Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 and Comcast

mnarlock
Aspirant

R8000 and Comcast

Folks,

I'm new to the forum as I just purchased a Nightahwk AC3200 to replace the comcast router I have. At first I could not get an internet connection. The modem was in bridge mode. I solved my problem by following suggestions on this form and mac spoofing my workstations mac address. Voila! All is working fine. 

My question is, why did I have to do this? Is this sometehing particular with comcast routers? While I've not done, I suspect I could connect my laptop directly to my comcast modem/router when it's not in bridge mode and it would work just fine. So, why is it when I put it into bridge mode and connect a new router does it insist on mac spoofing? And what if I did have two computers hooked up the comcast device, which mac address would work? Does it take only the last computer connected to the device while in bridge mode? I'd call comcast and ask, just for the sake of knowing, but I'm sure they don't have a clue. 

Thanks.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R8000 and Comcast

It's not necessarily specific to Comcast, but many ISPs will only give you one IP address.  If you previously had a computer plugged into your modem, then it probably obtained that one IP address.  When you connected your router, it could not get an IP address until you spoofed your workstation's MAC address.  You can often avoid the use of MAC spoofing by power cycling the modem.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

It's not necessarily specific to Comcast, but many ISPs will only give you one IP address.  If you previously had a computer plugged into your modem, then it probably obtained that one IP address.  When you connected your router, it could not get an IP address until you spoofed your workstation's MAC address.  You can often avoid the use of MAC spoofing by power cycling the modem.

Message 2 of 5
mnarlock
Aspirant

By one IP do you mean internal or external? 

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

External.

Message 4 of 5
mnarlock
Aspirant

Thanks for the explanation! 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors