R8000 USB 3.0 ReadyShare drive NOT recognized.

schumaku
Guru

Re: R8000 USB 3.0 ReadyShare drive NOT recognized.

Easy possible there is some file system corruption - also potentially causing issues.

In the log above you posted there was some WDxxEADS or WDxxEARS - both are WD Green, both with extreme long error correction and recovery times.

Message 26 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@schumaku wrote:

Easy possible there is some file system corruption - also potentially causing issues.

In the log above you posted there was some WDxxEADS or WDxxEARS - both are WD Green, both with extreme long error correction and recovery times.

I didn't have 2 drives although I do have a new MY Book USB 3.0 that I didn't test with? I didn't see WDxxEARS above either? Not to matter, I didn't think searching for WDxxEADS, and yes, that is a Green inside the case it seems.

I deleted the .DLNA folder, and waited for it to be rebuilt. Seems that was the problem as it is working fine on the iPad now? Used Air Play and the log doesn't show a drop for the drive. All is well.

Thanks

Message 27 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@IrvSp 

I was concentrated past 2 days on something else .Sorry for the delay. I was about to send you the private message but that was not necessary, since you did figure it out the direction how to work it out. 

I am glad that things are working well for you now, but I am eery that it will not last long, particularly with R8000 DLNA problem with the hardware culprit. In any case, let's hope for the best that your network stays stable for long time until new FW comes up.

@schumaku

I will take it up with PM regarding the Gb Internet speed, but after I collect all pertinent information and lay out my strategy to tactkle this problem. ( again, off topic to this post, but just for FYI)

Cheers,

Terry

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 28 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, well, since I cleaned up the USB drive on my PC and  put it back, all seems well... no problem using Air Play on the iPad either.

Still getting modem TOD's though and reflected in the log.

I am still concerned about a FIX that went into the R7000.  This went in on V1.0.9.14, "Fixes the issue where Internet sessions are disconnected when the DHCP lease update occurs on the Internet port." I'm wondering if this is not fixed in the R8000? I did NOT see it in any README? I looked as far back as V.1.03.4.

On the R7000 I know that problem didn't always appear but did often enough for me to be bothered by it as web pages didn't load or stopped loading while it was disconnected and I happened to be using the Internet some way. If I wasn't using the Internet I never knew it was happening, but in any event, from what I could tell ONLY when I tried using the Internet did the router log the it was disconnected, not every time it happened it seemed.

Can you verify with NG this is not a problem that had or does exist? Somehow I think the base code for the R8000 was the R7000 and all that was added the the change to SMART CONNECT and a 2nd 5Ghz radio, as well as chip changes required (if any)?

Of course the whole USB drive stuff needs to be worked and SMB1 problem (or requirement of same).

Message 29 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, well that was short lived. It happened again....

Last modem event to happen:

4/20/2018 8:20840007005RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=8c:09:f4:ea:87:12;CMTS-MAC=00:ca:e5:c8:6b:25;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
4/20/2018 8:39680106006DHCP Renew - lease parameters time server-71.44.246.10;tftp file-?BEtyWS2MCfTqhxIK0ON6@CtDjek_s9Ljhump6065ZGyXzs9tNK5rv modified;CM-MAC=8c:09:f4:ea:87:12;CMTS-MAC=00:ca:e5:c8:6b:25;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Last few TOD's by modem:

4/20/2018 12:394000960006New time has been retrieved from ToD server.
4/20/2018 13:394000960006New time has been retrieved from ToD server.
4/20/2018 14:394000960006New time has been retrieved from ToD server.
4/20/2018 15:394000960006New time has been retrieved from ToD server.

Router Log from 12:39:

[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.30, Friday, Apr 20,2018 16:31:16
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.3)] to MAC address AC:63:BE:8E:E3:E2, Friday, Apr 20,2018 16:24:24
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Apr 20,2018 16:01:28
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.8.xx.xx, Friday, Apr 20,2018 16:01:28
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.4, Friday, Apr 20,2018 15:42:30
[USB device attached] The USB storage device WD 10EADS External (USB_ROUTER) is attached to the rou Friday, Apr 20,2018 15:42:07
[USB device detached] The USB storage device WD 10EADS External (USB_ROUTER) is removed from the ro Friday, Apr 20,2018 15:41:41
[Admin login] from source 192.168.1.30, Friday, Apr 20,2018 15:07:09
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:59:05
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:35:07
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.8.xx.xx, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:35:07
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.30)] to MAC address F8:B1:56Smiley Very HappyD:6A:5B, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:32:29
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:13:07
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:12:53
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.40)] to MAC address 08:BD:43:A5:8C:AA, Friday, Apr 20,2018 14:11:36
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.4)] to MAC address 98:01:A7:05:5D:8C, Friday, Apr 20,2018 13:43:57
[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.2)] to MAC address 10:AE:60:57:25:06, Friday, Apr 20,2018 13:33:45
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, Apr 20,2018 13:08:49
[Internet connected] IP address: 67.8.xx.xx, Friday, Apr 20,2018 13:08:49

I am very surprised the timestamps do NOT match?

Router time -Current Time:   Friday, 20 Apr 2018 16:36:23
 PC time - The current time is: 16:37:11.58

Modem time -

Time and Date:Fri 2018-04-20 16:37:35

Got to give me some time to switch screens, refresh, copy, paste, and that reflects to minor time differences, but NOT the log  not comparing to those?

Something has to be wrong with the router logging that the times are off so much? I'm assuming the modem also caused the router to get the time at least? Otherwise why is the router doing it so often? When it says 'Internet Connected' does that IMPLY it had been DISCONNECTED???

I think I'll reboot the router now and see if this loss of the DLNA server continues.

Message 30 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, the REBOOT didn't fix it... and if anything, it showed NEW symptoms.

After the reboot I tried the iPad Air Play. It did find the MOVIES folder OK, but there were TWO of them? Opened each up and they looked the same? OK, tried a movie on one, it started to play and the length seemed OK? Closed that and switched to the other one, same movie, but the load counter stayed at 0%. Since this was the 2nd folder, maybe it was just bad. Went back to the first one and when I clicked on it to open it I got a browsing error!!! Backed out to the Media Server Selection page and the R8000 didn't show as connected. Opened Safari and went to the browser... Log showed it disconnected and reconnected already. Went back to Air Play, only ONE folder this time. Quick check showed all movies and clicking on a few they all played.

Hours later I tried Air Play again.... Only one movie main folder (good) and a list of movies, however that also failed to play and got the browsing error. Waited for the drive to reconnect and it worked fine.

All this was working FLAWLESSLY before I ran that test above? Same firmware, no firmware changes made? Checked to make sure the drive is STILL in the USB 2.0 port and it is. I am at a total loss now? What changed?

I'm thinking now a TOTAL reset might be required? I've got about 2 months left on the free calling period. Maybe it is time to call?  I wish I knew the failure mechanism before calling though? I must suspect DLNA is involved itself though. I see MANY suggestions to make sure it is turned OFF when people are having connection problems. I don't however. I guess I could turn it off, power off the router, and then turn it on and then turn on DLNA and see what happens. If that doesn't work, repeat but take to drive to a PC and delete the .DLNA folder and put it back on the router? Could also see if I have the same problem in the 3.0 port I guess as well? I don't have a clue to the root cause of the problem and what was changed to make it occur?

Message 31 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, @schumaku, and @michaelkenward, well I have the solution and know the problem.

It was THE DRIVE!!!

What I don't know is what caused it? I got the drive late in 2009. A WD My Book Essentials 2.0 1TB. As I said it worked well until it was connected to the R8000. Then randomly I'd lose the connection to it as it disconnected from the router either while trying to use it or during usage.

Over time it took more and more retries with more pairs off disconnect and attaches until it stayed connected, especially in the last week or so.

My usual 'fix' was to take it to a PC and connect it. PC reported the drive needed to be fixed and ran CHKDSK on it. Always found problems, in the unallocated space no less? Put it back on the R8000 and it worked for a day or two. The other day when brought to the PC it took many minutes for it to be recognized. Once recognized it needed to have CHKDSK run. Then if I tried to use  the drive it disconnected and reconnected. Exhibiting the same problem as on the R8000. I did a long format (hours) and that did not fix it when I restore the contents and put it back on the R8000 and even made matters worse. So back to the PC which again required CHKDSK to be run. Got the WD Diagnostic and it couldn't FIND the drive? When it tried to access it it disconnected. I did a quick format and it does stay connected, and I can create a small TXT file on it, but WD Diagnostics still can't find it (I did get the one for the Legacy drive that is different from the newer versions which does work on my other WD External).

So I took another External drive, a Seagate, and populated it. Put it on the R8000 and it is working perfectly for a day. Has not dropped and me testing with repeated usage and accesses (more than I normally would do) it keeps on ticking...

SOOO... with an old drive, a 'green' one no less... did I really have a failure or was it caused by the R8000 causing the drive to disconnect without stopping that corrupted the drive and eventually after many times it happening the drive is damaged beyond repair? I sort of doubt this would be the case though unless somehow the W10 Spring Update V1803's CHKDSK or FORMAT has some bug in it?

I do have a case open for this, but if it doesn't fail with the new drive by Tuesday I will have it closed.

Thought you'd all like to know about this.

Message 32 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Wonder if you leave DLNA on or off with this working new USB drivez?
Terry
Message 33 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, leaving the settings as they were, always had DLNA on. Drives do auto-shutdown too and wake up instantly, easy to see with the drive lights. There is a small delay with NET VIEW or Windows Explorer when I select NETWORK, or the NETWORK Folder I have on my desktop to open or report. Had always been like that.

Only change I needed to make adding the new drive in, making the 2 shares I had as the VOLUME LABEL on the new drive was different.

I really think the DLNA Server is only active if selected, but the code is still there loaded probably? That code wouldn't be activated until a client tried to reach it though. The only difference I can see if DLNA is loaded and active is if the drive were to come up and didn't have a .DLNA folder with a database in it, the code would create those. Otherwise once the Server was contacted it would look for the database, read it, and send the data off. Of course, anytime a file was added it would check to see what type of file and if necessary it would update the database.

I really do not think the drive could be corrupted though from the disconnect alone as that drive is basically a 'read-only' drive, although there are additions and deletions  made to it occasionally. If the drive were in a PC one could detail how the drive was written too, delayed or immediately. I have no clue what the router f/w does but I'd bet on immedately. Still, disconnecting could cause problem depending on what the drive were doing I guess?

So far, drive in the router is NOT disconnecting, hope it stays that way. Sort of corroborates why basically I was the sole person with this problem. I even think the state of the drive could have something to do with the random USB 3.0 problems I have/had? That drive could have had an effect on the filesystem that might not be the most robust in the world handling errors?

Message 34 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

DUPLICATED.....
Let me know, please in next 2-3 days if your network is still stable?
All you mentioned above is most likely true. if you have relatively new " empty" drive. The DLNA from NG scans files a little different. Sometimes programmed to run in the background, sometimes not....
So this is the problem NG engineers are scrambled to find out the solution.
Couple with known faulty Circle firmware implementation, this render the system unstable over short period of time.
Past couple of weeks, I was muted to quietly observe my R8000 running the beta firmware. Same thing happened if I loaded all parameters on. I have 2 USB drives listed under NG compatible list, with lots of media files and the way DLNA scan them overloaded the memory, crashing the system. With DLNA off and Circle off, I'm fine for months...
So, the beta FW does not work and NG will probably not release it until they fix it further.
Best
Message 35 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

Let me know, please in next 2-3 days if your network is still stable?
All you mentioned above is most likely true. if you have relatively new " empty" drive. The DLNA from NG scans files a little different. Sometimes programmed to run in the background, sometimes not....
So this is the problem NG engineers are scrambled to find out the solution.
Couple with known faulty Circle firmware implementation, this render the system unstable over short period of time.
Past couple of weeks, I was muted to quietly observe my R8000 running the beta firmware. Same thing happened if I loaded all parameters on. I have 2 USB drives listed under NG compatible list, with lots of media files and the way DLNA scan them overloaded the memory, crashing the system. With DLNA off and Circle off, I'm fine for months...
So, the beta FW does not work and NG will probably not release it until they fix it further.
Best
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 36 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, was wondering why you were quiet on this? Also I pushed support for a Beta and was repeatedly told there was none at this time?

First, no Circle used, second, only the USB 2.0 drive attached, third, drive is NOT new, was taken of my wife's PC and it wasn't really being used, basically as place holder if I decide to get a new Ext. drive (probably would be USB 3.0 though), and forth, the drive was populated with a copy of the needed files that was on the PC when it was attached to the PC and then placed on the USB 2.0 port of the router. No .DLNA folder was on the drive and it was created by the router.

After quite heavy usage over the weekend it is still working perfectly.

My question to you is could the router damage the drive? I would suspect the OS's Filesystem is well tested and on I suspect every NG product? I'd also suspect the FS would not be doing delayed writes so the need for 'safely remove hardware' function would be unneeded?

So that makes me think the electronics in the drive enclosure is the culprit here. 9 year old drive anything is possible. It would not be the last Ext. drive to 'die' either? I have an older one that did too. The drive has not been under heavy use either. It basically was always back-up and rarely accessed. Even when it was on a PC before? For probably 5 years it sat on the R7000 and again, sporadically used. Files were rarely added to the drive as well, and none have been added since moving it to the R8000.

It all started to go south though when I was testing the USB 3.0 port don't forget? At first I could not read the USB 3.0 drive attached at all. Technically I can't see that damaging the drive? Since it was a 32GB Flashdrive I inserted, it was not self powered. Could the power handling caused either a spike or surge that could damage the USB 2.0 drive? Only 'reasonable' answer I can think of. Power is a different situation than software though? I'd be more willing to bet on power being the cause than software at this point.

I am reluctant to put a USB 3.0 drive on the router now. After awhile I was able to read and use it though and I don't know why that changed?

I do have a USB 3.0 Ext. drive attached to my PC used for backups weekly with Acronis. I could move the drive to the router and reconfigure Acronis to use it or just do a NET SHARE to the drive I guess? However I do not want to risk losing that drive or both.

If I delete the database (the whole .DLNA folder) somehow the s/w senses this and does rebuild it. I did have a 'small' problem when I first put the drive re-built to the old drive contents (all folders and files) that on the iPad I saw TWO identical folders with the same set of single folders below it when opened. Both appeared to be 'good' as I could use either. I then, while the drive was attached to the router, accessed the share and DELETE the .DLNA folder. Within a few minuted it was rebuilt. I was watching the process on the iPad. Opened AirPlayer, and I saw a single top level folder (good, not 2) and then opened that. At first only a few sub-folders, closed it, re-opened, and more sub-folders, repeating this over a few minutes until it was fully populated. I assume this would be the same as adding files to the drive? Still, it is working fine.

I am about to tell NG to close the case as a h/w issue of the drive. Other than a power 'glitch' do you know of any way the router could damage the drive. Oh, the router and my ISP modem do sit on a UPS if that matters, but the drive does NOT. All PC's here are on UPS's and they all report back to the PC on power problems. None have been shown other than an occasional power drop, but again, none happened since I bought and installed the R8000 in March?

Message 37 of 39
TerryPh
Virtuoso

@IrvSp

At present time, I do not think NG publicly or quietly sends out the Beta FW for R8000. Few weeks ago, I did sent the detailed report back to NG PM specifically ask not to release as an official FW on website, knowing there are still the problems in the test beta. I am hoping that they are still working on the flaws to figure it out. 

Please let me know in 2 days how the R8000 works with your USB 2.0 attached drives. 

How is it the Cirlcle on the router, did you turn it off or leave it on? I am not talking about using the Circle services, but the implement of Circle on the firmware and it is still faulty. NG informed me of the patch recently available from Circle, but still need to be implemented.

In all, I think it will be awhile before a new firmware is available.

Best

Terry

Message 38 of 39
IrvSp
Master

@TerryPh, all is GOOD... I'm declaring this a disk h/w issue!

No CIRCLE used at all or even enabled.

Message 39 of 39
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements