Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 kicks off all devices every few hours

Dheeraj1
Aspirant

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 kicks off all devices every few hours

Hi all,

For the past few months, my router has periodically (every few hours) been kicking out all the devices connected to it. While some devices, especially phones, connect back almost instantly, others, especially PCs, take far longer (up to an hour) to reconnect. When I try to connect back, the devices that refuse to connect back say "Unable to connect to network" but the router still shows up on the list of available wifi networks to connect to. Then randomly after some time of constantly trying to connect to the network, it reconnects and all is fine until after a few more hours (or minutes) the exact same thing happens.

Restarting devices and turning wifi off and on does not let the devices connect back to the network (they still say "Unable to connect to the network). Factory resetting the router didn't help. Also, this didn't use to happen when I just had my Virgin Media router on its own.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Model: R8000 Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band

Firmware version: V1.0.4.62_10.1.74 (latest)

Thanks, 

Dheeraj

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 kicks off all devices every few hours

I haven't been a fan of the firmware on the R8000 since they added in netgear armor. 

I'd recommend dropping back to version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. After downgrading, factory reset the router and do a clean install (not from a backup). Disable auto-updates after that. 

See how it performs like that. 

Message 2 of 6
Dheeraj1
Aspirant

I tried downgrading the firmware version but it didn't fix the problem. In fact, it seems the problem was made worse as more devices are taking longer to reconnect.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway do you have? 

Did you do a reset and clean install after downgrading? 

Message 4 of 6
Dheeraj1
Aspirant

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3 as my modem. 

After the downgrade, I factory reset the router using the hole at the back of the router. Is that what you mean by clean install?

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Clean install is just making sure not to restore from backup configuration. 

The virgin home hub has its own integrated router which can cause a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

And those hubs are a pita to get function properly in passthrough mode. 

What I'd try? is just putting the R8000 in access point mode. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7