R8000 Slow Wireless & Wired,

LinuxGuy
Tutor

R8000 Slow Wireless & Wired,

A couple days ago I upgraded my router from the Linksys EA3500 N750, to the Nighthawk X6 R8000.  I have 100mbs service and when I'm wired dirrectly to the modem I do see between 93-100mbps depending on when I run the speedtest.net.

The moment I put the router betweent he PC and the modem the connection speed drops to around 60mbps for wired and no better than 27mbps for wireless. (Download)

At first I thought it was the router because the last router never had this problem so I returned the first R8000 and exchanged it for another R8000.

I tried 4 or 5 of the previous Firmware available on netgears website with no change at all.  latest being V1.0.2.46_1.0.97

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on?

Thanks.

M

Message 1 of 50
Lucky-Me
Tutor

Re: R8000 Slow Wireless & Wired,

I just upgraded mine to R8000 too and not having this problem. Did you set up the R8000 to replace the service provider modem's router/wifi features too, by using their Auto-config (Genie) software to auto detect and set it up? Could you advice how are the devices being inter-connected physically? With more info then would be able to help. The patch cords (preferably good quality Cat 5e or Cat 6 ones) used to connect them up plays a part too. 

Message 2 of 50
LinuxGuy
Tutor

I did use the autodetect setting within the routerlogin.net genie

The modem is a Surfboard 6141 (4mo old) and worked in place with the previous router just days earlier.

They are connected normally.  Wall-modem-5e Patch-Router-wireless (or hardwired with a new cable)  

I've used 3 different new patch cords.  

Also, this is the second R8000 with the same results even though the previous router was at normal speeds.  If I take the router out of the loop, I am seeing 100mbps service dirrectly through the modem.

Message 3 of 50
Lucky-Me
Tutor

Just to confirm, you connected the router to your modem via the yellow internet port right? If it is connected correctly and set up properly, then unlikely to have this problem and you should be able to achieve the available bandwidth of your internet connection. 

As a next step, suggest that you try by resetting your R8000 router by pressing the reset button for at least 8-10 seconds until you see all the lights go off , then power off the R8000 and wait for 10 seconds before powering it up, then do the setup again. This would solve the problem sometimes.

Message 4 of 50
LinuxGuy
Tutor

I have reset the moden a few times.  I also did it to the last R8000 I returned a few days ago.  I can't imagine that the store would have two faulty r8000's but it's the only thing I can imagine.  

Message 5 of 50
Lucky-Me
Tutor

BTW, are you a techie that is able to check the setup manually after the auto-setup. If you have already set it up and using it, you could try to access the router by keying in the default IP address 192.168.1.1 to access the router setup page, default ID is admin and Password is password. Check the settings to see if there is anything unusual with any of the settings.

Have you tried calling their tech support then? Guess that is the other only thing left that you can do then, to let them guide you through the troubleshooting. 

Message 6 of 50
LinuxGuy
Tutor

I am able to set up the connection manually but there was no change.  Complete resets and all versions of the firmware available did not fix the problems.

In the end I exchanged the router a second time (3rd R8000) and managed to have similar issues but the connection speeds were increased by a little on all ports but 4.  (previously I had no issues with the router the nighthawk replaced.)

Wired

Port1 117mbps

Port2 98mpbs

Port3 80mpbs

Port4 63mbps 

Wireless 

2.4 60mbps

5-1 55mbps

5-2 40mbps

After leaving the connection up for several hours as requested by Netgear tech support the speeds actually went down back to where they were previously with the 27mbps on wireless and 60ish mbps wired.

After 3 R8000's I gave up and bought a Linksys ea8500.  Magically, all of my speeds are within spec and acceptible.  

I have no explination why the R8000 was such a PITA for me.  My wife has literally sold hundreds of these routers and has never had any of them returned for the issues we were having.

Message 7 of 50
Lucky-Me
Tutor

Yup, this is really strange and one can't derive a logical reason as to why this is happening to you. 

Message 8 of 50
JamesGL
Master

Hi @LinuxGuy,

Please try the latest firmware for R8000.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30010

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 9 of 50
LinuxGuy
Tutor

Thank you for your reply but you didn't read anything I wrote.

Message 10 of 50
JamesGL
Master

Hi @LinuxGuy,

I sent you message please check your inbox.

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 11 of 50
wattielo
Aspirant

Hi there,

I ma having the same problem the previous gentleman described. I bought my 2nd R8000 now, and still have the same issue. Can anyone help? 

Message 12 of 50
Lucky-Me
Tutor

I believe you have read though the earlier posts and have tried out the different means described there to resolve the problem yah?

If you have already done so on those steps, have you tried connecting directly to your modem or router directly via a Cat 5E or Cat 6 patch cord and perform a speedtest to check your bandwidth (to the ISP) at the modem and directly via the router's wired connection? If you haven't done so, pls check this first and let me know. Is your connection speed the same for wireless and wired?

Do note that a full proper router reset is very important as it solves many funny problems most of the time. 

It will be helpful if you could describe a little more about your problem, something that is unique and doesn't seem to be normal to the best of your knowledge.

BTW, what do you meant by you bought your 2nd R8000 now? You already have a R8000 bought earlier and is using it now without problems?

Message 13 of 50
AZ_Life
Star

Just bought this router. Exact same issue. What is odd is the speeds out the box was 90mbps wireless. Then I hit upgrade to latest firmware. Now I cannot get above 26mbps. Literally minutes later. What the heck
Message 14 of 50
JamesGL
Master

Hi AZ_Life,

Try to reset the router to factory default and manually reconfigure the device.

Message 15 of 50
JamesGL
Master

Hi AZ_Life,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Message 16 of 50
Tmac47
Aspirant

I'm also having the same exact issues as the OP. Literally, the exact same issues.

The support on this forum is laughable and it seems the Mods don't even read the posts before responding.

Message 17 of 50
DonNewman
Tutor

I have also had the same issue. On another forum a user suggested that if you are using the QoS feature to not let it determine your speed. Manually set those speeds 3-5 higher than what you are supposed to get from your ISP. I did this and BOOM! My speeds were where they are supposed to be.
Message 18 of 50
Tmac47
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

I've updated my settings, so hopefully this works!

Message 19 of 50
Per_Olsen
Aspirant

Hi

I have the same problem - turning off QoS do help a bit (a lot in fact). However, running several tests - directly on the modem, turning off Wi-fi usinge an other routher clearsly shows that the R8000 "take out" some percentage of the max speed. I will need to return regarding the specific numbers... as I also have an issue getting max speed (1/1GB) from my provider.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time reading reviews of this and other routhers, and I did not see this problem comming. :-/

Regards Per

Message 20 of 50
DonNewman
Tutor

I only have 50 mg and manually setting my speed threshold in QoS worked for me. I have a total of 9 devices connected at any one time. 3 of which are wired.
Message 21 of 50
DonNewman
Tutor

Message 22 of 50
Per_Olsen
Aspirant

Thanks - Reading a lot of stuff on the net., I now found one more small problem. It appears that I was given a CAT5 cable with the modem - and when I changed that to a CAT6 one a lot happend!

Also I have tried to set the threshold, but the max is 1000mb - so I can not set it it to 2-3 times what I am suposed to get.

Finally I had to power off/on the X6, and that appears to give completely new, and better, results.

I'm now trying to upgrade my switches and cables, as some also appears to be defect and I will return with a more fulfilling report with speed reading etc.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 23 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

I have tried what DonNewman suggested and that so far has worked for me, I also placed my 2.4ghz on Auto. At first I had to turn off QOS because it was giving me issues, once I did what DonNewman suggested my speeds jumped from what they were, so so far this has worked. I will indeed update if anything changes.
Message 24 of 50
Divinchi24
Guide

Per_Olsen, great choice on upgrading the cable as Cat6 is a major improvement over Cat5 and Cat5A. For me, as I live in NYC, I am hit hard with lots of interference from the train and taxi cabs, so I was forced to upgrade to Cat7 which has stronger shielding but also made a major improvement for me. After I had changed my cables I noticed more speed and better consistency of the speed which was what I needed. Also to speed up the wifi, connect everything that doesn't need to be hooked up to wifi to ethernet, such as legacy devices such as older macs and playstation 3 and so on. If there is no need for these to be on wifi the better for you.

Hope this helps
Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements