Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 Getting speeds lower than my modem/ISP provides

Lemmywinkzz
Aspirant

R8000 Getting speeds lower than my modem/ISP provides

I've been using the Nighthawk X6 for about a year now with no complaints. However, my ISP has just increased the minimum speeds in my area to 100/mbps. I was paying for 60/mbps and the router was achieving that just fine. Running speed tests I've been getting around 60-65/mbps download. I'm still getting this same speed even after my ISP has increased the minimum. I've tested running the ethernet straight from the modem(ARRIS Surfboard SB6190) to my PC and I'm getting speeds around 110-120/mbps. So the problem lies within the router somewhere. I'm not extremely tech saavy when it comes to networking but my firmware is completely upgraded. I'm trying to avoid paying $50-100 for Netgear support, since my warranty is up. If anyone can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
(I've also tested the speed using wifi and its getting the same 60-65/mbps)

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
SmallTrader
Apprentice

I personally do not use Dynamic QoS so can't comment. However, from what I am reading on this forum, NetGear's implementation of QoS is a bit of hit and miss and exacerbated by the poor quality firmwares.

One thing I do know is V1.0.4.* firmware are very buggy and unstable. You can search this forum to see for yourself what other people are saying about V1.0.4.*  A user TerryPh has tested V1.0.4.12 and it is still buggy. NetGear does not seem to care despite many complaints from forum users.

Personally I have been burnt too many time trying new version of firmwares. The last known good version as reported by many people on this forum is V1.0.3.54 . For me, life is too short keep trying buggy firmware, I had downgraded to V1.0.3.54 myself after trying a couple of V1.0.4.* firmware. You have to make your own decision.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Your problem could be HW related but more likely firmware related. What is the version of the firmware that you are using on the R8000?

All versions of 1.0.4.* firmware for R8000 appear to have serious performance and stability issues which have dragging on for months with NetGear keeps repeating the bugs.

The last known stable version is V 1.0.3.54 and that might be your best bet if you want to try.

Message 2 of 6
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Your problem could be HW related but more likely firmware related. What is the version of the firmware that you are using on the R8000? All versions of 1.0.4.* firmware for R8000 appear to have serious performance and stability issues which have dragging on for months with NetGear keeps repeating the bugs. The last known stable version is V 1.0.3.54 and that might be your best bet if you want to try.
Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
Lemmywinkzz
Aspirant

I don't think its a hardware problem. I've tested this on 3 computers, they all come up the same. When they are connected through the router I get about 60/mbps (down) and when they're connected directly to the modem I get between 110-120/mbps (down). I ended up disabling "Dynamic QoS" and now I'm getting 110-120/mbps (down) while connecting through the router. Which confused me because when I was running speed tests with my PC into the router I made sure no other devices were connected. I'm not sure if that helps or if that truly "solves" my problem. Also, I'm currently on the most recent firmware (V1.0.4.12). Do you suggest that I revert it back to 1.0.3.54 and see what my speeds are with Dynamic QoS on and off? Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 6
SmallTrader
Apprentice

I personally do not use Dynamic QoS so can't comment. However, from what I am reading on this forum, NetGear's implementation of QoS is a bit of hit and miss and exacerbated by the poor quality firmwares.

One thing I do know is V1.0.4.* firmware are very buggy and unstable. You can search this forum to see for yourself what other people are saying about V1.0.4.*  A user TerryPh has tested V1.0.4.12 and it is still buggy. NetGear does not seem to care despite many complaints from forum users.

Personally I have been burnt too many time trying new version of firmwares. The last known good version as reported by many people on this forum is V1.0.3.54 . For me, life is too short keep trying buggy firmware, I had downgraded to V1.0.3.54 myself after trying a couple of V1.0.4.* firmware. You have to make your own decision.

Message 5 of 6
Lemmywinkzz
Aspirant

Well that's good enough for me, hah. Awesome. Appreciate the help. I'm glad I got this sorted out, the Netgear customer service rep wanted me to buy the "Technical Support" package to help me troubleshoot this problem. It would've costed between $50-100 for something that took me maybe 10 minutes of looking around on forums and whatnot. Dodged that bullet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7