R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

TANWare
Star

Re: R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96

So far I have done every update wirelessly. TBH, wired connection is the safest method though, that is if there can be such a thing.
Message 51 of 118
tpc01
Aspirant

TANWare wrote:
So far I have done every update wirelessly. TBH, wired connection is the safest method though, that is if there can be such a thing.

That seems reasonable, I was skeptical. It would seem if it required a hard connection the installer would check for that.
Message 52 of 118
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It’s over 12 years now since I joined the Netgear forums, the reason – a failed router firmware upgrade to the WGT624 using a wireless connection and the router’s own upgrade option. Netgear were quick to provide a replacement.

I still occasionally use the wireless connection for upgrades, but I believe that there can be an increased risk of failure using that method.

The firmware upgrade instructions do contain this comment;

“Note: To avoid wireless disconnect issue during the firmware download process, NETGEAR recommends that firmware upgrade be performed on a computer with wired connection.”
big_j_ny
Aspirant

searay wrote:
on previous FW when checking connection rate it was always 780 and bouncing up to 866.7 Now when checking it's 866.7 like the r7000. Weather or not it means anything is yet to be determined.

So searay, is the R8000 still performing the same way you have stated in your previous post quoted above?

I am still currently on the last FW, and in the last few days or so, my 2.4GHz band's connection rate has started to throttle up or down on an inconsistent basis.

I did a power-cycle, and it seems to have fixed the problem for a few hours. Now, the 2.4GHz band has returned to "up-and-down" connection rates.

Just checking to see if finally updating to the current FW will resolve my issues (and trust me I checked inSSIDer, I don't have radio interference)
Message 54 of 118
Siqueira
Fledgling

My problem with R8000 is the poor functionalities its FW provides. It's such a powerfull router, yet underexplored by its own admin software.
To have media server working, you must have at least one network folder shared w/o password, which opens r/w access not only to all your network users/devices, but to all internet if you decide to activate ftp/http to be accessible from outside your home. I can't believe netgear provides such a poor security management in a pricey device.
Another problem is you don't have a download feature like in Asus UI. With asus, you can download torrents and even direct links from the UI directly to you NAS, keeping your PC turned off, while the router does the work for you. You can start that even remotely.
Not only Asus has a longer feature list, but its implementation seems to be better, as from a usability stand point.
R8000 is a fast router, but that's all it has to offer. And Asus RT-AC3200 is about as fast as R8000, with a much more mature admin software.
Now, you're probably asking why I bought a netgear instead of an Asus. Well, when I bought an Asus, the guy at best buy suggested me a netgear and I ignored his suggestion. Of course, Asus is not perfect (although I'd rather live with asus limitations than netgear's), and now that I needed another router, I decided to give netgear a chance. I didn't have an opportunity to use/configure it before buying it (if I had, I likely wouldn't have bought it). Also, I bought it in US, but I don't live there and now returning and exchanging it is a complex and costly operation.
But that's not the point. Netgear gotta have responsibility with its customers. For a 300 bucks device, it should release a decent FW for this router, resolving all the bugs mentioned by the other users in this topic and improving its features. Also, if developing further features in its own FW will take longer, it should support DD-WRT development team to solve its performance problems (netgear advertises it is opensource friendly, remember?) as way of giving us customers an offical alternative.
I hope these comments gets to the netgear product development team.
Message 55 of 118
TANWare
Star

I'll agree that this FW in general is not very control specific. Without a doubt it leaves a lot to desire.
Message 56 of 118
Squuiid
Luminary

Got home today and both wifi radios on my R8000 were off, and when I logged in they showed as being on but were greyed out.
Had to do a hard reset to recover. Have now re-setup config and all is well again.

As I said in a previous post, this 1.0.2.33_1.0.96 firmware revision is garbage and Netgear's dev team are utterly incompetent.
We need a stable firmware for the R8000 and not have to wait a year like we did with the R7000 before it arrives.
Message 57 of 118
RoyTH
Aspirant

Hi, all a bit of a Newbie here having only purchased the R8000 yesterday to replace a dead Draytek router, I have updated the R8000 to the Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96 and so far most things seem ok apart from remote administration, I have enabled remote administration but when visiting the static IP appended with the appropriate remote admin port such as http://1.1.1.1:8080
I get the following error,

"
Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
"

do other people use remote admin? does it work for you?
Message 58 of 118
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you testing remote access from within your LAN or externally?
RoyTH
Aspirant

I was testing from external, but have now fixed it... Stupid me I forgot it was a HTTPS connection I was specifying HTTP!

Thank you

Roy
Message 60 of 118
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, thanks for the update.
bgiovannoni
Aspirant

This version of the firmware is very buggy.

1) The attached devices no longer shows all devices. Seems the Dynamic QoS wacks it out.

2) I have a very stable Bridge. With this patch I am not able to ping it or any device on the other side of the bridge. I am able to ping from the bridge side.

I had to drop back to V1.0.1.16_1.0.74. I had no problems with that version of software.
Message 62 of 118
Leeman1
Aspirant

I upgraded to the latest firmware when it came out and also turned QOS on and it seemed to work OK. I have 18 attached devices with 3 R7000's bridged to the R8000 and everything works great..

After a while I noticed my laptop's connection would slow down when there were no movies or anything streaming on the TV's so I turned QOS off and my laptop returned to normal. But last night we were streaming a movie and the connection would not hold HD so I think I may turn on the QOS setting again.

QOS is a good idea but it needs more work. Overall I'm happy with my setup with the routers.
Message 63 of 118
Haywire
Aspirant

I must be missing something obvious but I don't see an option to drop back to a previous Firmware version. Can someone explain the process?

Also, I think my router auto updated it's firmware. Is there a way to turn that off?

Thanks.
Message 64 of 118
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The router firmware will require you to agree to an update, it might auto-detect new firmware, but should not auto-update.

Your other question is answered in your own thread here;

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=96700
dhenderson002
Aspirant

I recommend that if you are using an Apple TV, do not upgrade the firmware to version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96. After the upgrade, Netflix on the apple TV would abruptly knock me back to the menu screen when watching an episode of a show. Stick with firmware version 1.0.1.16-1.0.74. It works flawlessly with no issues I have detected. I upgraded and then switched back.
Message 66 of 118
Hiero
Aspirant

After a month of testing and alot of random restarts, im rolling back to V1.0.1.16_1.0.74.

The firmware is ok, stable connection etc. the only problem is the random reboot it affects my download and also other whos watching online.

Hope the next firmware is tested thoroughly too bad im back to no QOS again..
Message 67 of 118
Squuiid
Luminary

When is Netgear going to provide an updated release? :confused:
I need to reboot the unit every couple of weeks in order to restore connection speed. This 1.0.2.44_1.0.96 firmware really is poor.
Is anyone testing a beta they can share?
Message 68 of 118
big_j_ny
Aspirant

Squuiid, just roll back to the older 1.0.74 firmware if you're struggling. Right now from most people in this thread (including myself), it appears the previous FW is the most stable FW for this R8000 at the moment
Message 69 of 118
Squuiid
Luminary

Thanks for the reply big_j but that's not really a solution. I do need some the the previous fixes listed below. Netgear firmware dev team just need to improve their QA environment and do some proper testing before releases. Getting tired of beta testing firmware. As mentioned previously, it took Netgear a whole year to bring out stable firmware for the R7000. It's looking like it will be the same for the R8000. This is not acceptable. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.90 Bug Fixes Fixed wireless connection issues. Improved the system stability. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.100 New Features and Enhancements FW supports Canada wireless region and passed IC certification for PAS initial production release. When the Router is in AP mode, changes its power LED to be solid white.(The FW behavior is flashing amber/white.) Bug Fixes Fixed - GUI incorrectly displays 'Port Status' in the ADVANCED tab > Administration > Router Status > Lan Port -'Show statistics' button. Fixed the IPTV LAN Port number display incorrect issue. Fixed the PR downloader filename incorrect name issue. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.102 Bug Fixes Improves the wireless connection stability. Improves the USB 3.0 IOT and the stability for file access. Fixes some IPv6 connection issues that happen in certain cases. Adds support for some IPv6 service over PPPoE. Improves Time Machine support. Fixes the issue that may consume more battery power of mobile devices connected to router. Fixes the issue that disallows multiple port forwarding rules to the same internal port. Fixes some GUI display issues in the Show Statistics window. Fixes the connection issue with Sonos speaker. Removes the detection function for AP mode. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.0.110 New Features Supports 'China' wireless region and passed SRRC & CCC certifications. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.1.16 New Features Supports Bridge/VLAN Settings. Bug Fixes Improves the wireless connection stability. Fixes the IPv6 auto detection issue in certain cases. Fixes the WPS connection issue on the second 5GHz WiFi band. Corrects the Chinese website link address: www.ORAY.cn Fixes the issue in which Samba overwrites large files incorrectly. Fixes the wireless throughput inconsistency issue. Fixes the Intel AC7260 connection issue when computers and tablets are on power save mode. Improves the interference resistance at 5 GHz. Fixes the IOT issue for some USB 3.0 storage devices. R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.44_1.0.96 New Features: Supports Dynamic QoS. Supports remote access with the genie app. Bug Fixes: Fixes the UPnP daemon crash issue when the R8000 router receives a SOAP message from QNAP NAS that is over the maximum length. Fixes CVE-2014-3566 (POODLE: TSL vulnerability). Improves the wireless connection stability between the R8000 router and the EX7000 and EX6200 extenders.
Message 70 of 118
agood214
Aspirant

Thanks for this thread - as a new owner I upgraded to 1.0.2.44_1.0.96 and found that after one day of use the 2.4 Ghz devices were without usable throughput.

I rebooted the device and found again the next day that all the 2.4 Ghz devices were again failing with random dns errors - as they had connection, but throughput was near zero.

I downgraded and things have been stable. Of note - I'm using basically a stock configuration with no QOS or other options outside of factory default.

This should have been easily caught in testing as a two week stability test would have caught this., clearly they are not testing releases well.
Message 71 of 118
agood214
Aspirant

opened a case 25306501, hopefully there is already a proper defect in to engineering on this.
Message 72 of 118
agood214
Aspirant

So this is what I got in reply - Is there a better channel to escalate ?

Thank you for your response.

With regard to your request, I do apologize for the inconvenience but we cannot provide you a case number related to this case because aside from its confidentiality, we have not tallied any query that we have not yet resolved in relation to the 2.4 GHz throughput after a firmware update.

They then go on to ask nonsense about powecycling the device and radio channels.
Message 73 of 118
Squuiid
Luminary

agood214 wrote:
So this is what I got in reply - Is there a better channel to escalate ?

Thank you for your response.

With regard to your request, I do apologize for the inconvenience but we cannot provide you a case number related to this case because aside from its confidentiality, we have not tallied any query that we have not yet resolved in relation to the 2.4 GHz throughput after a firmware update.

They then go on to ask nonsense about powecycling the device and radio channels.

Wow, that response is barely written in English. Pathetic.
Message 74 of 118
agood214
Aspirant

Squuiid wrote:
Wow, that response is barely written in English. Pathetic.

==============================
Turue - so this is what I got back from them after pointing out this thread and clearly outlining the issue:

It seems that a 9 page thread on the issues is nor enough to go on - I have to run Wireshark and be a test engineer for them ?

=============================
Below are the information I will be needing from you.

1.Current firmware or driver: (note the results).
2.Other firmware versions tested: (note the results of each version tried)
3.Hardware version confirmed:
4.Problem description details:
5.Status for each LED light: (on/off/blinking/color)
6.Network diagram/Topology: (MUST provide specific model/version of ALL devices and how they are connected)
7.Config file.
8.Config's LAN IP, username and password:
9.PC Adapter name and model (MUST list all devices that are having the problem and include their name/model):
10.Adapter's driver version:
11.Data Link Rate reported by Wireless Adapter:
12.Description of Environment (i.e. - distances, floors, brick walls).
13.Has user tried connecting using closer range (i.e. 6 feet)?
14.How often is the disconnection?
15.Do all devices disconnect at the same time (list names and models)?
16.Does issue happen on both bands?
17.Netstumbler/inSSIDer (iStumbler, if Mac OS X) screenshot(s) (MUST be included in all escalations): (file name)
18.Packet captures (Wireshark) included: (file name)

Regards,

Jmaes
Expert ID: 87001
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert
Message 75 of 118
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements