Re: R8000 QOS how do you set new applications?

fitnesspm
Luminary

R8000 QOS how do you set new applications?

Hi,

How do you set new applications and ports for the R8000 under QOS? I have dynamic QOS on but I can't find the option to set new extra applications and ports?

It's now 2017, when I click 'update now' under 'Automatically update performance optimization database' it says 

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router
Version: v1.80,1.0.26
Release Date: 2015/12/28

Is there no new update for this in over a year???

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 22
fitnesspm
Luminary

My gaming computer is wired and it still lags when I play Paladins! It's set to Highest where my housemate is set to medium (downloading). 

Message 2 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@fitnesspm wrote:

Hi,

How do you set new applications and ports for the R8000 under QOS? I have dynamic QOS on but I can't find the option to set new extra applications and ports? 

When I have it right, newer Nighthawk models no longer allow manual definitons.

@fitnesspm wrote:

It's now 2017, when I click 'update now' under 'Automatically update performance optimization database' it says 

Current Performance Optimization Database on Router
Version: v1.80,1.0.26
Release Date: 2015/12/28

Is there no new update for this in over a year???

Valid question, ame (not only) for the R9000, too -> @ElaineM@JamesGL ?

Message 3 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Let me inquire this. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 22
schumaku
Guru

Dear @ElaineM ... there is even more for this inquiry. A pop-up does show this text - considering some or many users are providing feedback, to see that finally nothing really happens (no updates) is more than youst a little bit strange:

===

Help improve Dynamic QoS by sharing QoS analytics information with NETGEAR

The Dynamic QoS feature of your router helps improve your router’s Internet traffic management capabilities through better traffic identification and bandwidth management techniques. Your sharing analytics information helps to improve the feature and provide you better service in the future. Check below to enable sharing of analytics information.

Data Collection, Usage, and Disclosure. If you opt in to sharing analytics information by selecting "Yes" below, NETGEAR will receive the following data transmitted through the router ("QoS analytics information"):

• information about what websites or applications are visited by devices accessing the Internet through your router, but not what specific content you accessed, links you clicked on, or other actions you took on the site or application;
  • the time and duration of Internet use and volume of data accessed;
  • information about bandwidth, such as bandwidth oversubscription conditions;
  • the MAC addresses of your router and devices connected to your router; and
  • the types of devices connected to your router.

We do not associate the above information with information that directly identifies you. NETGEAR uses aggregate QoS analytics information to help optimize our routers for you and others. We may also use aggregate QoS analytics information for marketing purposes.

NETGEAR is the entity responsible for processing QoS analytics information. NETGEAR shares QoS analytics data with its service providers to improve the Dynamic QoS feature and service. NETGEAR requires its service providers by contract to appropriately safeguard the privacy and security of the data and to use the information when associated with a MAC address only as necessary to perform certain services on its behalf or to comply with legal requirements. The QoS analytics information may be transferred to countries other than the country in which the data was originally collected. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information.

Would you like to share QoS analytics information?
By agreeing to share QoS analytics information, you consent to the processing and transfer of your data for the purposes and under the conditions described above.  You have the right to withdraw your consent for the collection of your data at any time and free of charge by updating the settings of your router.  Note that if you do not consent to the processing of your data, you will still be able to benefit from the Dynamic QoS feature and use your router.

====

Thank you again!

-Kurt

Message 5 of 22
William10a
Master

The same standard story if you allow them to have information on how your router is handing the task placed on it and said that going to take of you. Used by many program and web sites but are very slow to pay off if ever.

Message 6 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Our engineers is looking to update the R8000 to the new binary in order to update the database and it may take some time for that update to be released. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 7 of 22
TheWorstPing
Luminary

"our engineers is looking" ?? 

anywho can't forget the R7900 which is just about the same router just with 1 less usb port... I find it really strange that the Q.O.S. database hasnt been updated since 2015.. i purchased the router this year, you mean to tell me nothing new has come out since then and uses the same analytics?and is now outdated by a router that cost less?? hmmm. Please inform them that Qos is not working as intended for the R8000 and R7900. allow us to set priority for applications/devices just like you can on the X4S aka R7800...

..unreal 

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TheWorstPing Don't you have the option "bandwidth utilization by device and application" under QoS for you to set priority? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 9 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

@TheWorstPing Don't you have the option "bandwidth utilization by device and application" under QoS for you to set priority? 

Isn't the R7900 having "just" the smart a** Dynamic QoS only, as on the R8000 and the R9000?

Message 10 of 22
William10a
Master

Yes the qos is basiced on importance of the internet data where ainteractive  game would the get higest though put but a E-mail needs only the lowest though put. The level of is set by feed back recieved by Netgear by people who let them monitor traffic on the router and helps them set the levels from I what saw in one posting and some thing about a new way handling qos is in the works.

Message 11 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

Our engineers is looking to update the R8000 to the new binary in order to update the database and it may take some time for that update to be released. 

...reads to me like "we have no plan what is in the database, what should be added, and why it should be updated at all" ... sold is sold, we don't care much.

What is done with the feedback our routers are providing to Netgear?

How can Netgear figure out what new services users want on high priority - and _not_ jut put one or some selected systems globallly for up- and downlink on all services?

Undoubted - this "new" QoS is a major step back.

Message 12 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don't have an exact date when but I know that we are going to update that QoS database.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 13 of 22
schumaku
Guru

@ElaineM wrote:

I don't have an exact date when but I know that we are going to update that QoS database.

I would Netgear does supply regular updates, does allow adding input for rules, ... for all routers making use of thie QoS database.

Without nasty communy members and moderators having to drive the sleeping software engineering team...

-Kurt

Message 14 of 22
TheWorstPing
Luminary

"Dynamic QOS"..... all i got

Message 15 of 22
fitnesspm
Luminary

I guess Netgear are Liberals (fascists) that only allow themselves to control dynamic QOS (political correctness) and not give us any freedom to allow us to control our own QOS (lives).
Message 16 of 22
William10a
Master

The firmware on any router has limits set by the people who write them I do not care if who's router you use they all problem areas for their users. The companys that product the equipement like netgear, linksys, asus and who ever else in the market place all limit control somehow, some give more control to the user in some areas while holding back in other areas and some keep the control of the router to them selves so not just netgear  has issues with features that are there and not there it is the programmers as well.

Message 17 of 22
TheWorstPing
Luminary

i heard the x4s router has QOS that you can manually set up, as to the more expensive routers have a QOS that is just "dynamic" with no real customization 

Message 18 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We will be providing regular updates on the QoS database on our routers with Dynamic QoS. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 19 of 22
TheWorstPing
Luminary

please do so for the R7900

in desperate need at this point .

Message 20 of 22
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We will inform the community if it becomes available. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 21 of 22
fitnesspm
Luminary

We will be providing regular updates on the QoS database on our routers with Dynamic QoS.
ElaineM Community Team

It's been 1 1/2 years on the R8000 where new games come out all the time!!! How about giving us the power to manually configurate QOS for ourselves cause you clearly aren't releasing new updates!!!

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E