Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 giving massively reduced speeds Wireless AND ethernet

Vandrakus
Aspirant

R8000 giving massively reduced speeds Wireless AND ethernet

I recently upgraded my internet to 1gig and after getting it all set up I noticed my router is throwing the wrong speeds. When wired directly to my modem speed tests register at roughly 900mbs, when through the nighthawk (wired) its maxing out at about 150mbs, wireless is similar. I have tried disabling Armor, turning off QoS and nothing is fixing the issue. Does anyone have a suggestion or maybe know of a stable firmware version that they'd recommend? Unfortunately netgear doesn't offer appropriate support for their multi-hundred dollar devices which I can't stress enough is the exact reason I will no longer be purchasing netgear products in the future. I have always loved past products by this company, but how can you charge me a minimum of $90.00 to receive support on an issue YOU caused with a bad firmware update. I wonder if they've purposely pushed faulty updates in the past to force people to purchase their support contracts...
R8000 
Firmware Version
V1.0.4.76_10.1.82

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: R8000 giving massively reduced speeds Wireless AND ethernet

@Vandrakus wrote:

I recently upgraded my internet to 1gig and after getting it all set up I noticed my router is throwing the wrong speeds. When wired directly to my modem speed tests register at roughly 900mbs, when through the nighthawk (wired) its maxing out at about 150mbs, wireless is similar.

When you set up the new service, did you reset the R8000 and set it up from fresh?

You need to tell it to forget any settings inherited from your old service.

Wifi speeds tell us, and you, nothing about the connection speed to the Internet. They just tell us about the wifi technology on your wifi clients. Nothing is going to get you wifi at "1 gig", or anywhere near it for most clients.

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

when you do the factory reset as @michaelkenward mentioned, make sure during the reinstall to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls all disabled. 

Message 3 of 8
NixZ
Aspirant

Hi

I have the same problem on my 1 gbit line.

I did a factory reset.

Reuploaded the latest firmware.

I did a hard reset.

Now i started with a new setup, it must be the fourth time.

But i think i have found the bug.

I use "access control" with "Block all new devices from connecting"  

If i turn "access control" to OFF then i have my speed back and block or allow all new devices from connecting dosent matter.

With "access control" ON, then my speed drops to 1/4 down 248Mbps up 309Mbps

With "access control" OFF, then my speed back to normal 1/4 down 823Mbps up 905Mbps

So what to do?

I want to use access control, my Lan feels more secured.

Message 4 of 8
Vandrakus
Aspirant

I assumed I did using the red reset button, I had to rebuild my name/password and all ports were reset/ all settings reverted to default so again I assumed it was reset, but digging into advanced settings I found an "erase all" option that completely hard reset the device. I was still having slow speeds and notices my firmware was the original one at the time of this device's release and so I decided to go to a firmware version 1.0.2.44 and my speeds are now correct. I am afraid to update the firmware and have the issue occur again.

"When you set up the new service, did you reset the R8000 and set it up from fresh?

You need to tell it to forget any settings inherited from your old service.

Wifi speeds tell us, and you, nothing about the connection speed to the Internet. They just tell us about the wifi technology on your wifi clients. Nothing is going to get you wifi at "1 gig", or anywhere near it for most clients."

Message 5 of 8

@Vandrakus wrote:

I assumed I did using the red reset button, I had to rebuild my name/password and all ports were reset/ all settings reverted to default so again I assumed it was reset, but digging into advanced settings I found an "erase all" option that completely hard reset the device.

The physical "reset" button is supposed to do the same thing as the "erase all" option in the browser graphical user interface (GUI). I am not surprised that they did the same thing.

I was still having slow speeds and notices my firmware was the original one at the time of this device's release and so I decided to go to a firmware version 1.0.2.44 and my speeds are now correct. I am afraid to update the firmware and have the issue occur again.

That is why one of the first questions when troubleshooting is about the firmware version. There seem to have been more than 30 new versions since original release in 2016, so it is not surprising that your performance was a bit hobbled. Glad you got it worked out.

I am afraid to update the firmware and have the issue occur again.

No reason to fear that.

You are still a long way behind the latest version. Still five years out of date, you are almost certainly missing several security updates, and possibly various improvements in performance.

You can always go back to an earlier version if the newest causes problems. You should not need to reset the thing between versions.

When you have got everything working to your liking, create a backup of your router's configuration and keep it somewhere safe. Then you can restore that into any firmware version you like.

Message 6 of 8
Vandrakus
Aspirant

"The physical "reset" button is supposed to do the same thing as the "erase all" option in the browser graphical user interface (GUI). I am not surprised that they did the same thing."

I think you misread my comment, they DID NOT do the same thing. The red reset button reset my network name and password and nothing else, the internal digital option to erase all is what ACTUALLY did what it was supposed to do.

"That is why one of the first questions when troubleshooting is about the firmware version. There seem to have been more than 30 new versions since original release in 2016, so it is not surprising that your performance was a bit hobbled. Glad you got it worked out."

Again I think you misread my comment, I was using the latest firmware when I was experiencing these issues, rolling back to the previous version as stated above is what finally gave me the appropriate connection speeds, hence my comment about being fearful of updating back to the version that gave my throttled speeds.

And my fears were proven to be legitimate. My router went through and auto update to the latest version and my wifi speeds have been cut down considerably. Not only that but almost every webpage I attempt to load I get stuck with an error for at least 10 seconds before it attempts to reconnect to the webpage. I also am experiencing server connectivity issues depending on the game I try to play, keeps telling me the connection is too weak to connect to the server. 
Error reads as follows

This site can’t be reached

Check if there is a typo in google.com.

• If spelling is correct, try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

*I am nearing the end of my patience with this device*.

Message 7 of 8

@Vandrakus wrote:

I think you misread my comment, they DID NOT do the same thing. The red reset button reset my network name and password and nothing else, the internal digital option to erase all is what ACTUALLY did what it was supposed to do.

Or your "explanation" was confused.

Two possibilities, you did not press the physical reset button properly, or you didn't dig deeply enough into the settings. The two have the same role. Here is what the manual says:

Pressing the Reset button restores the factory settings. See Factory Settings on page 189.

Where is says:

You can return the router to its factory settings. Use the end of a paper clip or a similar object to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the router for at least seven seconds. The router resets and returns to the factory configuration settings shown in the following table.

In the GUI, the controls:

You can back up (save) this file to your computer, restore it, or reset it to the factory default settings.

Spot the difference.

There is no accounting for user error.

">DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

On that particular error, did you try this?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

You are just another victim. Rather than flailing around and wasting your time, try reading some of those conversations.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7