Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 only gets half internet speed

AlanD96
Tutor

R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 only gets half internet speed

I was set up with Comcast Gigabit service earlier this week and all was fine, a solid 950 Mpbs. speed using Ethernet.   Then suddenly the next day, my speed dropped to about 400Mpbs.  I thought the problem was with Comcast until a day later I plugged the modem directly into my computer, the speed was back to 950!   I reconncted the NIghthawk,  speed dropped back again.  After rebooting the modem a few times with no success, I reset it back to factory state.  It was PERFECT,  until the next day when I was back to half speed.   QoS is not enabled and I've tried replacing the Ethernet cords even though Comcast gave me all new ones.  It doesn't seem to be a setting on the router since each time it worked fine for hours after factory reset, then suddenly the next day it dropped.  Should I call Comcast for a new Nighthawk?   Has anything like this been reported before???   

Thanks for any help!

-Alan

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
AlanD96
Tutor

Re: R8000 Nighthawk X6 AC3200 only gets half internet speed

No one answered my question but I figured out the answer to the problem myself and thought it would be helpful to someone receiving this router for gigabit speeds.

I discovered by trial and error that when I ENABLED the traffic meter, which is OFF by default, THAT is when my speed dropped from 940 Mpbs. down to 400 or so.   As soon as I turned it off, my speed went back to normal.  

Who'd have thought?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
AlanD96
Tutor

Also, the half speed apparently is only using IPv4.   Using the Comcast speed test, the IPv6 speed is always around 950 Mpbs.

Message 2 of 4
AlanD96
Tutor

No one answered my question but I figured out the answer to the problem myself and thought it would be helpful to someone receiving this router for gigabit speeds.

I discovered by trial and error that when I ENABLED the traffic meter, which is OFF by default, THAT is when my speed dropped from 940 Mpbs. down to 400 or so.   As soon as I turned it off, my speed went back to normal.  

Who'd have thought?

Message 3 of 4
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I was trying to find the actual answer when you posted 

At higher speeds the CPU cannot support options and high speeds so it slows the speed of the router. There are other post on this but I can't remember the exact answer.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7