R8000 and EX6200

jdwlkr
Aspirant

R8000 and EX6200

We have a fairly large home (3,600 sq ft) with multiple wireless devices. Before we purchased the R8000 we had an Apple Airport Extreme. The signal strength was bad in our bonus room so we opted for the R8000 for better speed and better range. We also picked up an EX6200 at the same time to place in the bonus room where we have a PS3 and PS4, so we could run them wired.

Since day one we have experienced very odd disconnects with the R8000. Sometimes one of the 5GHz bands goes dark and no one can connect to it. And other times the router becomes completely unresponsive or so slow that it is unusable. The latest issue is the EX6200 now refuses to connect to the R8000 at all.

My desire is...a configuration that would allow 3 wired devices close to the router to maintain great speeds in order to stream Plex, Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. At any time we can have 2-3 streams going. Also, have 2 iphones, 3 ipads and 3 MacBook Pros have stable connections for general web browsing and email. Lastly, the most important desire is to have a solid connection to the EX6200 in the bonus room with minimal packet loss for the PS3 and PS4.

What is the best configuration for this. Also, can/should the EX6200 use Smart Connect on the R8000 or should I dedicate a band just for the EX6200?

I am a cloud engineer so hit me with what you've got. Lastly, the bonus room is simply too difficult to run cat6 to so that is not an option.
Message 1 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Re: R8000 and EX6200

I use powerline adapters to connect my entertainment suit up and get over 140 Mbps connection to the router wired. I have been happy with this setup.
Recommend you consider the 500 Mbps units if you go with this solution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008201&IsNodeId=1&Description=powerli...
Message 2 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

P.S. I have used a setup like this for two years now without a problem.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-XAVB1004-100NAS-Theater-Internet-Connection/dp/B002FB684E/ref=sr_1_1?i...
Message 3 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

5Ghz has shorter range compared to 2.4Ghz. But if you experience problem with 5Ghz even though you are close to the router then I suggest you try the beta firmware available in the forum post below:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=92801

R8000 Beta FW V1.0.1.8
http://files.netgear-support.com/go/?a=d&i=3hVTIssXF7
Message 4 of 9

Another vote here for Powerline. Excellent for streaming Amazon.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 9
jdwlkr
Aspirant

I do have some new generation powerline adapters with 600mbps across the circuit and gigabit ports. They worked fairly well but I was really wanting to get that extra speed by using the extender. I reworked everything last night and now I have a consistent connection the the extender at 702mbps. Very nice, but I am still experiencing a bit of packet loss. Any thoughts on this?
Message 6 of 9
trueshot
Aspirant

I have a similar issue with the Nighthawk X4 2350 and the EX6200 extender. If the extender has a weak 5ghz signal to the router, it will cause undefined and unreliable behavior. I don't want to move the extender for the same reason as you (keep wired to consoles), so I disabled the 5ghz transmission entirely on the extender and my issue disappeared. I'm far from a networking expert, but I think this has something to do with excessive retries from packet loss and beamforming. It seems like if the 5ghz connection experiences significant loss, both devices go into "overdrive" with retransmissions, causing them to become unstable. This will probably be fixed with a firmware update at some point, but I think as end users (speaking for myself at least) we are not using 5GHZ properly; it seems to really be designed for close range with the latest slew of routers. I posted about this here: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=93072
Message 7 of 9
CarolinaNomad
Aspirant

Sorry, this is my first post to this forum and I don't mean to steal the thread but I was wondering why everyone is using a wireless range extender instead of a wireless access point? Does it have to do with a wireless access point needs to be wired and the wireless range extender utilizes wireless?
Message 8 of 9
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

CarolinaNomad wrote:
Does it have to do with a wireless access point needs to be wired and the wireless range extender utilizes wireless?

Yes. My preference would be to use Powerline products or an AP, but for some people running the extra cable / power issues can be a problem so an extender might be better for them.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E