Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 Requiring weekly rebooting (help!)

Beck73
Tutor

R8000 Requiring weekly rebooting (help!)

Hello everyone. I just upgraded from a R6400 that we had for several years to a R8000 about a month ago. The R6400 in the whole time we had it was only rebooted when we were doing upgrades, no problems ever with it staying online.
Moving now to the R8000, we have been having to reboot the router at least once a week since switching to it. No rhyme or reason or specific time of it hanging up. It has become a pain as well with work and school (from home).

Anyone else had similar problems or suggestions?

The firmware we are currently running is v1.0.4.68

Edit: one important thing I forgot to mention. When it decides to have this little ‘hiccup’ issue often what will happen is the router will appear to disconnect devices. When we try to reconnect to the router (we can see its name clearly in the list to connect to) it will ask for the password for some reason and when you try typing it -
It will not accept it. The only way to get back in to the router/wifi is to reboot it at this point.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: R8000 Requiring weekly rebooting (help!)

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Did you ever try a factory reset and clean install (not from backup)?

Message 2 of 11
Beck73
Tutor

I’m not sure I understand your first question. I have fiber via a local provider. It doesn’t require any sort of login. The fiber runs directly into the router via ethernet.

As for your other suggestion, I had not tried that. I just attempted it a few minutes ago and reset the router (via the hole in the back) and went thru the process of redoing the settings.
It seemed fine for about an hour - I had still been tweaking things then suddenly I could no longer refresh any pages. When I tried going to Google, I was dead in the water.
I closed the browser and tried rejoining the network and got that same message as before asking for the password (getting it on all devices now) just like usual.

Just for giggles I tried putting in the password that came with my router and it isn’t working either, prior to me changing it after resetting the router.
Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not being sarcastic but fibre doesn't turn into ethernet. There's some box the fibre is connected to that converts it to ethernet. Sometimes its a simple ont without an integrated router but sometimes it has its own routing features. 

Just trying to determine that. 

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

You can try installing version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware to the R8000, then factory resetting and reinstalling again. The newer versions had netgear armor and not all played nice with armor. If this works, disable auto-updates
Message 5 of 11
Beck73
Tutor

Right, I honestly didn't understand you I didn’t take it wrong. It just looks like a simple plastic box though, no lights no nothing. The company that installed it years ago put it along the walk. The fiber runs into one side and an ethernet cable comes out the other.
Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

I would give the firmware change a shot and see if it helps. Not all the r8000's played nicely with armor for some reason. 

Message 7 of 11
Beck73
Tutor

Uggh...we have been using both Circle and the trial of the Armor. The Armor is one we can ditch but the Circle software has come in handy. And as luck would have it - it looks like it wasn’t rolled out until around 1.0.4.52

I went ahead and downloaded the .28 and am going to try a couple more things testing wise now before rolling it back just to see if that is the culprit. I guess if it is I know what my options are are at least.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

if it does fix the issues, there are 3rd party firmwares for the r8000 that might work. Again, they're 3rd party so you won't find them on here. 

But you can also try newer versions of the firmware as well. 

For best results, I've seen people reset the router, then manually update the firmware, then do another factory reset and clean install. Its a bit long of a process but its worked for some when they're having issues on the newer firmware. 

Message 9 of 11
Speaknoevil1990
Aspirant

I’m having similar issues with connectivity and also with my two step verification to log into online at routerlogin.net. I factory reset my router and changed the two step questions and answers and it still says that the information provided isn’t what is stored on the router.
Message 10 of 11
Beck73
Tutor

I rolled back the firmware and this fixed the problem. We were noticing some other odd issues with the ‘Armour’ security software and how it would cause the router to hang or crash no matter how it was enabled/disabled.
We went with an earlier firmware and purchased a standalone Circle unit that plugs into the router with a lifetime subscription.
I have not had to reboot the router since and the whole family is happy (well, except for the kid who cannot surf after 9pm or gets filtered content now).
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7