Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 — WiFi Region greyed out

Steve_AES
Aspirant

R8000 — WiFi Region greyed out

Has anyone managed to overcome the WiFi region when its greyed out? as I think its pretty poor on Netgears behalf to limit this function and disable it, seeing as they sell there products worldwide I'd have thought in this day and age when people move/emigrate from one country to another you should be able to change regions to accomodate or do Netgear expect you buy another? as after buying Netgear routers since the early 90's maybe its time to look at other products as I find this a pretty poor show

Message 1 of 5

@Steve_AES wrote:

seeing as they sell there products worldwide I'd have thought in this day and age when people move/emigrate from one country to another you should be able to change regions to accomodate or do Netgear expect you buy another?

I assume that you bought your router in the USA. You won't see that in devices sold in other countries. 

It seems to be down to the law in the USA. There's not much that Netgear can do if the FCC sets the rules.

@Steve_AES wrote:

Has anyone managed to overcome the WiFi region when its greyed out?

There are ways to unblock that, but they are not for the faint hearted.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – burnsku

Message 2 of 5
BernardLVH
Guide

You can revert to an earlier firmware to solve this issue.

I have the same problem being an expat in China.

After you revert do a signal strength test in different rooms with an App and a laptop and see which country has the strongest signal. 

I found USA usually has the best and a few other countries might match this as well.

Message 3 of 5

@BernardLVH wrote:

You can revert to an earlier firmware to solve this issue.

How would that work?

• Flash old firmware
  • Change region
  • Update firmware

If you do that, does the region stick and stay "greyed out"?

@BernardLVH wrote:

After you revert do a signal strength test in different rooms with an App and a laptop and see which country has the strongest signal. 

Remember, tare laws about these things, which is why Netgear creates those settings. I wouldn't want the Chinese police banging on my door because I had an alien wifi channel.

Message 4 of 5
Steve_AES
Aspirant

Hi Bernard

can you give me any help on which version would do it and where to get it from as all the ones on the Netgear site seem to continue to lock it out also the router was purchased in HK

Steve

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7