Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R8000 drops wifi routinely

VJOGuy
Aspirant

R8000 drops wifi routinely

My Nighthawk router works okay for the most part.  But it randomely drops wifi with my iMac, iPhones, iPads, etc...and not allways all of them together.  Currently, my other devices remain connected to my network, but my iMac will not connect.  I've input the password (copy/paste from password manager, so it's correct) multiple times and it just will not join with my network!  Very frustrating and still within the 90 days.  

1.  Any possible solutions out there?

2.  Should I just return it and get a different one?  I keep reading online about this issue with this particular router.  

Thanks!

Chris

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

What modem is it connected to? 

What firmware version is it on?

Did you go into your mac and "forget" the network?

Message 2 of 9
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Thanks for responding!

The modem that my Netgear Nighthawk is attached to is an T-Mobile TM-RTL0102 LTE WiFi Gateway modem.  

Are you asking for the firmware on the LTE modem?  Or on the Nighthawk?  On the Nitghthawk, it's V1.0.4.68_10.1.75  

No, I did not chose the option to "forget" the network.  

I hope that gives you information that you can use to help me out with this!  

Thank you in advance!

Chris

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

You can try the "forget network" option to see if an old setting is causing it. 

It could also be that you've got 2 routers in router mode running on the network. The tmobile device has its own integrated router functions and it cuases a double nat. 

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You could try the r8000 in access point mode. 

Message 4 of 9
AgentX1
Aspirant

I have this same issue with my Apple devices. Usually we just need to toggle WiFi off and on again and it is fine, but it is extremely annoying. Have you found a solution yet to your similar issues? I am running the same firmware as you, but only have one router (this one) in the mix, so not double NAT as the culprit here. 

Message 5 of 9
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Yes, actually I did!  I gave support one more shot at it and it seems to finally be fixed!

In the router settings, click on the Advanced tab.  Click Setup.  And then Wirelss Setup.  UNcheck Smart Connect.

Smart Connect was apparently the culprit.  It's been 10 days now, and my connections are finally stable (I could never get past three days before).  Hoping this is permanent, as I got sick and tired of constantly turning wifi on and off.  These routers cost too much money to have to require that!

Hope the same thing works for you.  

Message 6 of 9
AgentX1
Aspirant

I unchecked that about a month ago and it made things better, but not perfect. Still the occasional issue. Frustrating... but thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Message 7 of 9
David501
Guide

I have had the exact same problem with the latest Fimware (V1.0.4.68_10.1.75) and have reverted back to the last 5 Firmware updates with the same problem.

I have finally found that R8000-V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 is the Firmware that works for me and is completely stable.

- "Smart Connect" is unchecked in my Wireless Setup settings.

It has been frustrating reloading the older Firmwares on each occassion and not sure if the problem is on NetGear's side or my older 2012 computer - Lenovo T410. The latest and past few firmware updates may not be compatible with my older wi-fi card in my Lenovo ThinkPad T410 and/or other older copmponents.

You could do what I did and download the past Firmwares from the NetGear download site for the NightHawk R8000 X6 AC3200 and get to a stable verion that suites your computer as I did but I have found V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 to work for me.

Best of luck - very frustrating!

Message 8 of 9
VJOGuy
Aspirant

Great idea.  Thank you!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo