Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 Firmware

IrvSp
Master

Interesting... I looked at the CHANGELOG but couldn't find the CHANGELOG.ARCHIVE to see anything past 2.43. A lot of changes were made since 2.18, but some might be meaningless as they are more for full blown usage of it than single purpose.

However it seems there are some 'security flaws' in the code fixed along the way, see https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/code-execution-flaws-threaten-users-of-router... but it is quite possible again that NG fixed those other ways.

In looking at the change log I didn't see anything that related to performance though? The CHANGELOG link.

On DD-DWRT it might not be the default? I have not put that f/w down, but THIS it looks like an option you must enable?

Still, using such old code makes me wonder why? Could be more of a case "it works so leave it be"?

Message 26 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@Case850, did you see this, https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/DnsMasq-heap-buffer-overflow-vulnerability/m..., I just saw this. R6700V2.

I have a feeling it might be the same one and probably used for all builds? The picture posted with it is not showing now when I looked, so maybe later it will appear and have the version in it?

Message 27 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

"dnsmasq-2.79" for DD-WRT

Let me do reflash Netgear's firmware (newest update) standby...

Message 28 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

"dnsmasq-2.15-OpenDNS-1" from Netgear's firmware...

Message 29 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

Sadly... Wow... I'm so shame on this Netgear... "newly firmware" is so seriously old verison!!!

Message 30 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@cat139lylebwrote:

"dnsmasq-2.79" for DD-WRT

Let me do reflash Netgear's firmware (newest update) standby...

Interesting, that one was release on Mar. 18, 2018. Seems DD-WRT keeps current. Unless one could get a build from NG with this level of code in it there is no way that I can see to determine if this is the problem or not? Reasoning is that many have no problem? I don't think the DNS would have anything to do with the speed of the service, type of connection, nor the other settings in the router? However a test build would put this to rest. Wonder if @JamesGL could make this happen as a beta? If nothing more maybe he or @ChristineT could check with engineering and find out why it never has been changed?

Message 31 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

I'm using speedtest.net but one I using servace in Baltimore, MD that's about 40 or 50 miles away where I living and I did NOT using others service because one in here is Frederick, MD will show false results so that where I living... My modem as CM1000, It is DOCSIS 3.1 plus I noticed that you using your speed test internet which not have a jitter and ping because it's won't tell you how much ms are... My ping seem mostly less than 12ms which best service we has... 

Message 32 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@cat139lylebwrote:

I'm using speedtest.net but one I using servace in Baltimore, MD that's about 40 or 50 miles away where I living and I did NOT using others service because one in here is Frederick, MD will show false results so that where I living... My modem as CM1000, It is DOCSIS 3.1 plus I noticed that you using your speed test internet which not have a jitter and ping because it's won't tell you how much ms are... My ping seem mostly less than 12ms which best service we has... 

I'm confused? Location usually doesn't matter, other than ping time usually. I still don't know which 'speedtest.net' you are using, it isn't clear to me? Not using the Internet, then are you using the Desktop Live Tile one?

Here is one using the browser, same site as the Desktop Live Tile found, http://www.speedtest.net/result/7167607593, the results are basically the same as I get from the default server it tends to use for me. The results from the default server, http://www.speedtest.net/result/7167614070, basically the same other than Ping.

Please tell me how to use the same test site you are using that shows Jitter?

Message 33 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

Oh, I forgot to tell you, that what I paid my ISP is 400Mbps D/L and 10Mbps U/L but with weird highest speed you must said because you noticed my result because I push it to max as best I can but upload seem unstable which something we can't do anything about it because I had so many times ISP's tech support come here... Also I using DNSbench too because I don't trust my own ISP's DNS... too poor taste you know? Plus I knew that if I using ISP's DNS without using DNSbench, then I'll get only less than 300Mbps at best time but worst mostly times is less than 250Mbps...

Message 34 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

It's on speedtest.net... Let me take pics of...

Message 35 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@cat139lylebwrote:

Oh, I forgot to tell you, that what I paid my ISP is 400Mbps D/L and 10Mbps U/L but with weird highest speed you must said because you noticed my result because I push it to max as best I can but upload seem unstable which something we can't do anything about it because I had so many times ISP's tech support come here... Also I using DNSbench too because I don't trust my own ISP's DNS... too poor taste you know? Plus I knew that if I using ISP's DNS without using DNSbench, then I'll get only less than 300Mbps at best time but worst mostly times is less than 250Mbps...

I've used DNSBench many times. Not since Spectrum took over Brighthouse however. I'm going to run it, but I am rebuilding the base now and it can take 1/2 an hour. It had shown either the GOOGLE DNS's or my ISP's (at the time) the fastest DNS's. I do KNOW my ISP has changed the DNS's recently. The router connection data shows this.

However DNS is just the method to translate your Internet site name (like www.speedtest.net) into the octets for its real Internet IP Address (72.21.92.82). That allows you to connect to it. After that, it is out of the circuit. Has nothing to do with Internet speed.

DNSBench will only tell you what the fastest DNS's are, it doesn't run all the time, so you can use it with anything?

I'm very confused here?

Message 36 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@cat139lylebwrote:

It's on speedtest.net... Let me take pics of...

If it is the same as I use on the Internet you can share the link like I did. Run the test and then under SHARE the first icon is a link and select that, then the first one in the list, copy that and paste it here like I did.

Also post the URL (like http://www.speedtest.net) that you used?

Message 37 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

I'm little confused over what my ISP said, last few weeks ago they told me I supposed to get 500Mbps but few days ago they told me 400Mbps... I don't know which it is true... Anyway I'm said between 500Mbps and 400Mbps because I noticed that my speeds stable at last 525Mbps but not more than that because it'll won't stable on upload so, I made my own taste for that upload is more importent than download...

My Video phone is NOT using an compress while real-time in live persons between me and the interpreters or deaf people or the meeting...
Plus that video must be stable at last less than 11ms, if more than that, it'll just static like radio in the water or too far...

I using testing by program from speedtest, I don't using that speedtest on the website but, this program has ping and jitter after test results...

http://install.speedtest.net/app/windows/latest/speedtestbyookla_x64.msi

I really pissed off at ISP and many companies don't really understand how important to deaf people who love to using video phone because we can't using our ears so we have to using our eyes to see what going on thought the internet but the ISP don't really care about upload, but they wants download to be stable whole times... I think to myself why they don't think of what deaf people really need?...
You may understand what looks like, you can go and find on websites, there have 3 or 4 VRS (Video Relay Service) we using...
www.ZVRS.com
www.SVRS.com

www.CONVORELAY.com

www.PURPLEVRS.com

They'll explain to you that internet MUST have stable all the times!!!... No matter what! Do you know why?... If internet hadn't been stable, then how deaf people able get help from service they need? For great reason explain is me, I have health problems that I need to call 911 if I having a heart attack, but if unable to get help then I'll be dead... Yes we already knew that 911 service have tracing where my call come from like GPS but won't take them to find correctly point where I am for about 10 to 20 minutes, then that'll be too late for me... You know?

I think we need make sure that upload need to be stable more than 65% or more, not less... because if less, interpreters won't able to see me...

I'm not speak of myself, I'm speak of whole deaf people, disabilities people and hard of hearing...

ISP need to stop hoard our speed for upload and yes download too...

Plus let me ask you why ISP only giving us 10Mbps always also all the times? if I asking for double of those like 20Mbps, they'll double bill, I'm paying about $65 for that, if 20Mbps, it'll be about $130... sound like RIP OFF? Yes that's right... It's been like almost 15 years... That 10Mbps never been change for long time but we notices that download been upgrade all the times... make no sense why upload not been change?

Let me math for you,

15 years ago, if we have 400Mbps or 500Mbps, that'll be over $1K or more... But I'm speak of upload, focus on that point, 15 years ago we having about 20 or 25Mbps D/L and 10Mbps U/L for just $65 like now... Also it's make no sense at all that ISP did NOT focus on upgrade on upload, why that? so I already speak to manager of ISP and they giving me their modem, yes I did tested... Those device FAILED pass for video phone devices... Plus worse ever is COMBO (Modem and router into one) That awfully idea and I will NEVER allow ISP to installing in my own home, because that device from ISP do not have settings like Netgear do or DD-WRT do... PLUS I'M PISSED OFF at them for allowing that happen to so many people... I REALLY hate to see them to suffering because unable accessing to their video phone system... For so many people do not have luck like I do... Yes I having problem with that speed down and up but NOT always because I have my knowledge, I teaching myself and take notices for good reasons... I do not believe in default setting on our routers, default is great for simple to so many people who don't have the knowledge, yes it's pain in ass... Also if they having problem with their internet, then they simple to call tech support and let them control their COMBO, which I do not allowing that happen to people who really need using their video phone because... VRS's tech support told me that COMBO or any kind come from ISP, (rent devices) that can block ports or whatever it is... My point is... What the problem with upload? Why we can't have 20Mbps or 25Mbps upload this year for cheap price, NOT right for any ISP double price if people wants 20Mbps or 25Mbps upload while 400Mbps or 500Mbps download for price really cheapest... In 5 or 6 years from now, that'll be about $30 or less for that speed... So... Can you explain this or you can't explain?...

P.S. VRS is under the FCC, it's illegal for any ISP block VRS from people who really need access to VRS, So didn't you know that? Plus if people or I find any problems with this access, ISP will be in big trouble with FCC... And yes I have to buy my own modem, VRS can giving WNDR3700v4 or R7000 with special reason for free... so few people like me who able to get R7000 because of lack access from rooms to rooms like a big house... But for me I had to buy R8000 on my money, so... Yes it's not for enjoying game or whatever but it's communicaticons really important, itself cannot block or any price for that stable, block is ILLEGAL and if it is unstable internet and ISP wants more price from any people is ILLEGAL... So... Yes I got WNDR3700v4 and R7000 for free because I'm under VRS's service... I'm hopefully you understand that ISP need to stop being idioic and stop being hoard our upload!!!

Message 38 of 42
IrvSp
Master

OK, first of all I'm sorry for your disability.

Secondly I took down that speedtest. It IS the same Live Tile that I have. It is ABSOLUTELY unreliable. I wouldn't even beleive the DOWNLOAD speed and forget about the UPLOAD speed, ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!! Use the Web Browser www.speedtest.net for TRUE readings.

Here is what I got with that app, http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/99c35fbe-8784-4599-9edb-462dae9faea0. Compare it to the ones I got with the web site in my last message to you. That Live Tile (or Modern app) is just wrong, especially if you look at it as it is testing. ALL over the place. Get rid of it and do NOT even think it is close to correct.

I just can't even see why DD-WRT would work with that program either and satisfy you? If it does then I assure you SOMETHING is wrong with DD-WRT.

Let me explain what Spectrum provides in terms of Internet Service. They provide different levels depending on your need and willingness to pay. They are ALL based on DOWNLOAD/UPLOAD. In my area they have 3 plans. 15/1Mbps, 100/10Mbps, and 300/20Mbps. You can NOT mix and match download and upload speeds. You buy the one you want. They do NOT double charge you to go from a 100/10 to 100/20 and they can't just add another 10Mbps to the upload speed.

Now they also 'over provision' speeds. That is so they don't get into trouble for selling you something and can't deliver it. What that means is that it is usually 10 to 15% higher than stated. That is why I'm usually seeing 115/11Mbps +/- all the time.

There is NO way in your testing you would see 525Mbps you reported if you had a 400Mbps line. Adding to the confusion is that in the very first message you said you have a 600Mbps line?

If you have Spectrum, which I think you said you did, check on-line at SPECTRUM.COM or go to your ISP's site that you are using and either check your account to see what you are supposed to get or look for a RATE CARD to see what is available in your area.

I'm not sure that you need that fast upload speed, I've run many things such as Skype on the 10Mbps upload without any delay, stalling, or loss of video. However, if you require faster speed, seek out other ISP vendors, ones that have fiber, those usually have the same down and up speeds.

Above ALL, do not trust that Windows app. Remeasure with the web page, that is a true indicator of what you actually have.

Message 39 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

Thank you for giving me some good info, let me look into...

Message 40 of 42
cat139lyleb
Aspirant

My question for you, I didn't see how you get 300Mbps D/L with 20Mbps because my area only 10Mbps unless it's over 700Mbps or more then I able get 20Mbps but not less, if I want same speed what I already have for 400Mbps D/L and 20Mbps... It'll be CRAZY costly me more than normally... I got good deal, $65 per monthly for that speed but only 10Mbps upload... If I want more, then it'll be double or more... That's NOT normally price... I felt like they're hoard, I'm tired of their bullsh*t... If I want 20Mbps upload then they should show me there have 200Mbps that will be same price because I take half speed off but they'll won't be $65 and they will costly more... Make NO sense to me... Why I can't have 200Mbps D/L 20Mbps upload? with just $65?

Message 41 of 42
IrvSp
Master

@cat139lylebwrote:

My question for you

No, this is a question for your ISP. No one here, not even someone in Netgear can help you with this.

I informed you WHAT I can get via Spectrum where I live. Spectrum IS my ISP. What I can get here doesn't mean you can, even IF Spectrum is your ISP. Want better, find an ISP that uses fiber that usually is the same Down and Up Mbps speed.

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7