Re: R8000 QOS

JohntheGeek
Aspirant

R8000 QOS

So far i'm very disapppinted with the R8000 wireless router. I've turned off the wireless because i was getting worse speeds than my apple airport extream. Now i've turnd off QOS because after a day of restarting the router, my download speeds are reduced by 50 - 75 percent. After i restart the router, my download speeds go right back up to what i'm suppose to have. Wait a couple days, the download speeds drop again, reboot router, rinse and repeat. I didn't buy the router just to turn everything off.

Are you aware of the issue or do i have a defective router?

Message 1 of 5
WJames
Aspirant

I have had the R8000 for almost a year.  There are four people in our house with about a dozen connected devices.  It is not uncommon for all of us to be streaming videos / playing online games via WAN / LAN connections.  It is rare to ever experience a hiccup in playback or a noticable lag spike.  The router is running the latest firmware and has QOS enabled.

Please note that none of the radios use Auto channel.  Instead, I recommend that you run a Wi-Fi analytics tool to see what channels are in use by your neighbors, and then assign your radios to unused channels.  Note that some 2.4 channels overlap.  Here is a good article on configuring channels:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31656-it-takes-a-neighborhood-to-fix-bad-wire...

I hope my suggestions help.

Message 2 of 5
JohntheGeek
Aspirant

I tuned off Dynamis QOS for a couple days and my download sppeds are now cut in half again. Restarting the router fixes the problem. Netgear, if you know about this problem or are working on it, i would love to know.

Message 3 of 5
JamesGL
Master

Hi @JohntheGeek,

Do you have the latest firmware on the router? Have you tried performing a factory reset? For slow speed, does it affect wired devices as well or only wireless devices?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 4 of 5
JohntheGeek
Aspirant

I did preform a factory restet on the router. I'll post back how it's performing in a couple days.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E