Highlighted
Tutor

R8000 drops internet connection

Have owned this Router for approx. 6 months and have had problems with it from day 1.  I bought this one since I already have a NetGear CM400 Modem and thought having the two by the same brand would be easier to manage.

Have been noticing intermittent internet dropp offs via wireless and wired.  When Picking up a device (say iPad Air), I go to the browser, type in an URL and then it connects.  Once clicking a link on a page, the process of loading the next page seems to stall.  Only after disconnecting and reconnecting from my wireless network resolves this problem.  

I have constantly tracked this problem since day one with no positive results and have kept my firmware up to date religiously.  The unit is currently at V1.0.4.4_1.1.42 as of last night's update.  However, when accessing the internet via my wired connection, noticed the same symptoms.  I've rebooted my router after the router upgrade, and again today along with my CM400.  

What I've noticed is that certain devices are grabbing the 5GHz connection and others are picking up the 2.4GHz, however, as the devices are sitting right next to me and the router (as I type) they have switched from 5GHz to 2.4 GHZ and vice versa.  I tried looking at the router log, but there are no entries between May (when I bought the device) and 22 DEC 2017, which seemed odd as I have all the options for logging selected, and have performed multiple reboots, firmware updates, remote logins, etc.  

Long story short, I've reviewed all of the threads on this, nothing has worked, and I'm about to toss this (and maybe my cable modem) just to find a resolution to this problem.  If anyone has any suggestions; channel changing, QOS settings, IPV6 Issues, DNS Issues, ANYTHING I'd be willing to give it a last ditch effort.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: R8000 drops internet connection

In short, I have essentially the same problem. After many technical support calls and few return/exchange, I decided to down grade from newest firmware to older version v1.0.3.54 and the router works flawlessly again. NETGEAR engineers, this one is on you... Please check the newest firmware to find out what causing the dropping of internet, particularly why it changes the IPv4 to something else rather than 192.168.1.xxx... this is where the problem starts..
Model: R6800|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

gda-7 wrote: 

I tried looking at the router log, but there are no entries between May (when I bought the device) and 22 DEC 2017, which seemed odd as I have all the options for logging selected, and have performed multiple reboots, firmware updates, remote logins, etc.

Logs are limited in how much data they can hold. Expecting it to retain details for more than six months is unrealistic.

If you want to retain logs for that long, set it up to email them to you and then file them away somewhere safe.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Tutor

Understand that log files shouldn't be that big, I just found it odd that there were no entries in between May and December even though I've performed various activities that would warrant logging.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Tutor

Terry, 

Appreciate the info, however, I'm going to have to assume that at some point the router was running on the older firmware you mentioned.  This problem I've been going on ever since I purchased this router, so unless the firmware was a newer version when I purchased it, I don't think this will fix the problem.  I'll give it a go and let you know.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Virtuoso

See if it resolves the problem. And I was persistent with tech support, that if the downgrade FW does not work, then it has to be hardware problem, you can persistently ask them for an exchange...
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted

@gda-7 wrote:

Understand that log files shouldn't be that big, I just found it odd that there were no entries in between May and December ...

Not in the least bit odd. Exactly what you would expect.

You said earlier:

I have all the options for logging selected

This means that it is logging everything. What you see is a sign that it has flushed out everything before 22 DEC 2017 to make room for fresh information.

The first date probably is not log data but a date stamp dredged out of memory to say when you first used the thing.

As I said, if logging is important to you, don't expect a device with limited memory (128 MB Flash and 256 MB RAM), allocated as only Netgear knows, to store gigabits of data. Get it to send you a copy.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements