Re: R8000 Slow Wireless & Wired,

azzopardim
Aspirant

I had a similar issue. When I upgraded to Verizon FIOS 100/100 from 75/75 I was not getting anything better than 86/78. Tried direct connection to the Verizon router and the speeds bumped up to 100/120. After several attempts with changing cables and so on.... I decided to turn off QoS. Now I got the full speed through the R8000. Definitely there is a problem with the QoS as it applies some limit on the bandwidth.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 26 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

For me, I noticed more speed, and even more stable connections once I turned off the QOS as well as the smart connect and once I also turned off the 20/40 Co, that alone made my 2.4ghz speed and reliability stronger.

It's been 4 days and I've had no drop outs, I didn't have to reboot the router at all, stable 5ghz as well, I know turning off the 20/40 is a no no, but it worked out for me....

Now if I can figure our the ethernet dropping issue it would be perfect for sure.....

Message 27 of 50
djblack91
Aspirant

Having the very same problem

Message 28 of 50
JamesGL
Master

Hi djblack91,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. If you connect a computer directly to the modem, will you get faster speed or the same slow speed? If the same slow speed, contact your ISP.

3. If faster on the modem, update the firmware of the router and reset.

Message 29 of 50
guyguy
Apprentice

I had the same issue with my r8000 router. I noticed that wired and wireless speeds were slow.  I believe I am running the current firmware version. Last weekend, I was trying to download a 128mb file which it said 3 hours to download this file.  I have a Vista computer connected directly to the router.  I am not using OpenDNS and the DNS settings are coming from my ISP.  Again, I am not using the DNS settings provided by OpenDNS.  Also, I did enable QoS to monitor the activity of devices. Although the QoS is weak and doesn't provide much information about each device, it is a little helpful. 

Anyways, I did notice speed was slow on wired and wireless devices.  Yes, I did have the proper cables plugged in to each port.  What is funny is I have an older Linksys 1900ac and I was able to download a 128mb file in a few minutes compared to 3 hours on the same computer.  That is funny.  It is sad to spend a lot of money on a good router like the Netgear Nighthawk and this router claims it is fast and you are suppose to get good speed and it seems that my Linksys router is faster than the Nighthawk. 

Message 30 of 50
ChavezSA
Guide

I couldnt take it anymore and returned the r8000 and got a D-Link 890L ac3200.....not a days issue for the past week and enjoying full linespeed again

Message 31 of 50
guyguy
Apprentice

I will keep the Nighthawk router but I hope that Netgear will improve this router and add features or improve the existing features.  I need a router that has good parental controls and has good speed.  Unfortunately, this router failed at both. I will continue to look for a better router.

Message 32 of 50
daharris
Aspirant

I also have the same problem. Wifi downloads up to 30 mb/s when my ISP speed is 200 mb/s. I'm using a cat5e cable to connect the router to the modem. Plugging directly to the router gives me full speed.

Message 33 of 50
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

i am having this exact issue on my R7900 (identical to r8000) . it seems to be an ongoing problem that has no tbeen addressed by netgear. all they ask is if i have reset router to factory settings/ updated to latest firmware. Yet, neither of these fix the problem. i have the router at stock settings and my speeds on wifi also drop to 30mbs. i have a 100mb connection and when i reset the router the speeds are fine! then a few hours later they drop... has to be some sort of firmware problem since many different netgear routers are experiencing same issue. 

NOTE: ( i even replaced the router with another of the same model and still the problem persists.) 

Message 34 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

It seems that Netgear isn't really taking these problems serious enough to really do 1) a major update to fix these issues or 2) do a recall. There are one too many people having such issues between the very weak and horrible 2.4ghz signal strength or the weak unstable ethernet connection and the other problems. I spent way too much money trying to believe in this company and their products but unfortunately they are not as loyal to their customers who really support them. I spent more than $700 between buying the x6 and the x4 extenders and so on that I ended up just disconnecting all of them and putting my 3rd Gen apple N router and them I had no issues what so ever, ended up buying the Google WiFi system and have not had to reboot once, have not had to go into the settings and change the channel once.

The problem is that Netgear seems to not really read the many and many forums of hundreds of people with the same issue, they seem to be missing all of the reviews from best buy to amazon. They seem to be missing all of the amount of used and refurbished units for sale, let's face it Netgear has become a company that only cares to get your money and that's it, because even under warranty their customer service representatives have no clue of what the issue is and claim to have never heard of the issue meanwhile how many people in this forum and on reviews claim to have spoken to customer service about these very issues? Are they all lying? Are we with the issues lying? They send you another unit that will have the very same issue and they still don't have a clue or pretend to not have a clue....

I'm so disappointed with netgear and these products... I became so tired of rebooting, reseting, 30,30,30 and so on....

The bottom line this isn't a hit or miss product, this is a major issue that netgear hopes and prays that everyone's warranty expires.

Shame on you netgear for not caring that people spent their hard earned money to support a product that is faulty. Shame on you for having customer service representatives that have no idea of what is going on with these units when there are hundreds saying the same thing, one customer is a complaint, 2 are an issue, hundreds are a major problem.

However, this post will be deleted by netgear or never taken serious, they got my money already, they don't care...

Never again will I ever buy such a product..... Disgusting
Message 35 of 50
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

this makes me sad man, now i dont know wheather i should replace my router because that may be the problem or have my isp replace the old cable the have running through my house for better stabalitzation.... why cant things "just work" like Apple ;p

Message 36 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

I assure you it's the router! It's not your cables, or your cable provider... we've all been there hoping that it was old cabling, or something wrong with the cable Internet provider. But it's not, it's these products.... before I finally gave up on my X6, I changed all my cat5 cables to cat7, that''s including a audioquest Cinnamon cat7 patch cable that cost me $150... I ended up spending so much more money thinking that it couldn't have been the netgear products, spent money thinking that there was no way in hell that it could be these very expensive products... that it has to be everything else... well you know what? It's not everything else, because all of that everything else worked with every single other router that you probably had before the netgear....

It was too the point for me where I became obsessed with changing the settings, changing the channels, changing the mtu settings, rebooting the router every day. Every freaking day, and each time I rebooted the router it was like angels were singing because it worked, but then an hour or two later back to the same thing.... or having high speed internet, for me I have 200mbps speed and I'm watching Netflix or hulu and the load time is taking forever, I thought well maybe it's the fire tv, so I upgraded to the newer fire tv instead of believing it was the X6, but it always was the netgear... it looks like there customer service only know how to ask if you did a full factory reset, and when your case is upgraded to a higher tech department which is more than likely the guy sitting next to the guy you're talking too in customer service they ask you the same damn questions, did you reset, reboot, factory reset as if it's not already in the notes that it has been done, my favorite is the 30,30,30 BS.......

These are dead products, and to think that I almost bought the X10.

Trust me, save yourself the headache and get yourself another router, get rid of everything you have that has the name netgear.... you'll sleep better believe me...
Message 37 of 50
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

say it aint so man, i have hope and faith that if the isp replaces the cabling that it could fix it.... because i remember it happening with their modem and my linksys router... can't give up hope lol. i will report back within a week and a halfs time because by then i will have had a tech come out and replace the cable.. making the call first thing tomorrow morning. will break my heart if it is indeed the current netgear modem and netgear router's fault why im having these problems with my internet stability/connection.

Message 38 of 50
guyguy
Apprentice

Netgear doesn't give a CRAP about there customers but for them they want customers to buy a 300 dollar router and what does Netgear give in return?  NOTHING.  They expect users to use OpenDNS for the filtering and they don't provide enough features on the router itself.  The Genie sucks and terrible to use.  The router becomes a paperweight.  Even an old Linksys router is BETTER than Netgear's router. 

Netgear releases minor firmware versions but doesn't add anything new or improves an existing feature.  Everyone talks about how GOOD the Nighthawk router. You have Netgear loyal users on various forums and even on Amazon who give the Nighthawk router 4 stars and say how great this router.  What is great about this router.  The speed is not outstanding or better than any other router, the parental controls are terrible and WEAK, you can't set a time schedule on the router itself, OpenDNS what??, oh... did I say OpenDNS.... Again, put this router on the shelf or just sell it on Ebay. 

I put mine back in the box and put it on the shelf where it belongs.  Actually, I am testing out the Synology RT2600ac router.  This router appears to be good but it lacks in some features. Overall, I am happy with this router. 

Message 39 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

Amen Brother, agreed.......

As I mentioned before, I removed all netgear and had put my old apple router back on and no issues what so ever! I then ended up buying the Google WiFi just to try it out and no issues at all. I spent $300 on the Google WiFi mesh system and it works like a charm....

I spent $300 on the X6 , $150 on the X4 Extender and then $120 on the AC1900 Extender plus $120 for my cable company to come out and check everything and that's not including the money I spent on cat7 cables and I even bought the arris modem $140 because Netgear told me that it may be the modem and upgraded the patch cable to a very high end audio quest another $150 and all of that money I spent was within months of owning the X6.

Trust me and Guyguy is saying, sell it for the peace of mind... you will drive yourself crazy changing this or that, you will lose sleep and that's not a joke...

I can't even tell you the amount of hours spent reading post, reviews, changing settings, going into my dvd player, ps4 and xbox one and changing mtu settings.

The router looks good, is beautiful, people say wow what is that when they come to your house, it will make great conversation especially about the face huggers from alien but it's not worth it.

Very weak unstable 2.4ghz, unstable 5ghz, weak and unstable ether net connection, some things will connect and others won't, it's not worth it. .

Believe me, they don't care, and this is coming from someone who was sent 2 X6 after the first one and nothing, same issues.... so they rather make it seem as if something is wrong on your end....

Message 40 of 50
chriswiz25
Tutor

R8000

Windows 10

Latest router firmware

I agree with you Divinchi24 101%.

Stay away from this router if you're planning on getting Gigabit Internet. I'm only getting around 340Mbps downstream and upstream using wired connection on this router whereas I got 950Mbps from the free Fritzbox 7490 modem provided by my ISP. Same computer and same Ethernet cable used.

They got my router replaced and unfortunately it gave me the same problem. Their Tier 2 support gave up and was unable to fix my issue. They instead offer me a downgrade router R7500 as a replacement which is beyond joke!  It seemed their manager doesn't have common sense and showed no respect to their customers.  I'm not a fool to accept a downgrade offer especially it's not my fault that they got a defective product.

The Customer Care manager even told me that since "I decided to resolve the issue myself", he'll just have to process a refund on the product.  He sounded like that it's my fault and impatient to get them to fix their issue but he didn't acknowledge that I spent around 9 hours of phone calls with them (plus numerous hours of my spare time to do research and troubleshooting trying to fix the issue myself) and 3 weeks until I gave up hope and requested a refund.  They just can't ask their customers to wait to fix their problem especially that people had been reporting this issue way back 2015.

You will surely regret buying this expensive router which doesn't perform what you paid for. Google "R8000 wired speed issue gbps" and you can find several people complaining about this router which they never bother to fix the issue (source were way back 2015 and 2016 from this community and other sources).

I repeat, BUT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Message 41 of 50
vitamin
Aspirant

Gettiing the grossly slow speeds both on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.   Speeds at the router (plugged in) are fine.

I'm hugely bummed knowing that I spend $240 on this thing.   

The routher is up to date on Firmware.  

Message 42 of 50
chriswiz25
Tutor

I'm not surprised this article is still open.  I doubt if they'll be able to fix it.  I asked Netgear if they can provide me with a different model using Qualcomm chipset or refund my money so I can go somewhere else. They chose a refund. Now, I'm so happy with my TP link C2600. I only got it for $105 in Amazon and getting 605Mbps download speed on wifi. I also get 940Mbps+ on Ethernet cable connection which the R8000 struggles at around 340Mbps.

Message 43 of 50
rickyson
Aspirant

I was facing similar issues today. I upgraded from DSL12mbit to cable50mbit. The maintenaince guy said everything is fine, but we could only measure around 11mbit on the wifi.

I did a full reset of the netgear router, then i connected to the default wifi ssid and password. i tried to open a website, was redirected to the netgear setup assistant, i chose configure in router mode, and sticked with the NETGEARXXX default wifi ssid. Internet was connected, I did a speedtest and voila i got 30mbit, and 5min later 51mbit.

Now I renamed all 3 Wifi networks to the same SSID. Now my 2.4Ghz would get around 200mbit and my 5Ghz over 1Gbit sitting next to the router on my macbook pro. So all good!

I noticed that checking "Smart Connect - One Wireless Network Name (SSID) for both 5GHz radios" or enabling QOS will make either the WIFI oir the internet siginificantly slower(<50mbit wifi, and <30mbit internet). So the best is to keep the router as much as possible to the defaults and disable any additional tweak, such as SmartConnect or QOS...

Message 44 of 50
vitamin
Aspirant

I ended up using Google WiFi and love it.  Never going back.  R8000 in the garbage.

Message 45 of 50
chriswiz25
Tutor

Yes, your issue is a little similar.  I didn't have issues on this on 100Mbps Fibre until I upgraded to Gigabit.  I've done disabling all those unecessary features on the modem (QOS wasn't even turned ON back then) but no joy.  Their Tier2 even did a remote access on router &my PC but gave up.  If you happen to have an ISP that requires PPPoE, Vlan tagging on a Gigabit connection then good luck.  It's likely a physical limitation of this hardware.

Message 46 of 50
Mnblkbrd
Aspirant

Router is not getting the 1 Gps as advertised. Phone support wants to gouge customers. 

I sent my first router back to Netgear as the latest firmware turned the router into a brick. Netgear sent me a replacement as I was still under warranty. However, the warranty and tech support does not reset. 

The issue is on this 2nd router. I am running firmware V1.0.2.44_1.0.96 as I do not want to upgrade to 1.0.4.4_1.1.42 as it bricked my original router. 

I am not running QOS, I completed a factory reset, I changed the Fragmentation Length to 2304, the CTS/RTS Threshold to 2305 and the Preamble to short as suggested by an email sent from phone support since I refused to pay the $90.

Please provide advice.

Message 47 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

Unfortunately, the only suggestion that I can offer is to give up and get another brand! The truth is, Netgear and their customer service is horrible and are very bad actors pretending that they haven't heard of such problem when there are thousands of people with the same issue.

My guess is that the x6 and the x8 and so on really weren't made with the amount of interference that households now carry such as microwaves and LED bulbs or the amount of wireless networks around.

Everything that you have tried I tried and many others have tried, we all received replacement devices and we all spoke with customer service and we all did countless hours of research and we all gave up in the end.

If customer service and Netgear really cared they would have recalled these routers or have already figured out what the issue was already...

They care that you spend money of their products and they care about keeping your money and they believe by sending you another unit that it makes their customer service great but it does not, here we are more than a year and half that I gave up and you are having the same problem, that alone speaks for itself.

I bought the Google WiFi set of three for the same price that I paid for the nighthawk and never looked back, the Google offers me stable speed and connection throughout my house, something that the Netgear never did...

Good luck
Message 48 of 50
guyguy
Apprentice

Take the advice from many unhappy Netgear users.  Netgear SUCKS!  I can't say that enough.  Don't use their products and don't waste the time, money and effort on their products.  It is not worth it.  Netgear will never compete with Linksys, Asus and other brand when it comes to routers.  

Message 49 of 50
chriswiz25
Tutor

This topic has been open since 2015.  And until today, they still haven't got an answer/fix to this issue.  It proves that they can't or won't fix it.  Just get another brand.

Message 50 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements