Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 I want to define my Internet Bandwidth

Retired_Member
Not applicable

R8000 I want to define my Internet Bandwidth

Hello,

how to change the setting Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth into I want to define my Internet Bandwidth?

I select the second option, input the upload and download Mbps speeds and click on Apply. A save bar is showing progress, when the screen reloads the option Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth is still active.

Any idea how to save this option or it is a bug in the firmware? If its a bug how to report it? Thank you!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: R8000 I want to define my Internet Bandwidth

Its not the browser, I tried Safari macOS and iOS, IE11 and Chrome on Win10.

I will close this as nowbody knows the solution, other cannot read and are just curious and from Netgear I dont expect nothing.

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 22

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

This setting is not a limiter for max bandwidth allowed through the router - it's used as a base for the QoS calculations only. As such, it can't be used to connect e.g. multiple routers to the same Internet connection (ISP permitting), and share the bandwidth unblocking.

Message 2 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Schumaku,

I have the QoS switched off and I want, for various reasons, to get rid of Ookla from my router. I don't understand the second part of your advice as I have only one router.

So what is the purpose of the Speedtest is irelevant in my case, my valid question is how to switch it off i.e. how to save the speeds defined by myself.

Message 3 of 22

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have the QoS switched off and I want, for various reasons, to get rid of Ookla from my router.

I don't understand the problem. Ookla has installed nothing on your router beyond a link to Speedtest.

You cannot "get rid of Ookla". If QoS is disabled, just ignore Ookla.

If you have QoS disabled, then there is no point in trying to define your own bandwidth.

Perhaps you could explain what you are really trying to do and see if anyone has suggestions as to how you can go about it.

Message 4 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"Perhaps you could explain what you are really trying to do..."

Again, I'm looking for a solution to switch off Speedtest!

Message 5 of 22

@Retired_Member wrote:

Why?

Message 6 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Well, that's not what you asked initially, isn't it?

The Ookla Speedtest is only called and run every time you click on it. No need to switch off - just keep your mouse off the button. There is no kind of ongoing background speedtesting.

You can always define your the up- and downlink speed for the QoS calculations. Again - this data is used QoS calculations - it's not as a hard speed/bandwidth limitation to be applied by the router.

What's the point? Is there no "I want to define..." option on your router model?

If it does not stick it might be a bug on your router model, or your router config is corrupted and might require a factory reset.

What firmware are we facing here on your R8000?

QoS bandwidth.PNG

Message 7 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

"Well, that's not what you asked initially, isn't it?"

Yes, innitially I asked I want to define my Internet Bandwidth, the alternative formulation would be Switch off Speedtest, becouse you can have only one of two mentioned options.

Message 8 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Many other open questions.

Might be potentially a browser issue - not aware the simple Nighthawk router Web UI does bring lots of challenges, worth trying an alternate browser, drop the browser cache, think about Internet security packages probably interfering with the Web traffic which might interfere the UI JavaScript somehow.

Message 9 of 22

I am still not convinced that we have got the the bottom of the "why" question.

The page that seems to fixate @Retired_Member is all about settings for QoS.

But another message from @Retired_Member says that they have turned off QoS.

That page, the one with the Speedtest link, is redundant if you are not using QoS.

So, back to the first question, forget about the QoS page, what does @Retired_Member really want to achieve?

Message 10 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward  read the OPs original post again

@Retired_Member wrote:

I select the second option, input the upload and download Mbps speeds and click on Apply. A save bar is showing progress, when the screen reloads the option Let Speedtest detect my Internet bandwidth is still active.

The way I read this I understand that the manual settings are not applied, the router does fall-back to the speed test.

Message 11 of 22

That first message just describes a symptom. We still do not know what @Retired_Member wants to achieve, only that something goes wrong.

Is the idea to tweak QoS? Something else?

I try not to interpret what people say. I am more interested in getting down to the basics.

Tell us what the underlying problem is, not where you think things are going wrong, and then someone might be able to home in on solutions.

Message 12 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Nothing to tweak on QoS - simply apply user defined up- and downlink speeds to the QoS settings.

Message 13 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Dear Michael,

please reread my initial posting. Word by Word!

Why is not important.

Message 14 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member  have a complete different Web browser - like one one a mobile phone or tablet - available to test and compare?

Message 15 of 22
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I will close this as nowbody knows the solution, other cannot read and are just curious and from Netgear I dont expect nothing.

Message 16 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Well possible a bug, as you initially suspected - strange no other reports in the community. @Christian_R food for Netgear's PQA and the bug army.

A possible solution would be using the current or some older firmware ... but you keep many more required information a secret, so blame yourself, too. That's not the way communtiy help should work.

PS. Have seen another community member showing the same QoS form (on a R7000) - without the two input fields .... Netgear consumer formware departement isn't at it's best performance for a while.

Message 17 of 22

@Retired_Member 

The QoS feature has two settings.  On or off.  The subsettings only become "active" if the feature is enabled.  If its not turned on, then the (radio) button options below do not do anything or apply.  

"Let SpeedTest Detect"...

or

"I want to define"...

Please stop looking for or trying to define an option in a feature which is not enabled. 

I'm basing that from this comment:

"Schumaku,

I have the QoS switched off and I want, for various reasons, to get rid of Ookla from my router."

valdo.png 

QoS is nothing but trouble.  Poorly implemented and disfunctional.

Message 18 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@shadowsports  all due respect - please exaclty red the OPs inital post. He _did_ try to tick the manual definition, entered bandwidth numbers, and did find ... after some time to apply ... that the setting isn't in place, it fail-back the speed test ticked instead.

Message 19 of 22

@schumaku ...  Thanks.  I saw it and you're right. 

It's just not worth the time.  If its a bug, netgear isn't going to fix it.  Not in our lifetime anyway. 

@Valdo, you are now armed with our recommendations.  Mine, don't use QoS.

@schumaku anf @michaelkenward 's try using a differnt browser, resetting and reconfiguring or using a different FW.

I've done extensive testing with QoS..  once enabled or if a speed test is performed, the settings "stick" even if you disable them later.  You actually have to reflash to get the original database and/or no speedtest results.  Nothing but a headache. Buggy for sure.

Message 20 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@shadowsports wrote:

@schumaku anf @michaelkenward 's try using a differnt browser, ...

We can mark this - already done (three different OS, various browsers, ...) - always assuming there is no Internet Security system deployed to ll these systems, or there is no in-line device (like a proxy, security appliance, ..) potentially interfering.

Message 21 of 22

@shadowsports wrote:

@Valdo, you are now armed with our recommendations.  Mine, don't use QoS.

Especially as we have no idea why @Retired_Member wants to use QoS.

Simply repeating the same thing over and over again adds nothing to the explanation.

QoS looks like a dying technology, swept away by rising Internet speeds. At one stage the recommendation, from Netgear and others, was that for people on Gb Internet QoS not only achieves nothing it slows down things as the router performs its magic.

Since then I have see suggestions that QoS is of little value over 300 Mbps.

So, as always, I go back to basics. Is this someone fiddling with QoS "because it is there" or someone who sees congestion or issues with playing games on line?

If the latter, it is possible that something else is getting in the way, and that QoS will achieve nothing.

Serious gamers can always opt for something like the XR500 or another box in the gaming router series that supports DumaOS. These deploy techniques that are way beyond anything that you will get with simple QoS.

I have just noticed that we don't actually know which firmware @Retired_Member has on the R8000. AS far as I can see, we never did get an answer when @schumaku posed that question. Kind of basic information when someone wants to know about possible firmware bugs. Maybe newer firmware fixed it, or it isn't there in an older version. Who knows?

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7