Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 and assigning Qos priority

AudioNutz
Tutor

R8000 and assigning Qos priority

I'm hoping someone from Netgear watches this community, since they don't allow you to report bugs like this.

I work from home so I MUST use Qos.  When I first started using this R8000 router, I could tell the router which device I wanted to have which "Priority".  Now I can't anymore.

To reproduce the issue, I do the following:

1. Go to "Attached Devices".
  2. Click the Radio Button next to the item I want to edit.
  3. Choose "Edit".
  4. Change the Device Name, the Device Priority, or the Device Type.  (Changing one, or changing all has the same results)
  5. Click Apply
  6. Observe that nothing changed.

One might think that without the ability to assign priority, Qos is not useful.  Does anyone have any hints on this?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
AudioNutz
Tutor

Re: R8000 and assigning Qos priority

@michaelkenward wrote:

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?
New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.
So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.
This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.
You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Awesome!

I don’t always do a factory reset when I update firmware, but in this case, I did when I discovered the other issue that I’m dealing with.  The twist, is that even though I was doing the factory reset, I was also using my saved config from before.

This time (today) I set everything back up from day 1, without using my backed up config, and the QoS priorities are now able to be saved. What a pain.

Thank you for helping!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
myersw
Master

Why do you say you MUST use QoS? What is your Internet speeds? Maybe not needed at all. 

Message 2 of 8
AudioNutz
Tutor

On a typical day, my internet speed is between 20 and 50 Mbps.  You would think that would be enough bandwidth, but if one or more of the kids is streaming something, my video conferences, VOIP, uploads and downloads get terrible quality.  Telling them not to stream during the day hasn’t been a practical solution this far.

Qos was really helping me... until it stopped allowing me to prioritize.

Message 3 of 8

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

@AudioNutz wrote:

Qos was really helping me... until it stopped allowing me to prioritize.

When did that happen? After a firmware update?

Message 4 of 8
AudioNutz
Tutor

Oh! Good idea.  The version on the device right now is V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

I noticed it has been happening for some time, so it may have come with the switch to V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 back in May.

I would revert back and check, but a recent experience has me a but shy on that.

Message 5 of 8

@AudioNutz wrote:

Oh! Good idea.  The version on the device right now is V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

@AudioNutz wrote:

I would revert back and check, but a recent experience has me a but shy on that.

That's your call. Not knowing about that "recent experience" it is hard to tell if the security gains from recent firmware outweigh the hassle with QoS.

As this is a mission critical device, my inclination would be to see if I can find a device that does what I want, a router that supports QoS as I want to run it.

Message 6 of 8
AudioNutz
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

Awesome!

I don’t always do a factory reset when I update firmware, but in this case, I did when I discovered the other issue that I’m dealing with.  The twist, is that even though I was doing the factory reset, I was also using my saved config from before.

This time (today) I set everything back up from day 1, without using my backed up config, and the QoS priorities are now able to be saved. What a pain.

Thank you for helping!

Message 7 of 8

@AudioNutz wrote:

The twist, is that even though I was doing the factory reset, I was also using my saved config from before.

Big mistake. That just runs the risk of bringing bugs back from the dead.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7