Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Nighthawk AC3200 Slow Wifi Speed

toicy4ya
Follower

R8000 Nighthawk AC3200 Slow Wifi Speed

Hi guys,

I need some advice. I currently have Frontier internet service 500/500M. I have a Nighthawk AC3200 connected via ethernet to frontier’s Arris NVG468MQ router. (The reason I have the Nighthawk AC3200 connected to the Arris router is because of a location issue at home).

For the last couple of weeks I have been getting really slow wifi speeds on the Nighthawk AC3200, about 40-50MBS. Previously I was getting over 300MBS. I updated the firmware, rebooted the router and also tried unplugging and replugging it. Unfortunately, there was no difference in speed. I checked the Arris router and it’s giving good speeds via ethernet and wifi.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on how I may be able to resolve this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R8000 Nighthawk AC3200 Slow Wifi Speed

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in router here by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 2 of 5

@toicy4ya wrote:

I need some advice. I currently have Frontier internet service 500/500M. I have a Nighthawk AC3200 connected via ethernet to frontier’s Arris NVG468MQ router. (The reason I have the Nighthawk AC3200 connected to the Arris router is because of a location issue at home).

That's a "gateway" (modem router). So you are piling router on router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

How to fix issues with Double NAT | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then this:

arris nvg468mq router bridge mode - Google Search

Message 3 of 5
ialexawan
Aspirant

Glad to hear you got it resolved. You can disable automatic updates (I'd recommend it for the time being) and wait to see how the next updates comes. Yours isn't the only device having slowed speeds/issues since Armor was added. if you mark it as resolved, it'll help the next person with this issue

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@toicy4ya wrote:

Hi guys,

For the last couple of weeks I have been getting really slow wifi speeds on the Nighthawk AC3200, about 40-50MBS. Previously I was getting over 300MBS. I updated the firmware, rebooted the router and also tried unplugging and replugging it. Unfortunately, there was no difference in speed. I checked the Arris router and it’s giving good speeds via ethernet and wifi.

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on how I may be able to resolve this?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7