R8000 just bought. My Netgear switch is only getting a 169...

Serial45
Aspirant

R8000 just bought. My Netgear switch is only getting a 169...

Hey guys,
Just bought an r8000 absolutely love it compare to my by home hub 6.

With my home hub I gave a Netgear 4 port gigabits switch in the attic. For some reason when it's connected to my r8000 all of the devices are only getting a 169 ip address.

I've tried the standard things like turning everything off and rebooting but no joy. Also in the router config pages it doesn't show any of the switch devices connected.

I have the broadband connection going into the internet port. I have the switch plugged into port 2 on my switch and my pc plugged into port 1. Getting internet fine on port 1 and wireless.

Any help much appreciated I honestly don't know what else I can do. I've looked for any kind of settings on the router. Can't find any?
Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 25
IrvSp
Master

Re: R8000 just bought. My Netgear switch is only getting a 169...

You tag line is wrong if that matters, A6200 USB Adapter :-)

Does it start with 169.254? If so see this, https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-ip-address-starting-with-169-254/.

Suspect the wired PC got a DHCP address from the R8000 and can work. That is because you probably set the router up with that PC. It has the correct GATEWAY IP Address, probably 192.168.1.1 (in a Windows command prompt enter IPCONFIG /ALL and it will be in the list). However those connected to the switch are looking at a different Gateway to get to a DHCP server for an IP Address consistent with the router's LAN. Probably because your old Home Hub 6 had a different IP Address from the R8000.

The fix is to change those devices attached to the switch to look for the R8000. Differs from device to device how to do this. Usually dropping the existing known network and then powering off and back on. In some cases you might need to FORGET the network, depends on device. Some might work just by powering off and on again. Others could need some property changes....

Message 2 of 25
antinode
Guru

> With my home hub I gave a Netgear 4 port gigabits switch in the attic.

Five-port?  Actual model number?

> For some reason when it's connected to my r8000 all of the devices are
> only getting a 169 ip address.

Do the port LED indicators indicate a good physical link?  Not being
connected to a DHCP server would be one easy way to get a self-assigned
(169.254.x.y) address.

> [...] in the router config pages [...]

_Where_ "in the router config pages"?  BASIC > Attached Devices?

> [...] it doesn't show any of the switch devices connected.

Not being connected to the router would explain that.

> Can't find any?

Shouldn't need any.

> [...] those connected to the switch are looking at a different Gateway
> to get to a DHCP server [...]

Not really.  A DHCP request is broadcast to the LAN; no gateway is
required or desired.  (DHCP is how a client _gets_ a gateway address.
DHCP would seldom work if a gateway address were needed to use it.)

Message 3 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

You could be into something here!
At present as I'm awaiting the arrival of a hauwei modem I'm just using the port 1 out on my BT home hub. So the r8000 router gateway IP is a 192.168.x.x number.
Message 4 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

The modem number is gs605 v2 yeah it's a 5 port model.

The lights are mostly just on the switch here s an image attached.

In the router page it's the attached devices page it has all connected 2.4ghz / 5ghz and the hard wired list, which just shows my pc connected.
Message 5 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:
The modem number is gs605 v2 yeah it's a 5 port model.

The lights are mostly just on the switch here s an image attached.

In the router page it's the attached devices page it has all connected 2.4ghz / 5ghz and the hard wired list, which just shows my pc connected.

That picture is confusing?

Edimax is the modem or the switch? I see a single line going to it? Power on with 1 port light lit???? I assume that is a modem and will go to the R8000?

The GS605 is the NG switch. User Guide at http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS608/gs605_608_install_guide.pdf?_ga=2.30498751.18934359.... I clearly see 4 cables to it, might be more? Internet in (from the R8000?), power and what might be 2 wired devices (PC's?)?

No picture of the R8000? If you only have 2 (or 3) PC's running to the switch, why not put them on the R8000?

Who actually is connected to who with what cable?

How many ports are being used on the R8000? Only one for your PC?

How many ports are being used on the switch? If 3 or less, why can't you plug them into the R8000? Too far away?

Message 6 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Ok so.

My router and internet connection are in a downstairs cupboard. We have an rj45 socket that goes from this cupboard into the attic with 5 cabled connections. These lead go our cctv camera system. A television in the bathroom and multiple other devices around the house.

The cupboard under the stairs is too far to run cables to and there isn't enough ports on the router to support this. Three of them are currently used. We have 8 cabled connections in total so need a switch.

We've had This system in place for over 6 years and it works fine when connected this way to the bt home hub.

The lights are solid the picture isn't the best.

Message 7 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:
Ok so.

My router and internet connection are in a downstairs cupboard. We have an rj45 socket that goes from this cupboard into the attic with 5 cabled connections. These lead go our cctv camera system. A television in the bathroom and multiple other devices around the house.

The cupboard under the stairs is too far to run cables to and there isn't enough ports on the router to support this. Three of them are currently used. We have 8 cabled connections in total so need a switch.

We've had This system in place for over 6 years and it works fine when connected this way to the bt home hub.

The lights are solid the picture isn't the best.

I assume you did put the R8000 in place of another router, the Home Hub 6, right?

The modem to router must be right for the wired PC and wireless to be working. So that would sort of make the area to look at be the router to switch connection.  On the R8000, what LED's are lit besides the power and Internet? Specifically the ports, I'd expect only 2 port connections to light. If so, what colors are they?

Normally that switch should act as just more ports for the router. Sounds like that is how you had it working before?

What are the camera's? Are there any setup within the camera you had to do to enable them?

The only 3 things I can think of is:

1. Switch cable gone bad (LED would show nothing for port on router)?
  2. Router at a different address than the old router?
  3. Which sort of echoes #2 in the there is a router setting in the camera setup?

To rule out the camera's, do you have a PC or laptop you can plug into the switch and see if it works?

Message 8 of 25

@Serial45 wrote:
You could be into something here!
At present as I'm awaiting the arrival of a hauwei modem I'm just using the port 1 out on my BT home hub. So the r8000 router gateway IP is a 192.168.x.x number.

Most variants of the BT homehub will not function in modem only mode. It insists on being the only router on your network. (Just check the BT forum for the swear words that this provokes.) So your R8000 needs to be in access point mode to avoid confusion.

Then again, there is so much hardware of indeterminate functionality on this network it is anyone's guess as to which box is handling which function.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Everything works fine on it so far other than issuing any of my devices on the switch an IP. All 5 devices have 169 up addresses.

The wireless performance is outstanding, even works in my garage!
Anyways the missus advised me my Huawei modem has arrived today so I can be 100% rid of the dreaded by home hub.
L
Message 10 of 25

@Serial45 wrote:

Anyways the missus advised me my Huawei modem has arrived today so I can be 100% rid of the dreaded by home hub.

It is amazing that BT peddles that beast. I guess it is aimed at the market for trouble-free installation and operation. But anyone who wants to do anything slightly different can go whistle.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 11 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Ok so i'm all up and running with the huawei modem. I cannot tell you how unbelivably happy I am to be rid of that SATANIC homehub. I might actually smash the **bleep** thing to bits!!

So internet is all fine, but still nothing on my netgear switch.

Here's an answer to some questions above.

I'm using port 4 on the netgear r8000 to feed the switch from the attic into, It passes through an RJ45 socket to RJ45 socket in the attic, then a network lead into the feed in port 1 on the switch.

The 4th port light on the r8000 is flickering so it indicates connectivity. The switch in the attic, port 1 is flickering (the feed in one) and ports 2-5 are just static.

Other than turning the switch off and on I don't know what else I can do? i've also tried releasing / reneing the IP on some of the devices connected they are just coming up with a 169.254 address

Message 12 of 25

Let's clarify things.

The new modem feeds the router that then connects to the switch in the roof. (Where does the Edimax thing fit into the picture?)

What is this "network lead into the feed in port 1 on the switch"?

When you installed the new modem, did you reboot the whole network in the specified order?

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

You can't just swap out one component for another and expect everything to work.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:

Other than turning the switch off and on I don't know what else I can do? i've also tried releasing / reneing the IP on some of the devices connected they are just coming up with a 169.254 address

Let us see what each is looking at, the working PC and non-working PC. I'll assume you have some version of Windows on each of these? In each one, OPEN a COMMAND PROMPT and enter IPCONFIG /ALL. It should have data for a few adapters, but in each the Ethernet device is the one that I'd like to see, like this:

EDIT: I didn't see RED when posted... just post your results... the 192.168.1.1 that I have I'd like to know what you have one your good and bad PC.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-B1-56-DD-xx-xx
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::58bf:9e27:bf45:87e8%8(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:46:25 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 8, 2018 7:46:24 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 49852758
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1D-04-98-17-F8-B1-56-DD-6A-5B
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

The THREE in RED are the ones I'd like to see. They all should point at the router's IP Address, in my case 192.168.1.1.

Just do a CUT and PASTE (like I did) here each one.

Message 14 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

The edimax chains off the netgear switch again has no connection.

I've tried rebooting in the sequence provided but no joy Smiley Sad.

I also have a homeplug that feeds off the switch that leads to an apple access point. Same again 169. Sigh. The hub works fine when connected to my Home hub..

My r8000 chose the 10.1 up range as it picked up 192.168 was being used when I chained it off the homehub. Could this have anything to do with the issue?
Message 15 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:

My r8000 chose the 10.1 up range as it picked up 192.168 was being used when I chained it off the homehub. Could this have anything to do with the issue?

Yes, I think EVERYTHING!

That is why I was asking to see the  respective IPCONFIG output.

Those devices are looking for 192.168.1.1 I bet as the DNS Server and Gateway. You took the Homehub out of the setup and lost that IP Address. When it was in, the router couldn't use that IP Address during setup and then went to the next Private Network, 10.1.x.x.

If you open the Genie with a browser at 10.1.1.1 (or whatever the R8000 IP Address is?) you'll see that IP Address on the ADVANCED tab at the top, SETUP, LAN SETUP on the left. Change it there on the IP Address to 192.168.1.1, press apply (might need to reboot everything in order, not sure?) and I think that should fix it. Have a problem, use 192.168.1.1 to get back into the router.

Also possible that if you run the SETUP WIZARD with the HomeHub out of the circuit it might work and solve the problem as well, not sure?

Message 16 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Ok so i've issued the 192.168.1.1 ip address to the router, everything is now working and connected on the range, But still only 169.254 on any devices connected to the switch, for some reason the new router just isn't working with the switch devices. I'm at a loss with this big time Smiley Sad.

Message 17 of 25
IrvSp
Master

OK, I've re-read the entire thread here.

I'm quite confused... I assumed the old router address was set into the devices on the switch.

Did you try what I asked in #13?

How do you know those on the switch are getting the Windows default IP Addresses?

Can you try another port besides #4 on the router connecting to the switch?

Can you try connecting the switch cable to the PC and see it that is OK, and that means taking the PC to the switch I guess? If it SHOULD work, put the cable back in the switch and then the PC into a switch port and test?

Message 18 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

I

> How do you know those on the switch are getting the Windows default IP Addresses?

I've connected a iMAC directly from the switch via ethernet and tried to refresh the IP comes back with 169. Also tried a smart TV i have connected via ethernet - same issue 169.254 Ip address.

> Can you try another port besides #4 on the router connecting to the switch?

I've tried ports 4,3 and 1 - no joy.

> Can you try connecting the switch cable to the PC and see it that is OK, and that means taking the PC to the switch I guess? If it   SHOULD work, put the cable back in the switch and then the PC into a switch port and test?

Do you mean plug the PC into port 1 on the switch? will give this a go.

Message 19 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:

How do you know those on the switch are getting the Windows default IP Addresses?

I've connected a MAC directly from the switch via ethernet and tried to refresh the IP comes back with 169. Also tried a smart TV i have connected via ethernet - same issue 169.254 Ip address.

Fine, but HOW do they know where to connect?  On a Mac, look here, http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/05/find-router-ip-address-mac/, and see what is shown?

@Serial45 wrote:.

Can you try connecting the switch cable to the PC and see it that is OK, and that means taking the PC to the switch I guess? If it SHOULD work, put the cable back in the switch and then the PC into a switch port and test?

Do you mean plug the PC into port 1 on the switch? will give this a go.

No, go to the switch, remove the cable from the router and plug that into a PC/Mac and see if you get Internet or even show on the Router Access list. If that works, then put the cable back in the switch and the PC/Mac into one of the other switch ports and test.

Message 20 of 25
antinode
Guru

> OK, I've re-read the entire thread here.
> I'm quite confused...

I'm with him.  My vote is still for client devices being unable to
talk to the (DHCP server in the) router.  The blurry picture told me
approximately nothing, and I have no idea where all those wires go.

What I would do is:

1. Forget the Internet (and the modem, ...).  You appear to have a
LAN problem.

2. Simplify the hardware configuration.  Reset the router.  Connect
(only) a computer to it.  Verify that the computer can get a valid IP
configuration from the router's DHCP server.

3. Start adding hardware -- cables, switches, whatever -- _one_ piece
at a time, and watch for things to fail.  When you can get the whole LAN
to work as expected, _then_ try connecting the router to the modem.

Message 21 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Ok so I've completely stripped the switch out of the attic and set it up right next to the router.

I've rebooted everything in sequence and still not getting an ip address. The windows network manager is Stuck on identifying the network.

I'm almost convinced now it's some crazy incompatibility problem.

Going to order a new switch tomorrow
Message 22 of 25
IrvSp
Master

Before you do that, verify it isn't the router! Take the router out, go from modem from to switch and see what happens? Also if you still have the old router, put it back in and see what happens...

Since you have the switch close to the router, try another cable from router to switch...

Message 23 of 25
IrvSp
Master

@Serial45 wrote:

I'm using port 4 on the netgear r8000 to feed the switch from the attic into, It passes through an RJ45 socket to RJ45 socket in the attic, then a network lead into the feed in port 1 on the switch.

The 4th port light on the r8000 is flickering so it indicates connectivity. The switch in the attic, port 1 is flickering (the feed in one) and ports 2-5 are just static.

I've read the thread and this comment stuck me as odd? Flickering lights means 'traffic'? Router to switch is flickering you say, but the other 4 ports are solid (static). So where is the traffic going to or coming from? Is the switch trying to get something from the router? I don't think this is normal, but it has been a real long time I've messed with a switch. Have you looked at the router log and seen any constant traffic being logged?

Message 24 of 25
Serial45
Aspirant

Hey guys just an update.

I ordered a new 8 port switch off amazon, came today, i've connected it up and it's 100% working with the router.

For some reason this 5 port one just doesn't work with the router.

I've gone back and tested the 5 port on the BT home hub and it's fine.

I've never in all my life not had a switch work with a router. Particuarly due to the fact it's the same brand. OK the netgear switch is pretty old, but still has me baffled!

Anyways no complaints happy it's all working

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements