R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

Rizzed
Novice

Re: R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

The previous firmware version had no problems (sudden reboots...), even when running about 10 torrents simultaneously. Is anyone else having similar problems?
Message 26 of 118
TANWare
Star

My bet then is the QoS is causing havoc. I'll trade you my stability for your bandwidth . Smiley Happy
Message 27 of 118
Rizzed
Novice

Ha, why not? The local speed here is fast (able to achieve 1Gbps speeds), but the international speed is pretty slow, ranging from 1Mbps - 50Mbps currently, and most websites we access are usually located internationally from our location. Much difference right? If i hadn't switched to Fiber from Cable Broadband, i'm pretty sure the international speed will be the same as the local speed. I'm not that sure though, i just read it from the internet.

On a serious note, Dynamic QoS has been DISABLED.

This morning i did the same thing again (reset via reset button, flash firmware AGAIN, reset via reset button, and than an additional reset via reset button again). I'm not sure if the extra reset worked, but it's worth a try for those who are having problems, as the problems seems to have faded into the world. Who knows? There may be a router-disease spreading through the air, waiting to find it's rightful owner, careful now >Smiley Happy
Message 28 of 118
TANWare
Star

I had not noticed with prior versions but this one has to have the HW reset. And multiple times as well, especially after flash. I do not think the reset before new FW clears out all the memory as well as the reset after the flash with then new FW. I HW reset before the flash and still had the usb drive issues. It was not until a HW reset afterwards that it cleared up.
Message 29 of 118
Mooch
Novice

My Netgear Router R8000 firmware update from 1.0.1.16 to1.0.2.44. After update my computer is now giving my location as Dublin, Ireland not Lewes, DE 19958. If I bypass my router and Ethernet my computer directly I do not have that problem. I feel the problem is the last firmware update I installed successfully. The Phone rep. gave me a ID# 17695223. Please Help!
Message 30 of 118
TANWare
Star

had you as well done the HW reset and s suggeste4d manually setup the router?
Message 31 of 118
nikony13
Aspirant

When i copy a file from my desktop which is connected to R8000 through ethernet cable to HDD which is connected to usb 3.0 on R8000 my download speed drops by half. As soon as copying is finished speed goes back to normal.
Message 32 of 118
lilstone87
Apprentice

I would consider this normal, as transferring data to a USB drive connected to the router, requires using the CPU on the router. So i would think it would be normal for people with higher speed connections will suffer a bit while transferring data to the usb drive.
Message 33 of 118
AnakiMana
Novice

Hi, I noticed the latest firmware has a new Dynamic QoS feature. I'm considering purchasing this router, but I need to know whether the QoS can be configured for wired devices as well? How simple or advanced can you get with QoS in the R8000?

I'm going to have a couple of servers but the most important thing is my SIP/VOIP phone system. I run a business out of my home and very much into PC gaming as well... I'm considering other routers, but I like the specs on this one. Just a bit worried about stability reports too. (But I'm not afraid of DD-WRT - long time user of it, but I know it slows things down too).

Sorry for being long-winded.
Message 34 of 118
Leeman1
Aspirant

Yes the QOS can be set up and configurable for wired devices. The firmware sets the QOS setting (low, Medium, High, Highest) initially when QOS is activated but you can override each devices setting and save it as something else.

QOS works OK and I think I'll keep it activated. It's nice to know that when I'm streaming a movie on Apple TV the router gives it priority over other devices such as my Internet cameras, phones or wireless hubs.
Message 35 of 118
sbtyper
Apprentice

Rizzed wrote:
The previous firmware version had no problems (sudden reboots...), even when running about 10 torrents simultaneously. Is anyone else having similar problems?

Yes!! I am having crazy problems with this new firmware. The connection is constantly dropping. I have been rebooting/restarting all my devices. Though it might of been the powerline adapters. Is there a way i can revert back to previous firmware?
Message 36 of 118
TANWare
Star

yes, you just need to load it up just as you did with this one. You will though get a warning about it being older but that is ok just push through it. The usual disclaimer though as if you upgrade or downgrade a FW at your own risk.

Just to be safe you may want to do a hardware reset before the FW change over.
Message 37 of 118
napalmdeth
Aspirant

firmware 1.0.2.44_1.0.96 breaks dropcam connectivity...

rolling back to 1.0.1.16 fixes it

why? I have no idea.

from the notes, maybe these fixes?
- Supports Dynamic QoS
- Fixes CVE-2014-3566 (POODLE: TSL vulnerability)

I will no longer just click the "new firmware" big red button
Message 38 of 118
NetGearHead5
Guide

This release is terrible. My router is spontaneously rebooting every other day. I'm having serious issues where my family can't get their Android devices to connect (periodically).

I'm sooo tired of the crappy releases. The state of my router is on my mind constantly. I have to remember to recycle it every other day or start getting serious streaming issues.
Message 39 of 118
TANWare
Star

I thought with the old version you were rebooting every two days as well?
Message 40 of 118
NetGearHead5
Guide

TANWare wrote:
I thought with the old version you were rebooting every two days as well?

Correct. I'm going to start a support case with Netgear. One way or the other, this needs to get fixed.
Message 41 of 118
Tsparky
Aspirant

NetGearHead5 wrote:
This release is terrible. My router is spontaneously rebooting every other day. I'm having serious issues where my family can't get their Android devices to connect (periodically).

I'm sooo tired of the crappy releases. The state of my router is on my mind constantly. I have to remember to recycle it every other day or start getting serious streaming issues.

I stopped using 5 gHz band with Samsung S4 due to connection drop issues. 2.4 gHz appears to work ok so far...
Message 42 of 118
NetGearHead5
Guide

That's not an option for me, my 2.4ghz is overloaded as is. I've got 25-30 devices connected at any one time between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I do agree with you that the 2.4ghz is stable but shouldn't we expect Netgear to stabilize 5ghz rather than just steering around it?
Message 43 of 118
TANWare
Star

mine so far is stable on all channels. I have no one else locally competing for the 5GHz and no where near the amount of devices.
Message 44 of 118
tokillyou
Novice

IMO the QOS is junk. I tested it over and over and found that the speeds you designate are not true and a wireless laptop set with low priority streaming netflix killing the rest of your network downloads is not a good QOS. Can't wait for tomato to work for this router.
Message 45 of 118
TANWare
Star

I'll agree in that it is too simplified and without more control of QoS it is just too generic.
Message 46 of 118
SKASHWOO
Aspirant

hey, dont know about the rest of you but the support from Netgear is perhaps the worst I have ever experienced. untrained and uncaring customer service outsourced to India obviously are preoccupied with scripts instead of satisfying customer needs. i have a R8000 that is blamed by my local provider for poor connections...everyday we have to unplug the unit to get the other 1/2 of our computers to have web access. Instead of helping us through the issue we get a demand to sign up for some service agreement. This will be the very last net gear product I will buy and I will be certain to let others know of the less than poor service I obtained through the so difficult to access "support team" A JOKE does not adequately describe what service means. someone could use a lesson in " what is a value proposition".
Message 47 of 118
Squuiid
Luminary

Wow. This is one horrible firmware release.
I've said this many times before, and I hate having to keep repeating myself, Netgear's firmware development team lead needs to go. He is clearly not project managing as he should. Where's the QA team?!
Horrible release. This should not happen.
Message 48 of 118
TANWare
Star

Squuiid, I'd have to ask what issues are you having. I mean stating it is just a horrible release does not help. I may even have the same issues and not know it. I was trying the static IP in the router for WAN and while my ISP supposedly supports it, and even after switching back to dynamic still has the same IP, I loose DNS connectivity.
Message 49 of 118
tpc01
Aspirant

Did anyone besides me have problems with this update? It bricked my router, I am waiting for Netgear to send a replacement.

I was told by support that the update could not be done via a wireless connection, is that true? The email I got about the update did not say that and if this was true I would have hoped the updated would have checked my connections type as I would assume 99.99% of the people use the wireless capability of this router.

Any help/info would be appreciated
Message 50 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements