Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 VPN Service: public IP unchanged despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" option use

YuryK
Initiate

R8000 VPN Service: public IP unchanged despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" option use

Hi dear NetGear community. I have Netgear R8000 and like it a lot. Although, I have an issue with VPN while connecting to it from my Mac: Tunnelblick says "*Tunnelblick: This computer's apparent public IP address (x.x.x.x) was unchanged after the connection was made" despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" selected in router VPN settings. I have also noticed that configuration files don't have any difference if I change "Clients will use this VPN connection to access" option in router VPN setup. Setting option to route IPv4 traffic via VPN in Tunnelblick itself does not help either.

I'm using macOS 10.12.6, router FW V1.0.4.74_10.1.80 and Tunnelblick of version 3.8.5a (build 5671). I've installed openvpn configuration as recommended in Netgear KB article here.

I have searched this and other forums, but did not find a workable solution, despite older similar posts do exist. I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this issue and people already found a solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
YuryK
Initiate

Re: R8000 VPN Service: public IP unchanged despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Networ

Finally solved this right after making this post (as usual). The answer was found in this article and in short is: use "for smartphone" config and not "nonwindows". For smartphone has ovpn config file, while nonwindows seems to be outdated. This solved the issue for me! Hope it helps someone.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
YuryK
Initiate

Re: R8000 VPN Service: public IP unchanged despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Networ

Finally solved this right after making this post (as usual). The answer was found in this article and in short is: use "for smartphone" config and not "nonwindows". For smartphone has ovpn config file, while nonwindows seems to be outdated. This solved the issue for me! Hope it helps someone.

Message 2 of 4
babrsjutind
Aspirant

@YuryK wrote:

Hi dear NetGear community. I have Netgear R8000 and like it a lot. Although, I have an issue with VPN while connecting to it from my Mac: Tunnelblick says "*Tunnelblick: This computer's apparent public IP address (x.x.x.x) was unchanged after the connection was made" despite "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" selected in router VPN settings. I have also noticed that configuration files don't have any difference if I change "Clients will use this VPN connection to access" option in router VPN setup. Setting option to route IPv4 traffic via VPN in Tunnelblick itself does not help either.

I'm using macOS 10.12.6, router FW V1.0.4.74_10.1.80 and Tunnelblick of version 3.8.5a (build 5671). I've installed openvpn configuration as recommended in Netgear KB article here.

I have searched this and other forums, but did not find a workable solution, despite older similar posts do exist. I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this issue and people already found a solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am also facing same problem. I watched youtube videos but it messedup now and router not even turn on. Can you help me out.

Message 3 of 4

@babrsjutind wrote:

I am also facing same problem. I watched youtube videos but it messedup now and router not even turn on. Can you help me out.

Same problem? Possibly, possibly not. But your chances of getting much attention are low. The original message is marked as Solved and the official Netgear team is more likely to pay attention to fresh traffic.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

The first thing you can do is to explain what you mean by " router not even turn on".

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7