Re: R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.46_1.0.97

Marten_g
Aspirant

R8000 Firmware Version 1.0.2.46_1.0.97

Hi

After update of firmware to 1.0.2.46_1.0.97 I can only see the first 5.0Ghz channel not the second.

Have try to go back to previous firmware (1.0.2.44_1.0.96) there everything worked fine, but

now I have same problem here to. I have no problem before update.

/TM

Message 1 of 18
Marten_g
Aspirant

I do a new update again and then I disconnect the router some minute and than restart,

now it seems to work. Before I let the program restart the router.

/TM

Message 2 of 18
Marten_g
Aspirant

Hi.

I have still little problems with second channel. After I have made some change in the router and saved this

the second channel (5.0Ghz) will drops.

If I disconnect/close the router and than restart it works again.

Before I update the firmware(from 96-->97), I did not do this.

Message 3 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Marten_g,

Please make sure that you perform a factory reset then reconfigure after a firmware update.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 18
Marten_g
Aspirant

Hi Dexter JB

Yes I have do factory reset 2 times and reconfigure after update.

When I do some changes in router I use Win10 and Edge.

Have not try with Explorer11. Next time I try to use E11

But it works properly before I update. Yesterday I have some

problem with my Samsung Smart TV to connect both 5.0Ghz channel.

It was no problem to connect 2.4GHz. After I have reboot then router then it works again.

I have 2 Asus Laptop computer, 1 Samsung smartphone, 1 Samsung Galaxy Tab4 10.1,

1 Samsung SmartTv, 1 Nokia Lumia 635, and 1 Epson PX730WD connected to the router.

All devices have the latest firmware, bios, drivers and OS installed.

So now it seems to work again.

Message 5 of 18
big_j_ny
Aspirant

So, has anyone besides the OP tested out the new FW and found any issues or bugs?

Message 6 of 18
carll76
Apprentice

I'm using this firmware (I'm a new user) I have to say it seams very stable..  QOS is brillant in my connected house (Xbox one has zero issues now)..  I have 25+ devices on line from a wifi kettle to my Surface pro 3.   Coverage / strengh is a serious step up from my old Asus N66U (which I had to support with a 2nd cheap N router upstairs via power plugs) don't need that anymore.

Slightly anoying that only one schedual can be set and it's not simple to grant access to the internet at different times / different devices (having to group IP's) (The Asus could do this very easily indeed) this is a £200+ router and some of the functionality I'm used to is missing (VPN for all devices is another thing I'll have to get used to)..(unless I'm missing something)

Having said all of that the speed of this thing outweighs the anoyances and not having to reboot every few days to keep things working is a god send.

I have the smart wifi thing turned on so my Imac and Surface sit on the 2nd 5ghz Wifi and the kids laptops on the first. 

Message 7 of 18
big_j_ny
Aspirant

Odd enough, I'm having issues with this firmware already.

3 days after I installed it, my 2nd 5GHZ wifi BAND suddenly throttles its connection whenever I'm streaming a 20-30 minute YouTube video, cutting out the video stream 10 minutes into the video.  It won't even let me re-buffer the YouTube video, and I have to restart my browser just to reconnect the stream again.

When the re-starting of my browser on YouTube is going on, my 2nd 5Ghz wifi band's "connection rate" goes from the max 866+ mbps to 526.5 mbps.

I never had that problem with the previous firmware, and I have no wifi intereference between the router and the computer I am viewing the video on.

Message 8 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @big_j_ny,

1. Does the issue happen on all wireless devices that connect to the 5GHz second band?

2. Have you tried changing the wireless channel for the second band of the 5GHz frequency?

3. Does the issue happen on other streaming services (i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc.)?

4. Have you tried enabling the Smart Connect feature? If yes, does the issue occur?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 18
big_j_ny
Aspirant

1.  Yes, since I only have 1 device in my network that can use the 5GHz band.  All the other devices in my home network are limited to only using the legacy 2.4GHz band.

2.  I have, and it appears the situation is resolved when I am in the lower middle-5G channels between the 40 and 58 channel ranges (which is on my 1st 5GHz band).  I actually checked through the free version of the inSSIDer program that I installed, and it shows that there are a ton of other wifi connections using the 5G channels from the range of 149 to 161.  It appears the 2nd 5G wifi band has become extra sensitive to interference since the firmware update, in my honest opinion.  Those higher channels were usually always congested with 2-3 extra wifi signals alongside my own, and it never interfered with my 2nd 5G wifi's connection at all.

3.  It affects all of them.

4.  Since I am more of an "advanced user," the situation I have listed in my answer to your 2nd question also applies to this question as well.

Just to note, I've also been having some "intermittent signal issues" with my own independent cable modem as well.  So it could be possible the issue is stemming from my cable modem's signal problems itself as well (my ISP is Comcast/Xfinity).

Message 10 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @big_j_ny,

For us to properly isolate the issue, please confirm the stability of the connection straight from the modem first. You may temporarily hard wire a computer to the modem and perform a continuous ping test in a time period you'd normally observe where a disconnection may occur.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 11 of 18
meshpotato
Aspirant

Just bought the R8000 and thinking to replace my crappy DLink615 wifi router. Updated the Firmware manually to 46. Followed the steps on how to set the VLAN taggin to connect to my ISP Modem (Unifi from Malaysia). Once the settings is applied and the R8000 rebooted, all the tagged ports and Wifi band would not allowed any connection. The Internet LED kept on blinking orange meaning no internet connection. Double check with ISP to confirmed my username and password on the PPPOE is correct. Only thing that works is the IPTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rAbu6v3KMA

Ok. Thinking it could be settings issue. Reset the router 3 times and redo all the setup. Still the same results.

Found an acticle on VLAN tagging (link below) and followed thru. The Internet LED turned to White after the reboot. Was thinking to myself "Thank God". Now once I connect to the router via cable or Wifi, once connection established, the entire R8000 restart by itself. This kept on happening straight 5 times.  I am using HP EliteBook 840 Notebook (Windows 7) with the latest drivers installed. I tested on iPad (iOS 9.0.2) and once connected on the Wifi, the same reboot symptom happed again as well.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25724/~/vlan-tagging-setup-for-nighthawk-router

I am at lost here. Is this a firmware issue or hardware? I am starting to regret for not going for Asus. Smiley Sad Please help.

Message 12 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @meshpotato,

It is quite difficult to tell if it is either the hardware or the firmware that is causing the reboot. I suggest performing a firmware re-flash then reset and reconfigure the router. You may refer to the links below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23960
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9665

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 13 of 18
meshpotato
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB, Thanks for the tips but as I've mentioned before, resetting the R8000 have been done a few rounds and it still doesnt work (on the  1.0.2.46_1.0.97 firmware). I've even attempted to reflashed the same firmware file again as well with reset and test again. Still the same result.

Things I have troubleshoot last night are :

I've tried to flash in R8000-V1.0.1.16-1.0.74 last night and park in all the PPPOE accounts login + the VLAN tagging. After the reboot, the Internet LED turned White. Tested surfing and ping test and all seem well. Then I proceed to click update the firmware from within the Admin page and it got flashed and reboot as it should. The White LED turned on after the reboot. Then I proceed to connect to the router via cable and then BAM!! the router restarted by itself again.

I've perform the reset again and reload back the settings and left it on for the night for the internet to work. Still monitoring. If it never hang or disconnect, I can rule out hardware issue right and point the finger at the latest firmware that is causing the problem.

Will try flashing R8000-V1.0.2.44_1.0.96 tonight and see if it is behaving the same or not. 

PS : The router when conenct as AP mode, does not have any issue. Only when it is set to PPPOE then all these crazy things happening.

Message 14 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @meshpotato,

Please keep us posted on the results.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 15 of 18
meshpotato
Aspirant

Hi @DexterJB

Flashed R8000-V1.0.2.44_1.0.96 firmware last night. Everything works as on the previous version. Everything is stable so far including the PPPOE connection and will leave it to running for another day. Will try update to the latest frimware tonight to see if it behaves the same or not. Thanks.

Message 16 of 18
glenncg
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I'm having almost the same issue. First, my router keeps restarting. Sent it back to Netgear and they said it was a hardware issue and gave me a new unit.

Upon receiving the new unit yesterday, i am unable to connect to Unifi. I followed the youtube guide for setting the PPoE and VLAN tagging, but the Internet light is still orange. 

Downloaded the latest firmware (1.0.3.4) but with the same result. Downgraded to 1.0.2.46_1.0.97, but no difference.

Any other ideas on what i should do of if im doing something wrong?

Thanks guys.

Message 17 of 18
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @glenncg,

1. Does the new unit still keep on restarting?

2. Did your PPPoE and VLAN tagging settings work before?

3. Have you tried contacting Unifi to verify if all the settings are correct?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E