R8000 Prioritizes Gaming OR Streaming Media - But Not Both

tde5
Guide

R8000 Prioritizes Gaming OR Streaming Media - But Not Both

Hello,

I have the Nighthawk R8000 router and my internet is 300/20. I have a Roku3 and an Xbox One, both plugged into the router (via ethernet cables). They are only a few feet from each other, with the router in between. We also have numerous wireless devices connected to both 2.4 and 5ghz bands throughout the house.

My problem is that I cannot get both ethernet devices to run smoothly at the same time. Plex/Netflix (non-4k media) with the Roku will stop to buffer while Xbox games run smoothly, but if I switch up the settings in the router, the media will stream without issue and it's the Xbox experiencing lag.

I do not have QoS enabled as it slowed EVERYTHING down and didn't help.

What are the best settings to get the best performance out of both devices?

Thank you in advance.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
tde5
Guide

Re: R8000 Prioritizes Gaming OR Streaming Media - But Not Both

V1.0.4.4_1.1.42

There is a firmware update, but I had to rollback to this version because the update kept dropping my wireless bands and I was rebooting the router daily to get them back.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 7
tde5
Guide

For the R8000?

Not according to my router it isn't. See image.
Message 3 of 7
tde5
Guide

I have enabled and disabled QoS, toggled the settings on/off in Advanced > Setup > WAN setup, reserved the IP addresses for the affected devices, enabled port forwarding and listed ports supposedly to help with the affected devices, uPnP is on, WMM enabled...
Message 4 of 7
tde5
Guide

So you're saying my router is pushing me unstable and/or beta versions? I'm not a beta tester. I'm also not running custom firmware.

Why would Netgear email me firmware notifications and have a notification in my router settings asking me to update the firmware if it wasn't thoroughly tested prior to release...or at least inform me that the updates are not stable?
Message 5 of 7
tde5
Guide

That support page https://www.netgear.com/support/download/ is showing me ONLY the release Firmware Version 1.0.4.12.

I think you're referring to a different router. If not, there's no way for a customer to know what the latest "stable" firmware version is if Netgear keeps rolling out updates without specifying "beta", "stable", etc.

Where is the support page that differentiates a beta firmware rollout from a stable one? Whenever I get the notification of new firmware, it is not accompanied by a memo stating what kind of release it is.
Message 6 of 7
tde5
Guide

I had no idea Netgear was such a hot mess. For a $300+ dollar router, I expect high level performance, quality control, and no headaches. I don't feel like this is a lot to ask. How disappointing. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements