with computers all day for work, the last thing I want to do is come home to more poorly engineered equipment. I want something that just works. 

Message 4 of 11
shamarin
Virtuoso

Try to update sertificate again.
Message 5 of 11

I did another powercycle of the router and I got presented with the update VPN certificate again. Now everything seems to work as expected.

Thanks for the help and sorry to be so cranky. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
treehugger767
Aspirant

Never got the prompt after the update even with multiple reboots. So I selected the nonwindows option and down loaded new certificates. I have imported them into the Android Openvpn client application and still no joy. Keeps logging a certificate error. VPN has not worked since updating to new firmware version V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 11
treehugger767
Aspirant

Have now completed doing the factory reset and manually reconfiguring. It fixed nothing, still seeing the VPN TLS cert failures. Had previously put new certs in the Android VPN client application. Also working with the Android application developer for the client application.

Message 8 of 11
shamarin
Virtuoso

Reupdate OpenVPN via router admin panel.

Message 9 of 11
treehugger767
Aspirant

That was one of the first things tried. By the way you have to download and install from a file to reinstall the same version.
Message 10 of 11
treehugger767
Aspirant

With more testing it now appears to an issue with the cert files. The files were created from the R8000 VPN webpage by using the nonwindows button. I have another VPN issue thread where I will continue to work the problem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7