Re: R8000 Newest Firmware Update Version 1.0.4.12

TerryPh
Virtuoso

R8000 Newest Firmware Update Version 1.0.4.12

Hello all.

Netgear has just put out a new firmware update for R8000 model today Febuary 2, 2018. it is version 1.0.4.12 

Please post updated results for this new FW, if you please help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 30
Dfrausto
Aspirant

I just did the latest firmware upgrade and for some reason my WiFi speed has dropped from 200Mbps to 40Mbps. I’ve tried restarting the router and resetting it from the app and nothing seems to help.
Message 2 of 30
TerryPh
Virtuoso

I just flashed to the new FW with no resetting. Presently about 5 minutes after, the router functions fine, ie. internet connection, internet speed,

wired and wireless connection, USB drives accessibilities, with Cirlcle parental control on, QoS is on, DLNA is turned on.

So far it is stable, but we will not know at least for another hour or so.

Incidentally, I have been testing this fw for about one week or more with some suggested setting/limitation without any problems. Hope they fix it well this time.

Will update in 2 hours

Message 3 of 30
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Dfrausto.

Hi. My humble suggest is to try to really do hard restting the router by ways of 30-30-30 method. While doing so, also reset the modem by power off/on ( if it has backup battery, remove/reinstall it before powering modem on)

Wait for 5 minutes (this seems to be the longest waitSmiley Happy) then attache any USB devices to the router.

You can then go to router GUI and do the setup, if you like

See how it works. I just have to cress my fingers at this point. 

Message 4 of 30
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Updated. 

The router failed after 10 minutes, as I expected.

To save times, I would suggest this crutial step:

Disable DLNA service through Advance Tab/USB Functions/Media Server.

This will stabilize trhe router.

Worst case, reverse it back to 1.0.3.54 if you still want DLNA on for your device(s)

Best

Message 5 of 30
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for the update . I am sure your update will help people making up their own mind on whether to update or not.

Personally,  I have been burnt too many times by Netgear poor quality firmware to contemplate trying again.I have serious doubt about Netgear's duty of care when it comes to regression testing and releasing stable firmware.

My router is "production" version for my home and I can't afford down time.

Message 6 of 30
copperavery
Tutor

I was having network issues so called isp...Spectrum...two techs came out, after 1.5 hours, had reset my modem and router R8000

@ least  a dozen times apiece, replaced modem, added splitter (signal too high.....11.4 dbms.....) found a choke out by the road,

and then updated router to latest firmware. The firmware update is or was supposed to fix the notrious slow WIRED speed thru the router, which of course, it did not. My speed is around 100mb on computer plugged into modem. Same cable, plugged into R8000 and the speed drops to 30-40 mb. It's always been this wa since I got the router. I have no issues with the wireless part, just the "Through" ethernet connection. With no real support...or at least without paying..how the hell does NEtgear stay in business? We just keep buying this crap and throwing it away, making them $. Do they not have anyone that can code? Do they care? seems not. I'm gonna unload this router and get something that works, or something that at least has a person to talk to with any problems..that come up. two years just too long for a known problerm to be ignored. Oh, yes, I have tried every cure I can find...nothing has helped.

Message 7 of 30
copperavery
Tutor

I did it today. I swapped out the POS R8000 for another router. After set up, I get good coverage on wifi, but best of all, I get same speed plugged into the router as I do plugged into the modem!! I just can't fathom why Netgear allows this to happen on an expensive router, like the R8000 nighthawk. Hopefulloy I can sell it on EBay for a few bucks.

Message 8 of 30
SmallTrader
Apprentice

Hi Copperavery,

Completely understand your frustration. What I don't udnerstand is NetGear HW is actually pretty good. However, its firmwares are the worst I have come across among the major players that I come across Asus, LinkSys, Cisco and TP-Link. As we all know, good hardware with bad firmware = bad router.

I think NetGear is going to lose a lot of customers along the way. Not sure what is the channel to higher management as complaining on this forum has zero effect.

Message 9 of 30
Whiteghost
Aspirant

Terry,

I just regressed my router 1.0.3.54 also, I had the 1.0.4.12 for about a week prior and I kept needing to do a complete power down /up to regain connection.  I have only had my router for about 3 weeks and I am not happy.

Thanks for your info.

WG

Message 10 of 30
Whiteghost
Aspirant

TerryPH,

I regressed my router to the 1.0.3.54 about 3 weeks ago and within 24 hours the router froze and my internet went down again. I do have a WD 2 TB drive connected to it using DLNA. Most of my issues seemed to be connecting to the 5g wireless. I had enabled the "smart connect"  option for seamless wifi to the two radios.  I disabled the "smart connect" and left the ID's the same with different channels selected manually. This has solved the connection and router freeze issue I was having. After about a week of stable conditions, I ventured to update the firmware back to the current 1.0.4.12 ver.  so far no issues.  It is now 2 weeks stable with the latest firmware. 

WG

Message 11 of 30
sxwils
Aspirant

I also was hit with ethernet connection throttling with this latest firmware update.  I updated my R8000 to 1.0.4.12 a few days ago and didn't notice until yesterday that all wired traffic through it was being throttled to under 5Mbps while all wireless traffic was running at full ISP connection speed (over 40Mbps).  Most of my speed sensitive devices (mainly streaming) are connected via wifi so I didn't notice the problem immediately.  After lots of troubleshooting of slow speed test results via wired computers, it was a chance speed test via a wifi laptop that revealed full expected speed.  I'm not using DLNA.

Reflashing the router with 1.0.4.2 restored full bandwidth of the ethernet connections.  Reapplying 1.0.4.12 (for giggles) again resulted in the ethernet throttling so back to 1.0.1.2 version I went again and will stay until another firmware update is posted.  I'll have to live with the security vulnerability that 1.0.4.12 fixed for now.

Message 12 of 30
Drew182
Aspirant

Hi Everyone,

My wifi speed is testing at 250 Mbps when I am connected directly to the router. That is a great speed that I am satisfied with. However, when I am connected through a 2.4 ghz connection I am only testing at 50 Mbps. I understand that 2.4 Ghz is slower than 5 Ghz. Here is where the problem comes in. After a complete arbitrary period of time, when I click on the advanced home tab it shows that the speed mode is set to up to 289 Mbps under the wireless settings for the 2.4 Ghz connection even though I have selected the up to 600 Mbps on the wireless settings screen. When I test the connection wirelessly it only comes in at 50 Mbps and when the setting is on up to 600 Mbps, it comes in at about 100 Mbps. I can't stop it from automatically changing it back and forth from the speed modes unless I turn the guest network on and off. That is literally the only way I can get the setting to change and then it changes it back anyway. I have the QOS service off. I am testing right next to the router. This is obviously some sort of a software issue. Anyone else noticing this?

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What device are you using to speed test the wifi? Some devices may not support high speed testing and give there max limit.

However, what security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only. 

Try manual channel 1, 6 or 11. Any other wifi neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Is smart connect enabled? 

Try disbling any beamforming and MIMO features to test. 

@Drew182wrote:

Hi Everyone,

My wifi speed is testing at 250 Mbps when I am connected directly to the router. That is a great speed that I am satisfied with. However, when I am connected through a 2.4 ghz connection I am only testing at 50 Mbps. I understand that 2.4 Ghz is slower than 5 Ghz. Here is where the problem comes in. After a complete arbitrary period of time, when I click on the advanced home tab it shows that the speed mode is set to up to 289 Mbps under the wireless settings for the 2.4 Ghz connection even though I have selected the up to 600 Mbps on the wireless settings screen. When I test the connection wirelessly it only comes in at 50 Mbps and when the setting is on up to 600 Mbps, it comes in at about 100 Mbps. I can't stop it from automatically changing it back and forth from the speed modes unless I turn the guest network on and off. That is literally the only way I can get the setting to change and then it changes it back anyway. I have the QOS service off. I am testing right next to the router. This is obviously some sort of a software issue. Anyone else noticing this?

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.2.1(LAG Disabled)>RBK853 v3.2.18.223/SRK30 V3.2.33.106)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK50, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450(v2.3.2.120) and WNHDE111
Message 14 of 30
Drew182
Aspirant

Hi,

I have used several different sites and devices to test the speed. However, the test server or device have nothing to do with this because I can turn guest network on and off and the speed doubles in an instant regardless of the test server. I have tried every channel there is to try. I have disabled smart connect and beamforming. No change. The main question is why is it that my speed doubles when I turn guest network on and off consecutively which then enables the up to 600 Mbps mode? It changes from that mode on its own at random intervals.
Message 15 of 30
Hawky
Aspirant

If I remember last updated messed up everything my 2Ghz was playing up would not connect at all to ps3 and bad signal, would work some devices when it wanted to went back to previous firmware which worked fine since but now this update but other problems would remain? Or new problems?

Should of returned this pos, bought last year what are chances of refund bought frm Amazon would I need contacting Netgear direct?
Message 16 of 30
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@Hawky

Hang in there. Hopefully the nightmare will be over in few weeks.

Message 17 of 30
hayesjl77
Aspirant

Any chance the broken 2.4 channel will be fixed soon? Opened a ticket sent emails no reply still broke. Love my router but 5 months with half of it working and no reply from netgear Im starting to look for a replacement.

Message 18 of 30
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Hayesjl77

PM me your case number and I will escalate the issue and have someone reach out to you about the case.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 30
myersw
Master

@TerryPh wrote:

Hello all.

Netgear has just put out a new firmware update for R8000 model today Febuary 2, 2018. it is version 1.0.4.12 

Please post updated results for this new FW, if you please help.

So what are your issues????

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 20 of 30
hayesjl77
Aspirant

after updating to 1.0.4.12 nothing can connect to 2.4 everything gives an error. 

Message 21 of 30
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@hayesjl77

I think the newest firmware for R8000 is 1.0.4.18 not 1.0.4.12.

Can you check?

Message 22 of 30
myersw
Master

I see .18 as the latest. Don't really care just checking.  The r7800 with LEDE just purrs along. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 23 of 30
fegarciaii
Tutor

I've had good luck with 1.0.4.12....  1.0.4.18 on the other hand has given me tons of problems.  So I downgraded back to ...12.  I try 18 every so often, but still have the same problems.  Mostly "wifi by schedule" stops working on 18 for me.

Message 24 of 30
hayesjl77
Aspirant

Im currently running V1.0.3.26_1.1.18 When I run the auto update I am assuming its doing the newest available for the r8000 5Gha works great 2.4 shows visible but nothign can connect. Wouldnt be a problem but alot of thins still use 2.4 and some of the TV and consoles I have cant use 5ghz, 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements