Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 QOS Performance Optimization Database Not Updating

R8000 QOS Performance Optimization Database Not Updating

Hello,

Whenever I try to update the Performance Optimization Database in the QoS, it says that it hasn't been updated, despite it from the end of 2015 (version 1.80,1.0.26 from 12/28/2015). My router has the most recent firmware update available, as shown in the picture. I had it set to automatically update before, so I didn't think about it too much. I updated my parents' R7000 to a newer firmware, and after I checked their QoS settings. They already had a newer version on the database, and when I hit the update button, their router was offered and even newer version (unfortunately, I don't have that version date or number notated).
I started to research my issue when I came accross another thread about the same thing ( https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8000-QOS-how-do-you-set-new-applications/m-... ) and the official response from @ElaineM was that "We will be providing regular updates on the QoS database on our routers with Dynamic QoS" and "We will inform the community if it becomes available" on April 6th. I can't find any more recent info on this problem.

Is the R8000 getting any more QoS Performance Optimization Database updates? Why is it currently not pulling down the current updates? When can we expect a solution to this issue?

I love this router to an unreasonable degree (it helped me fix most of my network issues, has amazing Wi-Fi range, and very rarely needs any tinkering or reboots if any issues do arise), and would like to keep all aspects of it updated.

Thank you for your help.Screenshot_20170824-024113.jpg

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

QoS database will be updated in upcoming firmware release.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 31

All Replies

Can I please get some help?

Message 2 of 31
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @VenezuelaDan

We do not have a timeline as to when it will be updated but as of this writing there's no updated version of the QoS database.

Message 3 of 31

@ElaineM, thank you for replying to my question.

I was able to get a picture of my parent's router QoS Setup screen. Their R7000 has a much newer Performance Optimization Database, with a release date of 2017/07/23 (please see attached picture). What I don't understand is why their lower-end router (don't get me wrong, it's a very capable router, which I gave them to solve *their* network and wireless issues) has a newer QoS Performance Optimization Database than the higher-end router that used to be the top of the line router when they were both available.

R7000 QoS Database VersionR7000 QoS Database Version
It just seems odd. I don't know how much of a difference there would have to be between the QoS Performance Optimization Database between the R7000 & R8000, but it's odd that one is being updated fairly regularly it looks like, while the other has been languishing for longer than a year and a half.

Please advise on this, I would appreciate any insight you could give me.

Thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 31

Any updates would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 31
CyberTri
Apprentice

They are ignoring this issue. Same here for me. Same issue. Same model. They took forever to get a working version of the QOS on their flagship X10 (R9000) and even then, from what I understand, Netgear QOS doesnt restrain or lower traffic to the devices listed as lower priority during heavy loads, instead it practically severs that data continuously, then floods the highest device with way more bandwidth than mostly needed continiously. What kind a fake QOS is that?

If this is wrong I retract, but it is bizarre how a company this big can throw devices into the market unprepared for prime time (as a flagship with NO QOS) then ignore a recent previous flagship, and somehow update a model (x4,x6) from years ago instead.

Seems to me if we want premium options and real service we have to buy a R9000 (x10)... or just leave Netgear for Asus. I'm getting tired of them not really caring about the customers. Just about sales.
Message 6 of 31
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Our engineers will be releasing an updated QoS database soon.

There's no ETA but we will definitely inform the community once it's out.

Message 7 of 31

Thank you for your help on this.

Message 8 of 31
CyberTri
Apprentice

How did this help us "There's no ETA but we will definitely inform the community once it's out." ?

It's a 2 year old database and the older devices have updated versions? That makes no sense. This reply is the same as

"We have no idea why nor do we know when we will correct it. Please move along"

I'm shocked they even bothered to reply at all.
Message 9 of 31
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully, it will be released soon. 

Message 10 of 31
Moomdog
Initiate

I'm currently experiencing the same issues with mine. I feel like we deserve some type of time table with when or IF we'll ever be receiving support for this issue, and the reasoning if you won't be.. I need a new router because this is so archaic and flimsy to begin with, I can smoothly use the internet with the amount of devices I have that only get metered from the standards of Low, Medium, High, Highest.. That's so broad and inefficient. I apologize for my harsh tone, but I spent a good amount of money on a router I thought would have some kind of longevity in competitive performance, or at least optimization, but updates seem scarce from public opininon, and information very general and unfulfilling. 

Message 11 of 31
WKay
Initiate

It is embarrasing that the so-called Dynamic QOS Optimization DataBase has not been updated AT ALL for TWO YEARS!!  This shows a massive lack of engineering support for a very expensive WiFi Router and a mistake on my part for purchasing it.  If Netgear wants to be a reputable industry leader for the consumer WiFi market, funding MUST be allocated for Netgear engineering services to maintain the daily operational effectiveness in the world of streaming video, etc.  I am very disappointed in my purchase due to the lack of Netgear engineering support.

Netgear.JPG

Message 12 of 31

Are there any updates on this issue? Trying to get some resolution to my original post from 8/24/2017.

Thank you for your help.

Message 13 of 31
Kneelb4z0d
Aspirant

yep same here....

wish i hadnt bought the stupid thing.

for some reason plex has no priority over anything so i get continual buffering when my kids are watching youtube or netflix.. its a joke the only way i can stop the buffering is to manually log in to the router and block all the other devices from the internet.

i have all of the kids devices set to lowest priority and my devices set to maximum but the database doesnt include plex so even there low priority device trumps my high priorty device its stupid

i only got this router for the bandwidth control for that exact reason.. works perfectly if im watching netflix or amazon prime because there in the stupid database

Message 14 of 31
MatthewF
Initiate

Also struggling with this. Very disappointed.
Message 15 of 31

Can we please get an update on this issue? I'm actually now running into some problems I believe are QoS related (turned off QoS and it alleviated the issues).

If you're not going to update it, please let us know so I can get a new router. Thank you.

Message 16 of 31
CyberTri
Apprentice

Agreed. Selling devices that you immedietly ignore is the same as stealing from people. Fix the problem... update the database.
Message 17 of 31
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

QoS database will be updated in upcoming firmware release.

Message 18 of 31
JamesGL
Master

Hi Case850,

If you have  a D7800 device, please post your issues or concerns to the right board.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Message 19 of 31

@JamesGL,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the feedback, and am looking forward to having this issue resolved. 

Thank you and the Netgear engineers for your help and time.

Message 20 of 31

@JamesGL@ElaineM

Thank you again for your help on this issue. Will QoS databse updates after the firmware update be tied to FW updates, or will they be independently updateable?

Also, is there an estimate to when the next firmware update will come out?

Thank you for your time.

Message 21 of 31
TitanArchon
Aspirant

Came to the Nighthawk from an old Asus. What a change. Your firmware is garbage and this database issue just highlights just how careless you are with your customers and this space. I am returning this R8000 to the retailer and purchasing another Asus. If you all want to have a better experience, buy a different brand. This interface is from the early 2000's and its functionality is in the same boat.

Never again,

Unsatisfied Customer

Message 22 of 31
CyberTri
Apprentice

I'm with you. No https, database on recent devices totally ignored for QoS, and I'm not even sure they released a Krack patch firmware yet.

I'm shopping Asus high end models at this point. So sad for Netgear. Could be a great company but they just want sales.

Message 23 of 31

@JamesGL & @ElaineM,

Would it be possible to get and update to my 1/16 questions? I'd like to know if QoS databases after the next firmware update will arrive independently of updates (as initially intended).

Also, any word on when the next firmware update is to be released?

Looking forward to having this QoS issue solved. Thanks for your help.

Message 24 of 31

@Case850, There isn't. Regardless of whether or not it fixes my specific problems, it's still an issue that needs to be solved.

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7