Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

R8000 - can R8000 merge 2.4g and 5 GHz network with smart connect?

as  smart connect in R8000 can only merge two 5G radio band,but it seem that cant be like smart connect in R7000 that can auto select 2.4/5G network for the device.

will it be added in the feture?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Highlighted

Re: R8000 - can R8000 merge 2.4g and 5 GHz network with smart connect?

It is hard to understand your message.

Do you want the 2.4/5G networks to use the same SSID?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

Another interesting - and very confusing feature. Thank you @sakurawill for bringing this up.

The information available ref "Smart Connect" is unclear ... nicely spoken again.

What is Smart Connect and how do I enable or disable it on my NETGEAR router? ... does talk fo the tri-band devices ad just the 5 GHz radios, applying to R7900, R8000, R8300, and R8500.

"Smart Connect balances your 5 GHz WiFi connections into two different radio bands: the 5 GHz radio 1 band and the 5 GHz radio 2 band. Your router uses Smart Connect to choose the best radio band for your device to give you the best WiFi performance."

What is tri-band WiFi and how does my Nighthawk router select the best WiFi band for my device? ...does shown an example of a tri-band with dual 5 GHz and a single 2.4 GHz radio, and is applying to R6900*, R7900, R8000, R8300, R8500, and R9000**.

"Tri-band WiFi delivers higher throughput by combining WiFi speeds through three dedicated WiFi bands—a 2.4 GHz band, plus two 5 GHz bands. This additional 5 GHz WiFi band allows you to double the WiFi bandwidth for dual-band devices.
Smart Connect intelligently selects the best WiFi band for each dual-band device to optimize connection speed and performance based on that device’s speed and performance. The router automatically manages your WiFi connections, performing load balancing across the two 5 GHz radios." 

*the R6900 is a dual-band very similar to the R7000 which is covered by Configuring Smart Connect on your Nighthawk R7000

**the R9000 is a tri-band, but with single 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and a 60 GHz radio ... and I can't find neither a control to enable Smart Connect (as on all others), nor any KB reference for it.

To make the confusion complete? They also talk (and refer to) Load Balancing" ... What is load balancing and how does my Nighthawk X6 R8000 router use this feature? The router uses load balancing to -distribute WiFi connections among all three WiFi bands, to ensure that both the WiFi bands are utilized, ...and is applying to R6900, R7900, R8000.

Conclusion? Beyond the (one more mess discovered) I would lie ... 

@ElaineM please, your turn. Thank you again.

-Kurt

Message 3 of 6
Highlighted
Aspirant

yes,it is what you said.

but it won't selects the best wireless band for your wireless clients,as the smart connect can't control 2.4g network for R8000

Message 4 of 6
Highlighted
Guru

@sakurawill wrote:

but it won't selects the best wireless band for your wireless clients,as the smart connect can't control 2.4g network for R8000

Is this based on the fact that enabling Smart Control does not force set the same SSID and passphrase to the 2.4 GHz interface?

The system implemented under the label "Smart Control" (or "Load Balancing") might not properly work with each client properly. Have not investigated what the AP STA really does to implement the "Smart Control". It might for example reject a STA (client) on a radio he does not want it (because of old standard for example slowing donw all clients on the same radio, and then allow the client STA to roam over fast using 802.11r ... for example).

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@sakurawill You may submit that feature under our Idea Exchange board for our engineers to review and take it into consideration for future firmware enhancement. 

As for the R6900 and R9000, I will have the team correct the said articles. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 6